Mental Health Coming off Invega Sustenna (paliperidone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
my last shot was oct 25th.... i stopped smoking weed (although i really want too) and im seeing improvements... most of the feelings of anhedonia are gone and i am able to get some pleasure out of doing things....their are still times when im incredibly bored.. my sex drive is still messed up and im hoping that will change.. from what i understand it can take between 4-6 months for invega to get out of my system so im about 1/3 of the way there :) .... does anyone know is their anything out their that counteracts what the invega did? is their anyway to activate my dopamine and serotonin receptors?

Last edited:
If you want more responses I would suggest editing your post and including paragraphs

I agree Ho Chi Minh thats quite a chunk to read , to break it down , I was on Invega 100 mg shots for 8 months , actually about a month of liquid risperdal then a month of risperdal shots and since I was complaining they switched me to Invega for the remainder of time I had to take them , so I had 8 months of Invega shots and I have been off the 100 mg shots for 7 or 8 months now depending how you look at it , 8 months since the last shot and I hardly feel any improvement , my bench mark is my sex drive , which is non existent or very feeble , I can masturbate about once a month or so then I have to recharge , I notice the most any one has posted has been about a year after their shots and they say they have recovered a bit but I am unclear about the details , I have the exact same symptoms as Narshe along with a non existent sex drive and no production of sperm I have also gained 35 kilos since my first shot a little more than a year ago , it has been the worst form of torture ever as I didnt need the medicine in the first place and it blocked my dopamine and serotonin and who knows what else . Why dont people come back after 2 years or so to say that theyve fully recovered ? I will if I do , but so far 7 months and no improvement

my last shot was oct 25th.... i stopped smoking weed (although i really want too) and im seeing improvements... most of the feelings of anhedonia are gone and i am able to get some pleasure out of doing things....their are still times when im incredibly bored.. my sex drive is still messed up and im hoping that will change.. from what i understand it can take between 4-6 months for invega to get out of my system so im about 1/3 of the way there :) .... does anyone know is their anything out their that counteracts what the invega did? is their anyway to activate my dopamine and serotonin receptors?

Hi Symbolicone , I think not smoking weed is a good idea , I wanted to ask you , how many shots did you get ? What dose was it ? Please answer these questions and we can monitor and discuss each others progress , I will give speedy replies , I am also looking for ways to counteract what the Invega did but I want to make sure it is out of my system , Narshe had said it takes about 300 days so thats 10 months , I m at 7 months right now when you say October 25 th , does that mean a little over 2 months ago ? October 25 th 2014 I suppose

Thanks , definitely be in touch , we can help each other , at least by talking about what we re going through , I really hope you get well as do I

Hi Symbolicone , I think not smoking weed is a good idea , I wanted to ask you , how many shots did you get ? What dose was it ? Please answer these questions and we can monitor and discuss each others progress , I will give speedy replies , I am also looking for ways to counteract what the Invega did but I want to make sure it is out of my system , Narshe had said it takes about 300 days so thats 10 months , I m at 7 months right now when you say October 25 th , does that mean a little over 2 months ago ? October 25 th 2014 I suppose

Thanks , definitely be in touch , we can help each other , at least by talking about what we re going through , I really hope you get well as do I
i got 3 shots of the invega117mg, in all honestly i think it was the weed that got me pass the bad times because i also felt like Narshe at one time.... now its like im still emotionally numb in some regards but their are moments when i have sparks of feeling like my old self... i would say right now i definitely don't feel 'normal'
but i feel good enough to have some joy and not feel completely bored with everything... imo i feel like smoking weed would definitely help me regain my joy as beer and cigarettes still don't work... do they "work" for you? sorry if my post doesn't make sense im using my phone.

