• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[COMMON QUESTION]Is it possible to get lung cancer from weed?

Some fields (medicine/bio is one of them, Geology is another, particle physics is another.) tend to have a lot of caveats, confounding factors and limits on conclusions and/or exceptions to general trends, so I think it's important to note them.

Some fields (medicine/bio is one of them, Geology is another, particle physics is another.) tend to have a lot of caveats, confounding factors and limits on conclusions and/or exceptions to general trends, so I think it's important to note them.

All fields have those though.

Next time please do a search before asking a question that has already been asked a million times.

Yes it has, and its time that question make it to the Cannabis Discussion Database.

And since this thread is already filled with some fresh debates and some good links to start I will make this the official "Can weed cause lung cancer?" thread.

weed does have minor carcinogens but THC in itself prohibits the growth of cancer cells so basically it cancels the prior out and then some which is one of the many reasons people use it when they are going through cancer treatment.

id say the majority of complications that have occurred probbaly occured because of people smoking lower grade marijuana. nowadays if you live in california, colorado, etc you can usually find clean weed without any spider mites or anything like that.
Like most people have said, it is dificiult to establish a diference in studies between weed + tobacco smoking, especially because people smoke blunts.
I have been a blunt man since i started smoking about 7 years ago, and it has noticeably taken a toll on my lungs.
I'm a runner, and the smoking has cause Exercise induced bronchospasms (essentially exercise induced asthma).
As far as cancer goes, I personally believe marijuana has positive effects. The very few carcinogens it has are overcome by the benefits from cannabis use. I am someone who believes that quality of life is vital to living a happy life, and cannabis tends to increase one's sense of well-being, especially someone who already has cancer.
Still, I think the overall fact of smoking plant matter can never be good for the lungs, it will cause the alveolar cells to become more and more coated with mucus and will not allow for as much gas (oxygen) transfer as usual.
People may say that smoking doesnt affect their breathing, but even if it doesnt effect their vital lung capacity, it will affect their ability to exchange gases into the body thru the alveolar cells.
I hate knowing this because i am an exercise physiology major and a weed smoker. I know what i'm doing to my lungs is bad, but at least im not a cigarette smoker.

I'm not sure if weed can cause cancer, I'd guess it probably increases your chances say from 1 in several thousand to like 5 in several thousand or something, I'm pretty sure it has to because there are some carcinogens in the plant. but that's probably total bullshit, just a gut feeling.

I can verify that my lungs have had some complications, you see I've smoked only weed and a lot of it for years and I do have a chronic cough and occasionally hock up a lil black shit. Very gross I know, the black shit doesn't happen that often, but still.

Some studies suggest an anticarinogenic action to weed but I would suggest that smoking may well cause damage beyond any medical application; no one knows for sure but it seems very possible