• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cognitive versus well-being enhancement?

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
The idea of cognitive enhancement is both controversial and poorly defined. with current so-called smart drugs, especially prescription medicine, there’s debate over whether they are really cognitive boosters or just motivation enhancers. from what I’ve read, I believe this depends on both drug type and circumstance. for example, traditional cholinergic or AMPA modulating Nootropics are closer to true memory enhancement. dopaminergic drugs, like methylphenidate or amphetamine mainly work on motivation boosting drive to complete a particular task and helping want to focus on the reward outcome if they complete it. Simultaneously, they suppress the perception of effort making the task easier. A healthy individual could easily misinterpret that as profound cognitive enhancement, especially if they get a huge amount of work done.
I think many college students and office workers including myself, struggle with extreme procrastination, motivational problems and a strong component of anxiety. in my opinion, we are the people most likely to use things like psychostimulants to provide us with the energy to start tasks, whilst numbing the pain of actually doing the task.
I think there’s something similar going on for those who think nicotine/tobacco is a cognitive enhancer. yes, it does boost cognition at low doses in those without tolerance, but it’s a very minor/Insignificant effect which likely dissipates completely at higher doses and never returns after tolerance. The real benefits of nicotine, especially from cigarettes or chewing tobacco, comes from the induction of dopamine release and the sense of calm it brings to one having to carry out depressing/boring tasks.
Finally, I’ve even heard The odd reports from people claiming that cannabis or ketamine help them Study and perform better. in a way, they are probably correct, but not because their memory was enhanced. rather, their anxiety was probably removed, allowing them to continue with the necessary tasks.

What do you all think?

Relevant to my own issues, I’m really interested in the concept of psychological stress resilience. apparently, people with naturally higher dopamine levels are not only more competitive and hard-working, but more likely to be stress resilient. resilience isn’t really the decreased perception of stress, but rather the ability to adapt rapidly in the face of stress and the fact that severe stress doesn’t lead to mental deterioration. I think that in our current School or work environments, many of us could benefit from drugs that induce stress resilience rather than simply enhance cognition or memory.
Brain targets strongly implicated in stress resilience include, but are not limited to dopamine and its receptors, particularly in the nucleus accumbens, The dopamine associated transcription factor Delta FOSB, enkephalins and the Delta opioid receptor, Dynnorphin and its target the Kappa receptor amongst many others. this gives researchers plenty of avenues to work with and maybe in future we’ll all be taking work-related medication.
I’m a huge proponent of well-being, rather than cognitive enhancement unless that person truly needs cognitive enhancement. so many of us feel dumb simply because we hate The way we have to do things. also, I believe that in many cases, thinking/mental work can be much more draining and psychologically harmful than physical labour, especially if you despise every mental task and struggle to push through it. i’ve noticed that some really unhealthy people doing nightshift in a package sorting warehouse for many years seem 10 times happier Than many healthy people I know doing dayshift in an office.

Interesting question. I agree that it is common to mistake an increased sense of well-being for a genuine cognitive "enhancement", by which I mean, I guess, better or more efficient cognition rather than just more cognition.

On the other hand - stress of any kind is a short-term cognition inhibitor, so any substance that alleviates stress has the potential to be short term cognitive enhancer from a stressed baseline, even if it doesn't have any capacity to improve cognition beyond that baseline. Of course, there is a very very fine line, because substances that do alleviate stress, for the most part, have the potential to alleviate the stress of pressure or desire or motivation - or whatever name one might give to the flavour of cognitive load that is the feeling one should complete any given task - and the feeling of necessity to stress oneself further by actually embarking upon whatever challenging activity seemed to need some exogenous chemical "enhancement" in the first place. I guess to be cognitively enhancing in a reliable way, a substance needs to be highly selective for the type of stress that is inhibited. Stress related to fear of making the wrong decision, or of failure, which is probably the root of most procrastinative and avoidance behaviours, needs to be suppressed without also suppressing the desire to do something challenging in the first place. I had to stop myself using the word "difficult" in place of "challenging" there as the former seems to have a more negative implication than the latter... :sneaky: and it occurred to me while doing that that is probably the exact kind of subtle psychological difference in perception of any given activity or circumstance that might be extremely difficult or perhaps impossible to target from a purely chemical angle. It could be that the perfect smart drug does not exist as far as a single as yet-undiscovered molecule, but requires some kind of selective targeting of certain brain regions, even some kind of adaptive targeting that is modulated depending on the specifics of any given human brain.