Symbolicone: Yes, weed will probably excite your serotonin levels, but when it wears off in about 2 hrs, your brain will be even more deficient of it than before you smoked. (Withdrawal, and that will take about a week to recover from that depending on if you just smoke once). imo, weed will help in the very short term to increase serotonin levels, but will prolong (even make worse) the withdrawals in the long term. I know it sucks to be depressed, but try to focus on "why" you're depressed. It may not be the invega withdrawals only. You may be lonely, or have stress, or be bored. You have to think of ways to fix those things. For example: Ask yourself, "Why did I start smoking weed in the first place?" Were you bored, stressed...w/e? Then try to focus on ways you can help alleviate those issues and/or heal them. When I get depressed I like to make a plan on small attainable accomplishments: first, take a hot shower, wash clothes, cook something, draw a picture or write a poem, then just do something entertaining like watch a movie. Forcing myself to do chores or clean my surroundings and/or myself makes me feel more successful (and better).

Symbolicone: Yes, weed will probably excite your serotonin levels, but when it wears off in about 2 hrs, your brain will be even more deficient of it than before you smoked. (Withdrawal, and that will take about a week to recover from that depending on if you just smoke once). imo, weed will help in the very short term to increase serotonin levels, but will prolong (even make worse) the withdrawals in the long term. I know it sucks to be depressed, but try to focus on "why" you're depressed. It may not be the invega withdrawals only. You may be lonely, or have stress, or be bored. You have to think of ways to fix those things. For example: Ask yourself, "Why did I start smoking weed in the first place?" Were you bored, stressed...w/e? Then try to focus on ways you can help alleviate those issues and/or heal them. When I get depressed I like to make a plan on small attainable accomplishments: first, take a hot shower, wash clothes, cook something, draw a picture or write a poem, then just do something entertaining like watch a movie. Forcing myself to do chores or clean my surroundings and/or myself makes me feel more successful (and better).
Hey Nopain thanks for the response to clarify i wouldn't say im depressed or feel down on myself.. its more like i feel unable to express my emotions like i did before i started taking the invega sustenna.. it is harder for me to do things i once enjoyed like making music for instance or watching tvshows/anime and its like i got a different outlook on life; like its almost like im half way stuck in a dream and cant fully awake myself. imo weed allows me to do the things i once enjoyed passionately and without this feeling of despair. now with that being said i haven't smoked weed for a month and i can feel this invega slowly leaving my system but i have concerns on if im ever going to be back to 100% normal.. as it stands now my sex drive is broken and im unable to "discharge" i can no longer feel the effects of drinking alcohol or feel the effects of smoking cigarettes(currently i use an Vuse E-Cig) and i just feel disconnected from society and the way of life. i am 27 years old and while i believe i should be concerned with getting a better job, finding a girlfriend and expanding my current relationships im completely numb to that idea because of the medication i believe... if their was a way to just Turn back "on" what was shut off from the invega then i think i would be alright but i have no idea on how to do that. i believe the first step was to just stop taking that soul snatching medication and pray that what was lost will return to me. I wish Narshe or someone would update us with their current condition tho as it seems like he was having a harder time dealing with this then i was.
in the meantime ill be googling ways to resolve my issues

I found this , somebody please answer or give their view

http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/InvegaPharmacokinetics

Hey Bobfcc, I read your link about the invega formula for plasma clearance. I think it's perfectly accurate and credible to take from. As I stated before, I tried to cold turkey 3 mg/night dosage, which I started not taking on thursday night. Friday came and went as usual with good sleep. Saturday night I only got 2.5 hrs of sleep. Sunday night only got 2.5 hrs of sleep and started feeling really wired. Monday I was fixing some plumbing the whole day (wanting to do something active). Monday night I was thinking I'd sleep good, but for the life of me, COULD NOT FALL ASLEEP. It was really frustrating and miserable. Tuesday came by and I went to work. That night I couldn't fall asleep. This is when I started getting worried b/c I had NEVER stayed up for this long being wired. Wednesday I had to take off work b/c I couldn't perform my duties like I should with all my distress. Wednesday night rolled around and I still could not sleep. I still felt like I could run a mile, but my brain, my thinking, was just running on fumes but working on fumes on overdrive. It was like my brain was just about to crack and every second seemed to get worse and worse (longer and longer); like I was fixing to go mad. I would actually lay down and try to relax myself and my brain would just about to fall asleep, but would be shocked awake again and again and again and again. I got REAL scared like I was fixing to die a slow agonizing hellish torturous death. I started taking my pill again around 11:00 am to see if I could get back from these withdrawals b/c I knew I wasn't going to be able to beat them before I lost my sanity. I still didn't feel the effects of getting back on invega when 11:00 pm rolled around, and I decided to go to the emergency room. They gave me 10 mg Vallium, and an hour later I got some MUCH needed sleep. I took off work the next day, Thursday, just to make sure I didn't have any drawbacks. I see my pdoc next week and will explain what this invega actually does, and see if I can ween off of it to, at least, 1.5 mg/night. I just feel like this stuff can really damage the structure of your brain, and hopefully, by weening off make it return to normal functionality. I'll go into detail about my experience with this plan, and hopefully, give y'all some better insight and hope on what to expect from weening off.

