• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Coming Out/Back from the wreckage....

Great story..It's spine shivering to hear how the "system" sets you up for failure but you turned it into a positive...huge inspiration...

Medicaid cover inpatient program generally have serious waiting lists and very poor quality of care. The whole public (and private, for that matter) in patient treatment situation just sucks balls all around.

Oh yeah, it's FAR from optimal. But if the OP really wants inpatient treatment, armed with medicaid and hopefully a counselor or someone who can help find a reasonable situation for her, at least she has an option that isn't nothing.

True, there are gems out there, it's just that IME they are very few and far between. Particularly when it comes to programs that take public insurance. Come to think of it though, the best mental health (their substance use disorder program was however a joke, unless you really enjoy your twelve step stuff) treatment I've ever received was through a place that took both my private and public insurance, and I didn't have to pay a cent. So there's definitely there, just not in the majority.

And true, if one needs treatment desperately places that take public insurance are definitely out there. The majority of those I've personally experienced (so 3/4) provided care that did me more harm than good.

True, there are gems out there, it's just that IME they are very few and far between. Particularly when it comes to programs that take public insurance. Come to think of it though, the best mental health (their substance use disorder program was however a joke, unless you really enjoy your twelve step stuff) treatment I've ever received was through a place that took both my private and public insurance, and I didn't have to pay a cent. So there's definitely there, just not in the majority.

And true, if one needs treatment desperately places that take public insurance are definitely out there. The majority of those I've personally experienced (so 3/4) provided care that did me more harm than good.

Alas, the quality of most inpatient rehabs does suck. And the paucity of places that take public insurance probably makes the odds of a good experience even lower. BUT, I do know several people who went into rehab on medicaid and did very well with the experience. It's probably not the norm. But it is possible.