I am one of those people who has made the mistake of thinking ketamine makes me perform better before. In reality, perhaps 1 out of 10 times I've unwisely decided to get a bunch of ketamine with the plan to use it in this way I'll experience a brief period of lifted anxiety, lifted second-guessing myself about every decision, and a mental silence that permits a clarity of thought that is usually difficult to come by, and for this brief time cognition could be said to be "enhanced" from the average. Of course, ketamine is already short acting, and this state of mind is precarious as it is because having a bunch of ketamine on hand usually looks like a much more enjoyable activity than whatever other task might require my attention, and the exact same relatively carefree state of mind that enables clarity of thought to focus on some kind of productive or useful task is also far more permissive about other thoughts like - I knew it, my procrastination habits aren't really so bad, I don't really need to focus on this thing right now, I've been being so hard on myself for no reason, I can just relax and do the rest of this ketamine!

Sorry haha I forgot what point I was trying to make and realised I'm just procrastinating now, I might come back to this thread with more thoughts later.

@Vastness thank you very much for your reply. yes, you’re right, most anxiolytics will probably also suppress motivation and drive by inducing a state of carelessness. that’s why I am more interested in stress resilience rather than simply numbing negative emotions. although this probably won’t be made into a therapy any time soon, increasing levels of the transcription factor Delta FOSB in the nucleus accumbens increases motivation/drive while simultaneously suppressing perception of risk and decreasing/blocking avoidance/ aversion to negative stimuli. just to reaffirm, stress resilience isn’t blocking the ability to feel stress, it’s the ability to resist breaking down and exhibiting despair like behaviour in the face of acute or chronic stress.
I’m really hopeful that certain pharmacological approaches or even magnetic brain stimulation could allowers to be conditioned to either enjoy, or at least tolerate the tasks we hate most.

Well looking at it from that point of view although I admit my understanding of neuropharmacology is sorely lacking... Are you saying deltaFosB might be a viable target for this idealised motivation enhancement? I guess via the same mechanisms that more typically are known to result in compulsive behaviours that aren't necessarily particularly useful as far as I'm aware? Wouldn't that potentially just increase one's susceptibility to all sorts of more immediately pleasurable avoidance and/or short-term pleasure seeking type behaviours?

On that note though this might be counterintuitive but do you think it's possible that the right balance of partial agonists at an optimal subtype of opioid receptors might be a viable approach? It seems that for one to be able to tolerate stress better one essentially needs to be able to find some kind of reward that makes the suffering worth it, and the human reward system is unavoidably linked to the opioid receptors, which is activated even for rewards that are largely self-generated (ie, from a fairly internal psychological reward event that could be viewed in a variety of ways, not all positive, largely dependent on one's psychological constitution, whether innate or cultivated). All endogenous endorphins are opioids, if I'm not mistaken, thus for an event to have the prospect of a reward, even to convince oneself that it might do, there is going to be some "opioidic" activity... I just spent a bunch of time googling endorphin and dopamine interactions I admit because obviously dopamine is more reliably associated with motivation that results in behavioural changes that actually produce activity whereas even endogenous opioid receptor activation can inhibit this... So dopamine reuptake is broadly enhanced by beta-endorphin-mediated opioid-receptor-agonism (although not reliably everywhere in the brain, just "broadly", again) which intuitively makes sense, given the reward/tendency-to-stop-trying-so-hard, but dopamine also induces endorphin release in itself even prior to the "reward" endorphin dump, thus modulating it's own reuptake sufficiently to keep the hedonic treadmill balanced... I just realised that I'm probably just describing in a kind of simplistic way one of the primary feedback loops that governs "neuronal homeostasis" and keeps us vaguely balanced but generally oscillating between goal-seeking and reward-experiencing behaviours. :unsure: Anyway I didn't actually get much insight from the aforementioned googling except to say that dopamine-endorphin interaction is complex.