But to get to my first point: I cold turkied from Thursday to Tuesday (5 day plasma clearance time). Tuesday/Wednesday was when I started feeling the biggest impact of withdrawals (insomnia), which adds up to what's in that link about plasma clearance of 5 days for the pill form.

Hey Nopain thanks for the response to clarify i wouldn't say im depressed or feel down on myself.. its more like i feel unable to express my emotions like i did before i started taking the invega sustenna.. it is harder for me to do things i once enjoyed like making music for instance or watching tvshows/anime and its like i got a different outlook on life; like its almost like im half way stuck in a dream and cant fully awake myself. imo weed allows me to do the things i once enjoyed passionately and without this feeling of despair. now with that being said i haven't smoked weed for a month and i can feel this invega slowly leaving my system but i have concerns on if im ever going to be back to 100% normal.. as it stands now my sex drive is broken and im unable to "discharge" i can no longer feel the effects of drinking alcohol or feel the effects of smoking cigarettes(currently i use an Vuse E-Cig) and i just feel disconnected from society and the way of life. i am 27 years old and while i believe i should be concerned with getting a better job, finding a girlfriend and expanding my current relationships im completely numb to that idea because of the medication i believe... if their was a way to just Turn back "on" what was shut off from the invega then i think i would be alright but i have no idea on how to do that. i believe the first step was to just stop taking that soul snatching medication and pray that what was lost will return to me. I wish Narshe or someone would update us with their current condition tho as it seems like he was having a harder time dealing with this then i was.
in the meantime ill be googling ways to resolve my issues

Well, I think I understand. It's like you're dead inside. Like you just can't feel emotions...? I don't feel like that really. Do you take any other meds/drugs? One reason why I suggest to not smoke weed is to have a control in this "experiment" of what is making you feel like that, and how to overcome it. If you could just take one prescription/drug at a time then you'd be able to rule out "this does what". I think if you start mixing them then the reactions to them get more complicated.

Here's a thought tho: You may be getting back to normal, but it's so slow that you don't really realize it. It's like if you've been off it for 2 years you could look back and see a big change from when you first quit it. I would suggest to first talk to you pdoc about what they recommend you do to be able to "ween" off invega. NOT cold turkey. I'm going to keep an up-to-date profile of my weening off plan so others can get a better opinion on how to handle their own situation. My first biggest questions right now are: When will the pdoc feel comfortable with weening me off? How often would I need to see them in weening off? And how long would I need to stay on 1.5 mg/night until I can just stop taking it altogether? I see them early next week, and will update y'all on the plan. Let me know what you find on google. :)

Well, I think I understand. It's like you're dead inside. Like you just can't feel emotions...? I don't feel like that really. Do you take any other meds/drugs? One reason why I suggest to not smoke weed is to have a control in this "experiment" of what is making you feel like that, and how to overcome it. If you could just take one prescription/drug at a time then you'd be able to rule out "this does what". I think if you start mixing them then the reactions to them get more complicated.

