• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Coming off off Suboxone.

martinbr

Greenlighter
Hello, haven't been here for awhile. I just starting coming off Buprenorphine yesterday and starting to feel the effects. Have been the program a long time, but had a relapse on prescription pain killers a few years ago due to a neck injury. I thought I could handle it. Yeah, right! Well I got addicted to vicodin and then went to a clinic and starting on Suboxone for approx two years. Then had to switch over to Buprenorphine due to cost. Same stuff, just a different form. Now they want me off due to my heart condition. Heart is running slow on the Bups. And it's a good thing, because I have been wanting to get off for a long time. Your really not sober living like this. Even if it's at a prescribed level. At least for me anyway. I just didn't feel good on them. Tired all the time, spaced out. And I slept all the time! So I don't know if anyone else is going thru this, so i decided to just put it out there. All positive comments are welcomed.
martinbr

That's great that you've got such a good mindset about this! I'm assuming your tapering? I do not know much about Suboxone or Buprenorphine, so I cannot offer advice or wisdom in those regards.
I do agree that it is imperative to make sure your heart is running at its best, and you sound ready to take this on, so kudos for that :)

That's great that you've got such a good mindset about this! I'm assuming your tapering? I do not know much about Suboxone or Buprenorphine, so I cannot offer advice or wisdom in those regards.
I do agree that it is imperative to make sure your heart is running at its best, and you sound ready to take this on, so kudos for that :)

Thanks, I was on 24mg. Then I started taking 8mg the last past week. And then stopped. I probably should have went down even further and that's why I really don't feel very good at the moment. But I have been here before. My heart rate is already going back to normal readings, so that's positive. Just have to tough it out a few weeks. I have a sponsor in NA, so I am going to start to go back to meetings. One thing I did when I was on Suboxone is that I always kept up my AA meetings. But never really felt sober, so that's the one of the reason I wanted to get of the merry go round.....martinbr

Your gonna have a rough ride jumping from such a high dose. I jumped from 2mg and was acutely sick for well over a month. I would expect your gonna be feeling shitty for a good little while. I hope they gave you some comfort meds? Benzos, gabapentin, clonidine, there are a number that will be crucial to you not relapsing.

Your gonna have a rough ride jumping from such a high dose. I jumped from 2mg and was acutely sick for well over a month. I would expect your gonna be feeling shitty for a good little while. I hope they gave you some comfort meds? Benzos, gabapentin, clonidine, there are a number that will be crucial to you not relapsing.

As always, cj is on the money ;)

I wanted to add that due to subs half life your not going to be fully in withdrawal until day 4 or 5 so don't get a false sense of security from the way you feel on day 3. If your doctor didn't write you comfort meds you need to call his office and have some called in. Otherwise unless you are extremely resilient to withdrawals and cravings I don't see you making it off without getting back on sub or relapsing. I am not trying to discourage you just tell you the truth while you still have time to take action.

You can do it! I went CT from anywhere from 4-10 mg a day for 3 yrs over a month ago. It sucked for a few days...4-6 were the worst but really it just felt like a bad flu. Immodium was my friend for the first couple of weeks but then I tapered off that. I feel like a brand new person now. Some days are better than others but it helps to remind myself what I have accomplished!

I don't doubt anyone else's experience. I just want you to know that not everyone has crippling wds. They weren't fun by any means, but the end result is worth it. I would have quit sooner but I was terrified of going thru excruciating months long wds. Just remember that your life will be so much better and hopefully the physical and mental strain won't last long! Good luck!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I need that more than discouragement at this time. I know I will feel like crap. It's not the first time I have been thru this.
thanks,
martinbr