However - having just thought about that and look at it from a more "upstream" neurotransmitter-oriented perspective that at the level of transcription factors, the right type of partial agonism, selective for the optimal opioid receptor subtypes, whatever they might be, that somehow caps activation just below the threshold of that which would trigger downregulation - oh wait, I just realised I'm describing a Positive Allosteric Modulator...

*googles*

OK, not quite, I'm describing a combined PAM and partial agonist... or am I? Are PAMs already partial agonists by nature? :unsure:

mOR PAMs are currently the subject of research for pain management, if not motivation enhancement, evidently:

https://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/385/S3/210

Behind a paywall though so I can't see exactly what's going on but it probably wouldn't mean much to me anyway. So the right PAM/partial opioid agonist combined with, perhaps, another highly selective dopamine receptor PAM - wait - not a positive one, just an allosteric modulator? Oh wait, these things are mentioned in that article I just linked, Neutral Allosteric Ligands. OK so a highly selective mOR NAL and another NAL for dopamine which is selective for whatever subtypes are most affected by beta-endorphin mediated DR enhancement. Or perhaps just a regionally selective DRI if such a compound can exist... actually no, I think that would be more difficult.

Evidently selective dopamine receptor NALs are currently of some interest or at least speculation for treatment - or at least symptom management - of Parkinson's and Schizophrenia, which would seem to indicate that there is at least a theoretical basis for a positive behavioural impact or correcting dysregulation induced by either broad neuronal degradation as in the case of Parkinson's or whatever mechanisms result in Schizophenic dopamine dysfunction:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8964653/

(Although that study isn't behavioural, but purely in vitro [in silico?].)

So this answer has ended up more stream-of-consciousness than I originally intended but having thought about it more since we essentially do know that the human motivation/reward mechanism is largely mediated by a balance of opioid and dopamine interactions, I wonder if a simpler route to arriving at the "ideal" cognitive enhancer - and I'm realising now this might be a divergence from whatever the original definition of "enhancement" was in this discussion, but going from the starting point of not inhibiting stress responses but enhancing stress tolerance. which, I think I agree, sounds like a preferable option - could perhaps be as "simple" (hah!) as an optimal calibration of these neurotransmitter systems.

I realise I started talking about endorphins generally and at some point just switched to beta-endorphin alone, also possibly at points I might have mixed up my thinking about brain regions versus receptor subtypes, I can't remember if or how much this matters though, if I ever had any idea.

Saying that I guess even having calibrated the stress/motivation/reward balances optimally - while this would surely go a significant way towards enhancing the cognitive baseline of almost everyone but the most genetically and environmentally fortunate who already have peak-optimal functioning motivation and reward systems that just cannot be improved - the next step is actual enhancement by upstream enhancement of neuroplasticity via something like deltaFosB. An interesting consideration is whether dysregulation (but within the realm of what would typically considered a normally functioning human brain, ie, not with any diagnosable dysfunction such as Schizophrenia or even mild depression or some AD(H)D symptoms) would naturally make someone more resistant to the negative behavioural changes that can arise with deltaFosB activation? Perhaps it would...

Also... obviously this is another feedback loop of the human brain, the interaction between the reward system and deltaFosB, because reinforcing substances themselves induce deltaFosB activation as part of the mechanism of habituation which leads to addiction or at least compulsive use in the face of obviously diminishing rewards and intellectually obvious downsides... would a "fixed" or even just optimal human dopamine and endorphin balance naturally enhance deltaFosB anyway, with intrinsically protective effects against the formation of destructive habits? (Which include, obviously, those with detrimental effects on cognition.) I guess it might do, but given that seemingly already very smart and motivated people are still vulnerable to learning extremely bad habits, it's perhaps not enough if we are looking to truly optimise the functioning of the human brain. Although, perhaps in the shorter term... just the right environment within which induced deltaFosB release can entrench habits of thought which are themselves both protective against bad "habits of thought" and preferential towards good ones could still create some kind of self-reinforcing enhancement within the need to directly induce or otherwise mess with the complexity of directly augmented neuroplasticity.

OK I think I'm out of thoughts for now.

