View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Common hallucinogens questions

George1012

Bluelighter
I have a few questions about common hallucinogens, like LSD, mushrooms and weed. Some people probably don't consider cannabis a hallucinogen. I'm not sure if it is or isn't but I've included it on here because that's the closest to hallucinogenic I've experienced. I've also done a few things that are similar to hallucinogens but they aren't. I've gotten high on nutmeg and I've huffed gas fumes and air dusters. I haven't taken any nutmeg or huffed, or anything dirty or gross like that in years though. I just smoke now and drink.

For people who have taken any major hallucinogens, what is it like? Can you still have a full blown high from weed and other things or does it ruin it forever? I imagine doing something so intense and powerful and then going back to smaller things like weed or alcohol you probably would have to use a lot more to get you up where you want to be.

Are LSD or mushrooms scary? I remember my first few times experiencing weed it was scary af because it was so intense and I wasn't used to it. So is it the same way with the stronger hallucinogens or is it a completely different experience?

I'm not thinking of trying LSD or mushrooms because I'm not ready and I know I'm not. I'm just curious. I don't think I'll ever be ready to try anything stronger then weed.

Weed is plenty strong, even stronger visually in may ways than lsd and mushrooms in my opinion, although it is different because
a) it can be used incrementally and every day (at which point you are a pothead)
b) it is somnolent, in that it makes you sleepy, squity eyed, in a way that lsd and shrooms do not.
c) it is dulling when used repeatedly while tryptamines and lysergamides are are a bit more stimulating.

personally after a short break (2-3 days) I way prefer a half or quarter tab of acid than a joint.

while cannabis will have you drowsily considering strange concepts those same concepts can come to you in a less drowsy context with other hallucinogens and that could be a shock. IMO it is the main difference. less drowsy, but just as goofy. though I do yawn a fair bit during the come up on acid etc.

"Classical" psychedelics (shrooms, LSD, mescaline...) aren't really comparable to weed (they act on completely different receptors, after all), but I wouldn't say they're necessarily "harder" drugs.
Sure, unlike weed, a psychedelic typically isn't something you would take to "relax" after a hard day's work, but the intensity of a trip is still very much dependent on the dose and the person - someone might be able to easily handle 100 micrograms of LSD, yet still be completely floored by a hit of butane honey oil from a dab rig.

As for psychedelics being "scary", well, the psychedelic experience is greatly influenced by "set and setting", i.e. the user's mindset and their environment. Take acid when you're in a bad mood or with people you're not really comfortable around, and the trip is probably going to be pretty disturbing. Take it when you're mentally prepared and in an ideal setting, and you may experience transcendent bliss and mind-blowing epiphanies. Or not. In the end, there is always an element of unpredictability with psychedelics.

Weed is SORT of like a psychedelic, but not really. As far as alcohol, whether you do psychedelics or not, alcohol is the same. Entirely different drug. As for weed, yeah weed can still get you really high. The biggest factor in whether weed gets you high is how often you use weed.

Real psychedelics are vastly different from weed, and not even in the same ballpark at all as alcohol. Honestly I get more anxious from weed sometimes than I typically do from psychedelics. However psychedelics are a much more drastic perceptual change so the potential for it go badly is higher, or the potential for you to react badly to it going badly.

I have a few questions about common hallucinogens, like LSD, mushrooms and weed. Some people probably don't consider cannabis a hallucinogen. I'm not sure if it is or isn't but I've included it on here because that's the closest to hallucinogenic I've experienced. I've also done a few things that are similar to hallucinogens but they aren't. I've gotten high on nutmeg and I've huffed gas fumes and air dusters. I haven't taken any nutmeg or huffed, or anything dirty or gross like that in years though. I just smoke now and drink.

For people who have taken any major hallucinogens, what is it like? Can you still have a full blown high from weed and other things or does it ruin it forever? I imagine doing something so intense and powerful and then going back to smaller things like weed or alcohol you probably would have to use a lot more to get you up where you want to be.

Are LSD or mushrooms scary? I remember my first few times experiencing weed it was scary af because it was so intense and I wasn't used to it. So is it the same way with the stronger hallucinogens or is it a completely different experience?

