• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Coricidin's Long-Term Negative Effects

I have not read all the replies, but I would like to add that there are better sources of DXM, even without extracting it. Coricidin has other drugs in it that can make you bleed out of your ass and eyeballs if you take enough of it. Do yourself a favor and get just DXM or at least get it combined with less harmful combinations and do some proper research into what those are.

I forget which Robotuseein is supposed to be better than using Coricidin, whether its DM or one of the other ones. Even better is pure DXM.

I did Coricidin back in '98 when all the sources on the internet then were saying it was safe. I was only 19 then so watch out kiddies..the internet doesn't always have up to date info and it's only years afterwards where you might find out that something fucks you up. I'm lucky in that I don't feel that i've had any negative effects from it. I used to trip quite hard at my friend's house and I remember going through a pretty strong trip with 6-11 pills at once.

cpm is crack-nasty,
waking up the next day after drinking cough syrup ill just look pale from all the sugar/high-fructose corn syrup content shit.
taking shit with cpm makes you look spun-out as fuck,
there are robitussin cough syrups with cpm too,

guaifenesin never bothered me it changes the fry a bit but maybe thats placebo, never looked into it much. wont touch acetaminophen at all;
pseudoephedrine made for a fucked up fry where i could see my brain and skull splintering. never saw any syrup with asprin though.
but cpm has to be the worst out of all of those other active ingredients.

the only one ive had to deal with multiple times was guaifenesin, but most dm syrups on have 10mg per table spoon which cuts down on the dose of dxm a lot, so its kind of a waste to buy dm syrups.

maximum strength mucinex dm works if your desperate but they're basically horse pills and taste like shit when you split them in two, 60mg dxm per pill and 14 of them tisn't that bad if you don't mind guaifenesin.

The point is that Coricidin is far from just DXM. No one's saying that DXM alone did any singificant damage. We're specifically saying that Coricidin did. Coricidin contains Chlorpheniramine maleate and when Coricidin is taken at recreational doses, a very dangerous dosage of CPM is taken, along with DXM, and this causes not only eye damage but brain damage. There is no question at all that Coricidin is damaging to the health with a single use at recreational dosages that anyone would have to take to even get an effect. It's simply stupid to take it to trip, bottom line. There are any number of DXM-only products that are also over-the-counter which are safe to take.

Again, no one here is saying that DXM has lasting negative effects. Coricidin, however, most surely does. To believe otherwise is to delude yourself in a dangerous manner.

Also, no one is talking about HPPD here. We're talking about damage to the language centers of the brain and the ability to think coherently and quickly. Coricidin has even caused a number of deaths and dosages that people report using for a regular dose, and a great many more hospitalizations.

Hey asshole, the OP mentioned a visual symptom that he gets that i get because of HPPD.

"Asshole"? Do you really think that was in the least bit necessary, Shaolin? :\

Guaifenesin is a dissociative by itself. It can be a pretty intense drug, but not really a fun drug like DXM. Its not as bad as a secondary ingredient compared to some of them you might find that are more dangerous.

Holy shit triple C's paralyze me...literally. I have only done them 4 times because I hate them. I take a whole package of coricidin cough and cold and then I can't move when they kick in. It's an awful feeling. And the trip is very strange.

Holy shit triple C's paralyze me...literally. I have only done them 4 times because I hate them. I take a whole package of coricidin cough and cold and then I can't move when they kick in. It's an awful feeling. And the trip is very strange.

You really should do some research on trip c's. There the worst to take for a dxm trip man. The only way ccc is safe is for 1st and 2nd plateau trips....when you take enough for 3rd 4th and sigma plateau your risking your life(look on erowid) im not telling you how to live your life just be careful, there's plenty of dxm only products that are far safer(even up to say 1600 mg, possibly more) such as robotussin liquid gels, or zicam spray, or sucrets throat lozenges(crush up a bunch and mix in drink of your choice). You should avoid coricidin.

Hey asshole,

I doubt that name-calling leads to productive conversation.

the OP mentioned a visual symptom that he gets that i get because of HPPD.