I'll just briefly try to relate some of this to my own experience - tianeptine is known to be a reasonably selective mOR agonist, although it does also have BDNF and AMPA activity. While I think it's fairly widely known by now that the ideas that it doesn't have any abuse potential, and before that the idea that it wasn't even an opiate opioid, but a SRE, were not accurate - I have no concrete studies to back this up but I think at low enough doses it might well function very similarly to a mOR PAM, given the other activity. Opioids themselves trigger BDNF release, and BDNF increases sensitivity to opioid agonism, thus probably kicking off a part of the loop that ends up suppressing natural endorphin release and subsequent receptor downregulation, so the fact that tianeptine has a direct effect on BDNF likely has a small protective buffer effect against tolerance, in addition to the enhanced neuroplasticity induced from BDNF release it also enhances glutamate activity via AMPA activation, which has actually been studied as possibly suppressing the formation of opioid tolerance:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6847983/ (AMPA Receptor Positive Allosteric Modulators Attenuate Opioid Tolerance and Dependence)

So I guess it's a bit of stretch to say tianeptine itself is a PAM or even an effective PAM because I know it's been shown to be a full agonist, so the AMPA and BDNF activity and their somewhat protective effects against opioid receptor downregulation can be easily overcome, but it seems to me not to be entirely false that it does have a reduced capacity to induce tolerance if doses are kept strictly below a certain threshold. Anyway I bring this up basically because in my experience tianeptine is cognitively enhancing in a way that other opiates simply aren't and in a way that cannot be accounted for simply by opiate-mediated anxiolysis. It's not perfect though because even with the inhibition and even at low doses I think that full agonism does still have a creeping dysregulating effect and reduced effectiveness, and obviously this stuff is just a kind of interesting accident of design, not something that was exactly planned, so it's not surprising that the relative balances of it's effect on these various systems would still be slightly unbalanced and liable to eventually tip into an unignorable downside.

Oh, while I was trying to find that study linked above I ended up coming across a bunch of research on deltaFosB that was specifically focused on enhanced stress tolerance, so my bad. :LOL: That's interesting stuff for sure, I've only been aware of it in the context of drug-induced compulsive behaviours, for whatever reason.

This is turning into a very long post - or has already turned into one - so I won't bother linking any of the exact studies but I remember a few of them mentioned implication of ampakine activity in the, or at least one of, the mechanisms by which deltaFosB mediates neuroplastic enhancement of stress tolerance, which is - I believe - a direct target of most of the well known 'racetam family of nootropics, and something it shares more indirectly (IIRC) with more well studied neurotrophic factors such as BDNF and NGF (I think?) which brings to mind noopept and NSI-189.

Noopept is known to be a releaser of both the aforementioned NFs and I think some others - in my experience it's actually not especially enhancing, at least in the acute phase of effects - in the context of what I just said that sensitization to endogenous opioid activity is perhaps an explanation for this. Actually as far as a "partial enhancer" I think it perhaps occupies a different fragment of the same spectrum of one possible approach to a theoretical "ideal enhancement" mediated primarily by modulation of the opioid and dopamine systems as tianeptine does - I think it is a "wellbeing enhancer", in a fairly subtle way, but it lacks the motivational aspect that tianeptine seems to possess, presumably due to the absence of opioid activity and second-order (presumed) dopamine release - actually it would surely be more correct to say that the balance of neural effects is weighted towards being demotivational, in a pleasant way.

NSI-189 is really not well understood yet, AFAIK, but also neutrophic factor release is (I think probably) one of the most important elements of it's mechanism of action. NSI-189 IME is NOT demotivational in the same way as noopept is - although neither is it especially motivational, or directly motivational - but in my experience it IS wellbeing enhancing in a very similar way, and with fewer downsides than noopept. Noopept directly modulates AMPA activity whereas (I think!) NSI-189 perhaps doesn't directly, but perhaps has some kind of downstream AMPA impact from whatever other activity it has. I thought I read somewhere a while back that NSI-189 also acts as some kind of cortisol inhibitor, but I could have totally made that up because I haven't been able to find anything about this since... but both noopept and NSI-189, IME, have a smoothing effect on blunt dopaminergic stimulants - mitigating both some of the negatives during the acute phase of dopamine-fuelled stimulation (anxiety, overstimulation, peripheral effects), AND most of the negatives of the dopamine crash in the aftermath - AND, in fact, and this is far more true for NSI-189 than it is noopept, in mitigating the anhedonia of stimulant overuse, and possibly even the PAWS of opioidergic dysregulation from opioid overuse. I haven't tried it in the acute phase of opioid withdrawal, and actually never even thought to, because it is not particularly reinforcing, I have to think about it to remember what it actually feels like to be on it, which is itself a pretty interesting phenomenon, I think...