I'm not thinking of trying LSD or mushrooms because I'm not ready and I know I'm not. I'm just curious. I don't think I'll ever be ready to try anything stronger then weed.

LSD, weed and Mushrooms are all different. Pot can occasionally cause mild brief hallucinations but has other properties and creates other sensations that are stronger and more frequent than hallucinations. LSD varies greatly depending on the acid. Good acid can cause a temporary total break from reality and has a speedy edge to it that really intensifies it's effects. Mushrooms, like weed and and LSD varies greatly too depending on the shrooms and how much you take. Mushrooms can also cause you to have a prolonged break from reality but have a narcotic edge. It's easy to relax on Shrooms and you can even get sleepy. I've gotten some very pleasant and dream like visuals from mushrooms. Acid is a little more intense, it lasts longer and changes your thought pattern along with the visuals. I've also found on LSD that you want to walk for long periods of time. ( i think others have the same urge, hence the word trip ). With Mushrooms and weed I like to sit and relax.

My experiences with mushrooms and LSD didn't effect my desire to smoke pot at all. It's a different high. I would say it probably wont make any difference in your marijuana use.

All 3 can be scary to a new user. I'd say just try to put yourself in a pleasant environment and use LSD or mushrooms when life is going well. Your situation can definitely cause good or bad trips. Pot on the other hand can be used when ever you want, it has a dumbing down effect like alcohol that can be soothing when life is tough.

If you don't think you should use certain drugs, then don't. If you think it will be terrifying then it will be. It's not a contest, you don't need to be the ultimate drug taker who has tried everything. At a certain point in time I wanted to try everything. Some drugs can destroy your life, others can enhance it. when you try to do everything you run a greater chance of finding one that will ruin your life. Putting limits on yourself is good. You know yourself better than anyone else. If something seems like you wouldn't enjoy it or would damage you in someway stay away from it. You have nothing to prove. Anyway new drugs like Salvia, Kratom or ecstasy always come out and older drugs like quaaludes or darvocet disappear. You'll never be the guy or gal that tried them all. Have fun, if it feels right try it. If it doesn't don't.

Psychedelic experiences are notoriously hard to describe to someone who hasn't had one. The visuals tend not to be the most intense or interesting part of the experience for most people. The 'mindfuck' can get rather intense, much more so than the mental/psychological effects of any other class of drug I've tried. The best advice I can give if you want to get some sense of what the experience is like is to read some trip reports - Erowid is a good resource for this, as well as the Trip Reports board here on BL.

Psychedelics can indeed be scary. In my experience, the pre-trip anxiety (psyching yourself up about the potential for a scary/intense experience) tends to be more unnerving than the trip itself, but that's not always the case.

Psychedelic use definitely didn't "ruin" weed for me. I'm not really sure if it affected my tolerance long-term, because I started using psychedelics pretty shortly after I started smoking weed, but I didn't notice anything like that and I haven't heard others who tried psychedelics later in life report that being an issue. I still get absolutely wrecked by a hit or two of good stuff if I take a tolerance break.

Hay thanks for your replies everyone! Fascinating stuff indeed. Based off the few 'deliriums' I've tried, weed and nutmeg, and I guess huffing fumes, the 'fume' high is much different then weed by the way. Its kind of like getting drunk but with a greater mind fuck and no nausea or hangover. Weed and nutmeg feel exactly the same, only weed is stronger. I've taken nutmeg a good twenty times and only like twelve out of twenty it actually worked and it didn't get me as high as a few hits of weed. Only one of my 'nutmeg trips' was as strong as a weed trip but that was when I took like six tablespoons. Apparently nutmeg compounds don't work on the same receptors as THC but they somehow feel exactly the same, only of course nutmeg is weaker. Its funny how just a pinch of weed, smoked will get me a lot higher then eating 3-4 heaping tablespoons of nutmeg. Does anyone know what receptors the compounds in nutmeg work?

My experiences with cannabis are change drastically all the time, depending on how much I smoke. If I've had a consecutive buildup of days smoked in a row it usually just makes me tired and a little baked but if I take a few days off then smoke its way different.

I cannot smoke weed anymore due to the anxiety it causes me. I truly believe it to be from taking psychedelics too often. Not that this is bad or anything but I just much prefer true psychs now than weed.