The eye damage I experience is most definitely not HPPD. It's not an hallucination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen_persisting_perception_disorder said:
"Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder or HPPD is a disorder characterized by a continual presence of visual disturbances that are reminiscent of those generated by the ingestion of hallucinogenic substances."

What I have is not a continuation of any hallucinatory effect. It's a continuation of a toxic effect. This is not like "visual snow" or static. It's a spray of very bright dots that is set off by looking at relatively bright objects. It's like a bunch of retinal cells overreacting to light, ready to burn out completely. It did not happen before the Coricidin.

Guaifenesin is a dissociative by itself. It can be a pretty intense drug, but not really a fun drug like DXM. Its not as bad as a secondary ingredient compared to some of them you might find that are more dangerous.

i think guaifenesin causes temporary erectile dysfunction >.>
don't think its a dissociative though; maybe a combination effect between another drug would make it "dissociative"

I've done Triple C's over 50 times in the last year, took up 20 at once and mixed it with heroin on occasion. No damage, just some slight pain in my eye sockets while coming down. Though I don't doubt the risks involved with these, chlorpheniramine maleate is just poison to your body. And speaking of MucinexDM... STAY AWAY.. 4/6 people i know personally that experimented with them ended up in the hospital, one ended in a coma.

I've done Triple C's over 50 times in the last year, took up 20 at once and mixed it with heroin on occasion. No damage, just some slight pain in my eye sockets while coming down. Though I don't doubt the risks involved with these, chlorpheniramine maleate is just poison to your body. And speaking of MucinexDM... STAY AWAY.. 4/6 people i know personally that experimented with them ended up in the hospital, one ended in a coma.

I took 23 mucinex dm with 20 mg DXM and 400 mg guafenesin, its a whole lot safer than coricidin.

I doubt that name-calling leads to productive conversation.

The eye damage I experience is most definitely not HPPD. It's not an hallucination.

What I have is not a continuation of any hallucinatory effect. It's a continuation of a toxic effect. This is not like "visual snow" or static. It's a spray of very bright dots that is set off by looking at relatively bright objects. It's like a bunch of retinal cells overreacting to light, ready to burn out completely. It did not happen before the Coricidin.

READ what im telling you. I have this exact same symptom, and its ONLY because of HPPD. The damage is most likely at the nuerological level and not something wrong with your eyes.

I get the same "spray" of multicolored dots after looking at bright objects which also leave a negative afterimage for me. A better description to me is its like fireworks going off.

I haven't examined any formal medical literature, but I'll give you my thoughts after doing some online research and hearing various testimonials:

I haven't seen one person claiming chlorpheniramine to be extremely dangerous provide irrefutable evidence for their words. It's true that anticholinergics are bad for your brain and eyes, but occasional doses won't hurt you. Alcohol is highly toxic to the liver and can cause cancer, but I know many people who have been drinking for years with no health problems. The fact that moderation is the key can never be sufficiently stressed.

Some patients take the maximum daily dose, 32 milligrams, without a problem.
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/chlorpheniramine.html
This means that eight tablets are safe to take.

The LD50 is 306mg/kg
http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01114
So, if this site is correct, and it probably is, I need a whopping 19890mg (being 145 pounds) to kill myself. My understanding from reading trip reports is that heart failure will kill me first at a dose of around 256mg. But I've only ever taken eight pills.

I've read about people who had really bad trips or had to go to the hospital at doses of less than 20 pills. Usually, these people did not start with a lower dose and work their way up so that they could determine what dose of cpm is dangerous for them. Start with four. If you notice no significant side-effects, wait a few days and try eight. If still nothing goes wrong, wait two weeks and try 12. If that's ok, wait another whole month before upping the dose again. If you're going to take triple CCC's, the trips have to be well-spaced out. Cpm has a long half-life and takes several days to be fully excreted. I can't find solid evidence that taking a reasonably low dose once in a while is dangerous. I talked to one dude, also 145 pounds, who took 64 pills within 48 hours without a problem.