All the substances I just mentioned are inconsistent both in terms of the people who report positive effects however, and even in properly controlled scientific studies, although I don't believe either has been directly studied for PAWS anhedonia, so they are obviously far from the "ideal" enhancer, but with the exception of NSI-189 which is a bit of an outlier due to the lack of clarity about it's mechanism - but which, honestly, I include because my perception of it is as a kind of Noopept 2.0 - all these substances share some of the neurotransmitter involvement spectrum with deltaFosB, primarily through AMPA but perhaps via other less clear mechanisms.

I was going to say something about Phenylpiracetam which is another interesting substance to me on the topic of cognitive enhancement, being basically Piracetam but an undeniably effective dopaminergic stimulant, but without the negatives of amphetamines, for example, or other classes of more "hard" stimulants, and is essentially a DRI with some strangely divergent effects on different dopamine receptor subtypes, unless this has since been disproven while it has a tolerance curve like nothing else which seemingly cannot be overcome with just ramping up the dose, perhaps some kind of ceiling effect even although I haven't tested this and wouldn't advise it - still upregulates D3 or D5 or something while downregulating most of the rest of them. I can't think exactly where it fits in to whatever picture it is I'm trying to paint now though except as dopamine agonism seemingly done well, assuming only 1 dose a week or something. Being a racetam there is also AMPA involvement though.

OK haha, think I'm out of words for now... oh, I could say something about modafinil probably, although actually I'm not entirely convinced modafinil is at all "enhancing" anymore, I think it's potentially a glorified orexin-inhibiting atypical dopaminergic, which maybe applies to all the eugeroics. Obviously it is a highly effective eugeroic, but alertness is not itself necessarily an "enhancement" although it is very easy to mistake for one and having used armodafinil for a very long time, perhaps more regularly than any other substance I've ever done, I think I'm reasonably qualified to say this... if not quite as much as an actual scientific study. Oh, I know the eugeroics have been shown to enhance working memory as well, which is, I guess, a very specific kind of enhancement but still not necessarily an indicator of any kind of global or sustainably improved ability to learn. The tolerance curve is amazingly shallow, I'll give it that... but actually I think it might well have many of the downsides of more traditional stimulants, just ones that manifest over a far, far longer timescale.

Last edited:
@Vastness sorry for not replying directly to your post, I don’t know how to do it without quoting/duplicating all the text from your post. thank you for all these suggestions and ideas, i’ll try and address the main ones below.

Dopamine and opioids:
As you correctly said, dopamine plays a complex role in both reward seeking and actual experience of reward. it also overlaps very strongly with the opioid system in a very complex and somewhat contradictory loop that involves both negative and positive feedback elements. this extremely complex system allows us to experience a huge range of possible emotions in response to rapidly changing environmental or psychological conditions. It should also be noted that both endogenous opioids and dopamine are actually considered neuromodulators as there well known affects generally result from downstream changes to neuronal ion channels and especially ionotropic glutamate receptors, most notably, AMPA. in general however, endogenous opioids like endorphins are thought to generally stimulate direct experience of pleasure where as dopamine is more involved in reward anticipation. things get interesting when we consider the Delta opioid receptor, A target which has seen little translation into clinical therapy but which may hold the most potential in treating A whole host of neurodegenerative and psychological brain diseases. Delta opioid receptors are particularly fascinating because there affects on reward seem quite nuanced/neutral, yet they could be one of the most potent inducers of stress resilience.