Here's a thought tho: You may be getting back to normal, but it's so slow that you don't really realize it. It's like if you've been off it for 2 years you could look back and see a big change from when you first quit it. I would suggest to first talk to you pdoc about what they recommend you do to be able to "ween" off invega. NOT cold turkey. I'm going to keep an up-to-date profile of my weening off plan so others can get a better opinion on how to handle their own situation. My first biggest questions right now are: When will the pdoc feel comfortable with weening me off? How often would I need to see them in weening off? And how long would I need to stay on 1.5 mg/night until I can just stop taking it altogether? I see them early next week, and will update y'all on the plan. Let me know what you find on google. :)
hey i spoke to my doctor and just straight up told him i wasn't taking the medicine anymore due to the side effects.. i am just sick with not being able to feel normal or euphoric??
ill be speaking with another doctor and my therapist about cabergoline which is suppose to help with the sexual problems.. while invega blocks dopamine and serotonin receptors it seems like cabergoline does the opposite and hopefully it or something else can resolve all my issues. as it stands today life just doesn't feel as "real" as it once did

Done 3 months in a psych ward, it was brutal
was forced 3 injections a week apart of zuclopixol before I could leave 19 weeks ago
just cold turkeyed, it gets better, I'm at 85% ish, got a half life of 6 weeks,
still got an eighth in me, wake up and smell the coffee, them psych meds are a chemical
straight jacket, get off the meds, smoke some weed, av a few beers

No, I have not. I was told that invega is used for the same diagnosis as risperodone, but doesn't have the bad zombie effect. It does make me have less energy being a little drowsy, but I didn't sleep that much before I started taking it anyway. I was also not eating as much. I looked pale and had my cheek bones showing before I started taking invega. Now my face has filled in, but in a good way. One of the main reasons I want to get off of it is because it costs $80/30 day supply...with insurance. I also don't feel like my paranoid thoughts have gone away. Just a little bit more relaxed and slow. I feel I could get off it as long as I feel secure in my work life.

Well as Paliperidone is just the active metabolite of Risperidone they will have the same effects so you are being bullshitted on that one i am sad to say. Both Risperidone and Paliperidone have the same antagonist effects on both Dopamine and Serotonin and like Risperdal Invega is a very potent D2 antagonist. Risperidone and Paliperidone are probably the 2 strongest Dopamine 2 receptor antagonists of the atypicals actually.

Done 3 months in a psych ward, it was brutal
was forced 3 injections a week apart of zuclopixol before I could leave 19 weeks ago
just cold turkeyed, it gets better, I'm at 85% ish, got a half life of 6 weeks,
still got an eighth in me, wake up and smell the coffee, them psych meds are a chemical
straight jacket, get off the meds, smoke some weed, av a few beers

Zuclopenthixol (Canadian trade name Clopixol) is supposed to be by far 1 of the more unpleasant typical anti-psychotics out there so no wonder you hated it. From what i have heard Clopixol makes Haldol look like a low dose of Zyprexa by comparison so please don't write off a whole class of meds because some psych ward decided to shoot you up to the gills with one of the most zombifying anti-psychotics out there. The long acting IM injection of Clopixol lasts for 2-3 weeks and is given to patients who either can't take pills or refuse to take them. It's all subjective as i have heard everything from Seroquel to Thorazine/Largactil called chemical straight jackets and so far i have not found this to be the case with any med really. Risperidone is the closest i have ever gotten to a zombie drug once i get to the 4mg mark or so

hey i spoke to my doctor and just straight up told him i wasn't taking the medicine anymore due to the side effects.. i am just sick with not being able to feel normal or euphoric??
ill be speaking with another doctor and my therapist about cabergoline which is suppose to help with the sexual problems.. while invega blocks dopamine and serotonin receptors it seems like cabergoline does the opposite and hopefully it or something else can resolve all my issues. as it stands today life just doesn't feel as "real" as it once did

Are you weening off of invega? Or trying to do it cold turkey? As I stated before, I tried to cold turkey off of 3 mg, and it gave me severe insomnia withdrawal that was impossible to beat over time. I would've gone mad if I didn't get back on it. Weening off is the only option for me.