But, being paranoid, I don't think I could exceed 12 tablets. Coricidin is tempting because it incurs very little nausea, whereas I can only tolerate small amounts of cough syrup/gels without vomiting. Chlorpheniramine made me hallucinate after the dxm had warn off. I saw what looked like the pokémon haunter floating in the upper corners of my room, and a medieval torture rack at the foot of my bed. But, since anticholinergic hallucinations are photophobic, I stopped seeing shit after I turned on a lamp.

Chlorpheniramine is not that bad, you just have to use it rarely, and most people have to keep the dose low.

I haven't seen one person claiming chlorpheniramine to be extremely dangerous provide irrefutable evidence for their words.

I *know* Coricidin has fucked my eyes up to some degree, but I can't *show* anyone, can't make people understand what the real problem is, since I don't know myself. All I know is I experienced a dramatic change in my vision after eating only 14 little red pills. Should I have eased my way up into a full dose over a period of several weeks? Perhaps. But who does that, when their friend says, "wanna trip tonight?" And you say, "how much should I take?" And you know your tolerance for LSD and mushies is high :!

Yes, I should have done my research first, should have known better.

I can't find solid evidence that taking a reasonably low dose once in a while is dangerous. I talked to one dude, also 145 pounds, who took 64 pills within 48 hours without a problem.

Okay, read this report:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=252503

The guy's brother died. He had taken time-release morphine 24 hours prior to his death, which likely caused an enzyme shortage. Taking coricidin day after day might have a similar effect, eh?

Chlorpheniramine is not that bad, you just have to use it rarely, and most people have to keep the dose low.

I'm so sick of DXM in general. I've had many good trips, seen many cool things, but I'm done with it.

San Pedro cactus is available all over the 'net. It costs more than DXM to get you high, but can be obtained in powder form and is probably much better for you :|

I *know* Coricidin has fucked my eyes up to some degree, but I can't *show* anyone, can't make people understand what the real problem is, since I don't know myself. All I know is I experienced a dramatic change in my vision after eating only 14 little red pills.

Your eyes may have been bad in the first place. You should see an opthomologist, man. You may have a predisposition to develop cataracts, which can cause you to see floaters, halos, and haze. :(

Okay, read this report:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=252503

The guy's brother died. He had taken time-release morphine 24 hours prior to his death, which likely caused an enzyme shortage. Taking coricidin day after day might have a similar effect, eh?

Yes, because it builds up in your system. Both these guys had obviously done some damage to their systems since they were both addicted to the drug. And then, with the morphine taken prior, they were asking for trouble. It's very sad, but if they had taken the same dose of coricidin without tolerance and without having used it in a long time, it probably would have been a good trip.

San Pedro cactus is available all over the 'net. It costs more than DXM to get you high, but can be obtained in powder form and is probably much better for you :|

Yeah, I would love to try some. But, right now, I really want to experiment with more cocaine and ketamine. I'm hopefully gonna snort em together at a party sometime soon while smokin a fatass blunt. :)

Your eyes may have been bad in the first place. You should see an opthomologist, man. You may have a predisposition to develop cataracts, which can cause you to see floaters, halos, and haze. :(

These aren't floaters... The spray of dots, as I have mentioned previously, are like a cluster of rods and cones that have been brought very close to dying completely. I see them when I look at a bright-ish light source, such as the sky. They exceed the brightness of whatever I happen to be looking at, and strongly resemble the dots I saw on that Coricidin trip.

Yeah, I probably should see an eye doctor, but they haven't gotten worse. For some reason, mild hypertension seems to exacerbate the problem. Exercise and pseudoephedrine are triggers.

Yes, because it builds up in your system. Both these guys had obviously done some damage to their systems since they were both addicted to the drug. And then, with the morphine taken prior, they were asking for trouble. It's very sad, but if they had taken the same dose of coricidin without tolerance and without having used it in a long time, it probably would have been a good trip.

Probably, but I still think there are better, safer drugs to trip on out there.

Yeah, I would love to try some. But, right now, I really want to experiment with more cocaine and ketamine. I'm hopefully gonna snort em together at a party sometime soon while smokin a fatass blunt. :)

I've had San Pedro before, and the stuff is great. It's like a psychedelic stimulant, at least once the preliminary effects abate :)

I hope you have fun at your party. Write up a report if it's interesting, why don't you?