Edible weed is fully psychedelic to me. It's very visual and headspace is incredible. The only downside is to experience this dose must be high (it makes me really cold and shivery), and I can't do it too often, otherwise the only effect I get is being stoned, but not in a psychedelic way.

Hay thanks for your replies everyone! Fascinating stuff indeed. Based off the few 'deliriums' I've tried, weed and nutmeg, and I guess huffing fumes, the 'fume' high is much different then weed by the way. Its kind of like getting drunk but with a greater mind fuck and no nausea or hangover. Weed and nutmeg feel exactly the same, only weed is stronger. I've taken nutmeg a good twenty times and only like twelve out of twenty it actually worked and it didn't get me as high as a few hits of weed. Only one of my 'nutmeg trips' was as strong as a weed trip but that was when I took like six tablespoons. Apparently nutmeg compounds don't work on the same receptors as THC but they somehow feel exactly the same, only of course nutmeg is weaker. Its funny how just a pinch of weed, smoked will get me a lot higher then eating 3-4 heaping tablespoons of nutmeg. Does anyone know what receptors the compounds in nutmeg work?

Nutmeg is grown for its taste. Weed is grown to get you high, and today's strains were selectively bred over decades to have insanely high cannabinoid contents. If you were to vape concentrated Myristicin/Elemicin (the psychoactive volatiles in nutmeg), you could also get high off of a relatively small amount (and possibly suffocate and die from a severely irritated lung). Even shrooms are only about .5 to 1% Psilocybin when dried, meaning people usually have to eat 3 grams to get the 20+ miligrams of Psilocybin necessary for a decent shroom trip.

Re: Receptors, Myristicin and Elemicin are believed to be anticholinergics. They block your acetylcholine receptors, fucking around with your nervous system on such a basic level as to induce full-blown delirium (and a host of unpleasant/dangerous physiological symptoms).

Compared to that, classical psychedelics are fairly "clean" drugs. They primarily work their magic by activating a specific type of serotonin receptor (5HT2A), which seems to promote signaling between different areas of the brain, and affect the way we detect "novelty". So, a large part of the psychedelic experience is not just visual hallucinations (technically just "pseudohallucinations" - you are still mostly aware that they are just hallucinations, unlike with a full-blown case of delirium), but also changes in how "new" and "significant" concepts seem to you.

However, even among the serotonergic psychedelics there are still differences in terms of the relative intensity of visuals, "headspace" and body load, as well as major differences in potency and duration. LSD and shrooms, for example, are generally known for having a relatively intense headspace (lots of giggliness, confusion, and abstract thinking) in comparison to their visuals. 2C-T-2 and 2C-T-7 produce stunning visuals while leaving you relatively clear-headed, albeit with intense nausea. 2C-B and AL-LAD are appreciated for producing nice visuals with a relatively mild body load and easy headspace - too easy for some. A DOx is generally going to feel much more stimulating than a 4-substituted tryptamine, and last around 4 times as long.
And in terms of dosage, LSD (with a standard dose being approx. 100 µg) is a whopping 3000 times as potent as Mescaline (with a standard dose being around 300 mg).

Last edited:
like many have said before they are almost incomparable in experience. I have tried a lot of drugs and to me weed is still my absolute favorite and why I credit my discontinuation of harder drugs. I personally don't feel like I could take psychs everyday let alone once a week, but cannabis I can use daily and always enjoy my high. So for me cannabis is the daily and psychs are when I have a long period of time off to just relax and recoup. Psychs can be overwhelming, but if you can assure yourself you're fine and have a trip sitter I would definitely recommend it, but honestly in my opinion they aren't as recreational as cannabis, but I know there are tons of others who would disagree.

I get bad anxiety sometimes too when I smoke weed. I kind of like the anxiety in a way, strangely enough. Its a good part of the high, unless its overwhelming from a situational cause, like getting caught. Usually though if my anxiety gets too bad for no reason I can just alleviate it with some kava kava or kratom.

euphoria and anxiety seem very close - also shaking from joy can be confused with shaking from fear.

Ya happens to me sometimes on weed especially if I skip a few days or a week. I start shivering and I can't tell if its because I'm nervous or excited. Honestly sometimes can't even tell.