European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Collecting anecdotes of horrible medical care in the UK

MeDieViL

Bluelighter
Hi, i used to live in belguim and ive been absolutely shocked by the healthcare provided by the NHS, im gonna get angry ppl post here even my girlfriend brings it up, but if i bring every incident up to ppl from other countrys they are as shocked as me.

Im looking for a smuch evidence as possible to expose the NHS, so please if ypou ave been provided with horrible healthcare, been put in life threatening situations suc as not treating benzo or GBL withdrawal, neglect or anything else, please post your story.

Thank you

bropiate has tales of such a nature - they can be found in the psychoactive substances bill thread (i think). Or we can summon him, [MENTION=172215]bropiate[/MENTION].

I've mostly had outstanding care on the NHS my whole life, but there are issues with things like benzo or G w/d as you mention. This is government interference not NHS policy though. I never had such problems until the Tories started tinkering :\

In belguim i was hospitalised with a GBL induced seizure, they tied me to the bed and gave me a diazepam infusion, they only untied me after they were sure i wouldnt run away, in belguim its very simple, they treeat your addiction so you go back into society, in uk with gbl they send me back home telling me to talk more untll i can see a drugworker.

Ive been diagnosed with epilepsy which i get clonazepam for, in be they do a breainscan, i can feel brainzaps when i feel a seizure coming on, like what gbl can cause, in uk they do a stupid bloodtest and send you back out, i said its dangerous, doc was like no no if you have a life treatening seizure we can see it in your blood
1. a seizure doesnt have to be life treatening to be dangerous
2. i get partional seizures which you cant detect in the blood
3. you can only detect dangerous seizures during the seizure, so they send a patient back home which may die the net day.

Ive been kicked out during psychosis induced by desoxy twice after a few days they said i was allright, first time tolled my girlfriend i was ok, i ran off in town jumping in ppl cars untill they arrested me

second time i jumped in fron of rapid moving cars, got hit got hospitalised again and 2 days after security put me in front of a busstop while i was shouting i was still psychotic,

How is this posssile?

I've mostly had outstanding care on the NHS my whole life, but there are issues with things like benzo or G w/d as you mention. This is government interference not NHS policy though. I never had such problems until the Tories started tinkering :\
How do you know its outstanding if you didnt experience pretty much free healthcare from another country?

I have no complaints but admittedly I've not often need serious treatment. The situations you describe would all be exactly the type of situations I was suggesting - these are all areas of direct governmental interference. Blame the politicians not the NHS.

I think the biggest problem is making it completely free instead of 90% free, but the MAJOR issue i have with the NHS is the refusal of using offlabel medication for all sort of things, depression, parkinson, heart desease etc, its a medical disaster

Again, too much politics in the mix is the problem. The funding of it is fine imo; the problem is too many politicians spoil the broth. Rather than the endless interference and constant changes they need to take it out of party politics altogether and make it a crossbench matter. Been a political football far too long :\

Id agree following the news, in belguim its differened, all gps are private, tey give you a slip and the goverment pays you 90% back, here its allways no the nhs doesnt do that or some shit, like wtf dont they have education themselves? are docs treating patients here or what seems all they care about is pleasing the system.

I got taken off my dexamphetamine script so i had to self medicate with legal highs and dunno what to do now

I have no complaints personally about the care I've received from NHS hospitals (though many have), but I find GPs to be generally a self important bunch of wankers who will usually just advise 'take some paracetamol' after your first visit - which can take weeks to be seen unless the receptionist (who are usually on their own power trips) deems it an emergency.

You get what you pay for

That's crap. Just for a change from you.

There is much variety of service within the system. When I got cancer I got offered bog standard rip-it-out advice from a piss poor hospital in South Wales. Ignoring their advice, I did my own research, waited, and got a little bit lucky when my cancer became flavour of the month for a while and new trials were advertised on the mainstream media. Result? Totally different treatment in a London teaching hospital (UCH, they're fucking brilliant) and still have all my working parts I wouldn't have had if I'd gone straight for the initial advice.

People also don't realise, when bigging up the NHS, that doctors were last to come on board and did so very reluctantly. My understanding, as explained to me by my GP, is that they aren't even really fully part of the NHS but work on self-employed contracts and run their own trusts. They are not, as a nurse is, a mainstream part of the NHS. And maybe that explains why some of them aren't exactly the most understanding of people sometimes (while undoubtedly some others are outstanding).

Other than that, I've got a pretty bad 'care' story to share but I'm off out in a minute so....later.

It could be a LOT worse. You could have an American style health system where you pay for everything. Need private insurance or the Obamacare halfway house and pay the highest amount in the world for delivery of services and the cost of medicine. Universal health care is the way to go.

^

Nobody is denying that Consumer, but it still doesn't make the system exempt from criticism. In fact, criticism, constructively put, should aid improvement no?

^

Nobody is denying that Consumer, but it still doesn't make the system exempt from criticism. In fact, criticism, constructively put, should aid improvement no?
Oh for sure bro. I was not implying that. Just stating that a lot of countries with universal health care the conservative parties seem hell bent on adopting the American model. Thats what is happening here. I dont know much about the NHS but my point was the services are accessible to everyone regardless of income. Same here in oz though we also have a private system operating along side. But if you are really sick or fucked up you will end up getting treated in the public system anyway. I wont ever take out private insurance. It just sucks money away from the public system.
But every system deserves scrutiny and improvements can be made. Ours is no exception. But i know if something bad happens we have excellent hospitals staffed by great professional healthcare workers to fix me up for free. That is good to know. I would hate to be American.

any organisation / employer as large as the NHS is going to have patchy continuity in quality of service in various departments, regional variations and any health system is going to have variable quality of practitioners aswell, personally the NHS has saved my life on two ocassions and is the reason im alive today so I haven't got any 'horrible' stories to relate except perhaps to note that the stigma attached to treatment of people with drug related issues is as much a SOCIETAL issue as anything else in the UK.

I hear this often n I've only stayed in hospital four times.
When I was 9 n had croop, tonsilitus n slight pnuemonia. Everyone was lovely with me.
When i was preggers with high blood pressure. Again great care. Nurses were lovely with me n said I was a lovely patient as ususalky they're right moody gits atbthis stage in pregnancy apparently (i was around 39 weeks). With what they knew they could have been judgemental but weren't. Care was outstanding.
When I gave birthday. They gave me diamorphine n were lovely with me. Never judged me. Clean. Helped me batg baby etc (even tho i made sure to do most things myself) they were great.
When I ODd last year n was in for four days on a drip again they were lovely. Good care. Food wasn't bad. They didn't judge me. They were great in terms of care. The only one time a nurse snapped was when I explained about not being able to get subbies n I put that down to them being extremely busy. Some of these nurses in medical admissions unit were doing 14 hour shifts n wait until replacement staff could come in when some nurses didn't turn up for their shifts.

I've nothing but grattitude for the NHS n the care I've received in my life time. These nurses n doctors work bloody hard. I have admiration for them n the work they do especially in places like AnE where it's extremely busy <3

Evey

In the last three years I've had six major bowel surgeries and spent a total of nearly 100 days as an inpatient, either in ITU or on wards, plus countless days of outpatient treatments and consultations. No bad words to say about the care I've received. Food and cleanliness could have been better though.