• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cold sweats, shakes, and nausea from Oxycontin?

Tboy246

Bluelighter
My buddys been doing oxy for a year now a never experienced any negative side effects until recently. He has a medium tolerance to opiates as well. He always takes 2 Roxi 30's (60mgs of IR oxy) or 2 Oxycontin OP 20's chewed. However, these past couple times he has done the 2 OP 20's, he's gotten cold sweats, nausea, and the shakes during the comedown.. Why is that? And why is it happening all of the sudden? He never gets it from the Roxies though

How often does this happen? Daily? Once a week? 3 times a day?

They are both oxycodone (I think) so that is strange. Especially since 60 mg doesn't do it but 40 mg does. Would be curious to know if the 40 does much? Wonder if there could be something in the time release that's starting to cause an allergic reaction. Something's people are allergic to they aren't at first and then the more they are exposed to it the worse the allergy becomes.

Or if this is happening a few times a day, maybe the 40 isn't enough to satisfy the habit/tolerance and start having some withdrawal symptoms?

Just a bunch of guessing. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will post some insight.

I would assume it's because you need more to maintain your habit which with opiates, always rises and has no ceiling. Unfortunately perc 5s ain't gonna cut it no more

Just say "I, or Me", saying you're friend, swim, or your pet, are against forum rules. You're green though, so no biggie, now you know.

Now to answer your question, those symptoms sound like side effects from taking too high of a dose. You may possibly have taken a potentiator, like benadryl, before dosing. Or,you may be going into acute withdrawal. How many hours elapse between, your last dose, and on the onset of these symptoms?

And Yes Oxycontin and Roxi are both oxycodone, Roxie's are instant release, and OP's are extended release.

- Hopeless 7nos

I would assume it's because you need more to maintain your habit which with opiates, always rises and has no ceiling. Unfortunately perc 5s ain't gonna cut it no more

Uh what? He didn't mention "perc 5's" at all.. Or are you talking about your own situation?

- Hopeless 7nos

It could mean that you have a tolerance and need more and are going through a bit of withdrawal, or the nausea is extremely common with opiates. Stay safe. If you take lots of percocets in low doses I hope you do a cold water extraction first.

Last edited:
^ nausea is common with opioids, but cold sweats and shakes aren't AFAIK. However, the combination of the 3 is a common symptom of opioid withdrawal, so I'd go with it being withdrawal, since they start to experience it on "the comedown". So this means you've developed significant tolerance, and are dependent on opioids - you need them in your system to maintain normal bodily function. If you want to get rid of that, you have to take a break. A week should be fine, but prepare to experience the same unpleasant symptoms. And remember that your tolerance will have dropped by the end of it, so start low again.

I'm just posting for my friend as he has no experience with this site. The thing is that he is not addicted. This was his first time using in 2 months and the last time was the same spaced out time frame. Last time he took 2 Roxi 30's in the A.M. and an OP 20 at night with grapefruit juice. Its definitely not withdrawal and it definitely doesn't seem like the dose has anything to do with it. Its weird.. Its almost like the OP oxys are the issue and after the buzz it just turns to nausea, shakes and sweats. 40mgs is nothing compared to what he has done.
If he were to take 2 Roxi 30's right now he wouldn't get nausea at all. It seems like its only with the OP's

*sigh* it's 2016, everyone knows how to use the internet and forums. Looking at your posting history, you only joined this site to "help your friend"; everyone knows it's you. Trying to disguise yourself is against the rules because it just makes for messy posts, and it doesn't offer you any legal protection. Welcome to Bluelight.

Do the unpleasant symptoms vanish if you redose or have you not tried that? (not saying it's a good idea to start redosing to avoid unpleasant symptoms)

Redosing has been done plenty in the past, never any of the previously stated symptoms. These last couple time that the symptoms hit redosing wasn't tried though. Its always seems to happen about 4 hours after taking a couple of OP's. The symptoms go away in about an hour

I don't really know what to make of it, to be honest. The symptoms you're describing are very typical of lowered opioid activity, which happens during withdrawal due to tolerance. Are you taking any other drug/medication? It doesn't make sense that it happens without tolerance, and dissipates within an hour. However, people are different, and there are always atypical reactions to drugs, and I've experienced some as well. Maybe it's a sign to let the oxy go. In any case, stay safe.

It was a metaphor I guess you didn't catch that, a figure of speech... Obviously I didn't actually mean perc 5s it was just a comparison.

Have you tried other medications? Have you tried an equivalent dose of morphine? I would try that out and see if you have the same reaction. There is also different binders and fillers in different pills made by different manufacturers. You may be allergic to something in the pills you are taking.