But it seems like you're wanting to quit a mind-altering drug for another one... I don't think this is a good idea. You say you're wanting to boost your serotonin levels, but quitting a drug that blocks dopamine to one that produces dopamine will be like putting your brain in a washing machine. You have to think, if you'd want to get off the drug that boosts dopamine levels then your withdrawals will be not having enough dopamine causing depression. In the case of invega, it blocks dopamine, therefore, when you get off then your mind is overcharged with dopamine causing insomnia.

What meds are you currently taking? I'm only on invega 3mg, but I spoke with my pdoc today about weening off onto 1.5 mg. Pdoc approved weening off, and I'm going to start on that as soon as the prescription gets filled. I'll go back to see the pdoc in 3 months. But in the meantime, I'll keep a profile of my symptoms. It'll help y'all and me get a better idea of how to handle this drug. I'm guessing that I won't be as sleepy or hungry. I just hope I get enough/some sleep.

Well as Paliperidone is just the active metabolite of Risperidone they will have the same effects so you are being bullshitted on that one i am sad to say. Both Risperidone and Paliperidone have the same antagonist effects on both Dopamine and Serotonin and like Risperdal Invega is a very potent D2 antagonist. Risperidone and Paliperidone are probably the 2 strongest Dopamine 2 receptor antagonists of the atypicals actually.

Hi , you seem to know what youre talking about and I see you have posted a lot , well I am having the same effects as Narshe along with complete depletion of libido and extreme weight gain , I took my last shot of 100 mg in April , April 8th 2014 , it is Now December 2014 , what a year , before April I had been taking the shot for 8 months ,since September 2013 , actually September was oral liquid risperdone , then about two months of Risperdal shots , and then they transitioned me to Xeplion or Invega Sustenna , I am now suffering from obesity whereas I was in peak athletic form before this , thyroid problems , tachycardia , severe depression , anhedonia , and non existent libido , with very rare production of siemen in extremely small quantity . According to the info out there saying it takes 300 days for plasma clearance from system , which is ten months , I am up to 8 or 9 months now and still dont feel any better , maybe it has to clear out and then it will take my brain some time to readjust , do you know how long that will take ? A rough estimate would be good , I will keep you guys posted after two months and then after 4 months as to my progress , but Id like to speak about with you as much as possible , is it still 300 days if I took the shots for 8 months ? Is it stuck in my fat that I have put on ? does it get out of there slower ? You say that Invega and RIsperdone are potent dopamine and serotonin antagonists , once the medicine wears off will they start flowing normally or extra hard ? Or will they be flowing at all ? I would really appreciate any advice as I am at a critical juncture and would hate to lose it as I am in the midst of work , exams in a foreign country all with extreme depression and lethargia I can hardly take it and feel like ending it , but I have been strong so far so Id like to see how it pans out , please if anyone can answer any of the questions asked it woul be greatly appreciated

Are you weening off of invega? Or trying to do it cold turkey? As I stated before, I tried to cold turkey off of 3 mg, and it gave me severe insomnia withdrawal that was impossible to beat over time. I would've gone mad if I didn't get back on it. Weening off is the only option for me.

But it seems like you're wanting to quit a mind-altering drug for another one... I don't think this is a good idea. You say you're wanting to boost your serotonin levels, but quitting a drug that blocks dopamine to one that produces dopamine will be like putting your brain in a washing machine. You have to think, if you'd want to get off the drug that boosts dopamine levels then your withdrawals will be not having enough dopamine causing depression. In the case of invega, it blocks dopamine, therefore, when you get off then your mind is overcharged with dopamine causing insomnia.

What meds are you currently taking? I'm only on invega 3mg, but I spoke with my pdoc today about weening off onto 1.5 mg. Pdoc approved weening off, and I'm going to start on that as soon as the prescription gets filled. I'll go back to see the pdoc in 3 months. But in the meantime, I'll keep a profile of my symptoms. It'll help y'all and me get a better idea of how to handle this drug. I'm guessing that I won't be as sleepy or hungry. I just hope I get enough/some sleep.
im going cold turkey ... my third and final monthly shot was on October 25th. at this point im willing to try anything to just get back to normal and experience euphoria of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.