Delta FOSB:
This one’s got to be my favourite and I’m glad you’ve done extra research on it. it is definitely involved in addiction and impulsive behaviours associated with drug addiction but contrary to what many people believe, it is not responsible for tolerance to drug or natural reward. rather, it is an extremely powerful, if not the most powerful reward sensitiser known to man. i’m really glad you found the link between Delta FOSB and AMPA receptors, as it is precisely this mechanism by which Delta FOSB induces both reward sensitisation and stress resilience. however, I’ll explain why Delta FOSB shouldn’t be compared to BDNF or nootropics in terms of effects on behaviour or AMPA receptors. BDNF and AMPA activating Nootropics generally work to enhance calcium influx through AMPA receptors, Whilst BDNF and related growth factors also increase the synthesis and insertion of GLUR1 subunits of the AMPA receptor into the membrane. More GLUR1 availability means increase probability of calcium permeable AMPA receptors forming and generally enhanced long-term potentiation/neuronal excitability. this is actually why too much BDNF contributes to propagation of epilepsy and worsening seizures. on the other hand, Delta FOSB increases the synthesis and expression of a different AMPA receptor subunit called GLUR2. this subunits usually renders AMPA receptors less conductive to all ions but more importantly, it generally makes them completely impermeable/resistant to calcium ions. when this happens, overall neuronal excitability is dramatically reduced and existing synaptic activity maybe stabilised. opposite to Growth factors like BDNF, Delta FOSB May actually protect against seizures and epilepsy related neuronal damage by preventing excessive calcium influx through AMPA receptors.
When Delta FOSB increases GLUR2 in brain regions like the nucleus accumbens and hippocampus, The decreased neuron excitability is translated into enhanced reward sensitivity and stress resilience. maybe I’m thinking too deeply about this, but I’m wondering whether Delta FOSB induced synaptic stability could contribute to behavioural rigidity found in addiction.
What makes Delta FOSB A very special resilience factor:
Basically, there are two typical forms of stress response found in animals and both can be considered a form of resilience under various circumstances. these are called passive and active coping. A passive response can include numbing of emotions, decreased locomotor activity and social avoidance behaviour. unfortunately, under chronic stress this response can intensify to the point of learned helplessness and severe major depression and involves seriously decreased reward System function. The opposite type of stress response is active coping and this can include things like the fight or flight reaction, increased locomotor activity, anxiety and most interestingly enhanced reward system function. Delta FOSB works to mediate active coping mechanisms while simultaneously suppressing passive ones. this is why animals overexpressing Delta FOSB are resistant to social defeat stress while simultaneously having much heightened preference/sensitivity to behavioural rewards like sucrose water and sexual activity. they are also extremely sensitive to the rewarding effects of cocaine, even at doses of the drug typically too low to be rewarding in wild-type animals. I guess the problem with increasing Delta FOSB in humans could be excessive reward sensitivity to unhealthy rewards, but this could be managed through better education of anyone preparing to receive such a therapy. A very interesting observation regarding Delta FOSB is that its levels were found to be abnormally low in the brains of post-mortem sufferers of severe depression.
To briefly summarise, Delta FOSB favours or rather enforces an active coping response to stress mainly based on chronically enhanced dopaminergic/ reward related activity, synaptic stability and associated behavioural rigidity, resistance to depression and anhedonia and suppression of the ability to feel aversive or risk related emotions.

Going back to Nootropics and neurotrophic factors, whilst they do improve cognition and have shown antidepressant effects, there is concern they could actually worsen depression or cause it for people who weren’t depressed before. actually, many cognitive enhancers, especially cholinergic ones like piracetam have been anecdotaly linked with the onset of depression and sexual dysfunction. High levels of BDNF in the nucleus accumbens is actually linked with depressive behaviour and anhedonia which occurs after chronic stress or drug withdrawal. this depressive behaviour is thought to be linked to an increase of calcium permeable AMPA receptors in the nucleus accumbens shell.

Sorry for the huge post, hope you find it useful and please feel free to ask me any new questions or if you want clarification on anything I’ve wrote in this post.

The reason I focus so much on dopamine and Delta FOSB is because I see them as a major key to sustainable and lifelong well-being enhancement. whilst true cognitive enhancement could certainly improve many peoples prospects in employment, at least where I live, most non manual jobs, including office/corporate jobs don’t really require as much creative/problem-solving brain power as one may initially think. instead, they mainly consist of A huge set of laborious, boring admin tasks thrown at you an unpredictable manner, interspersed with even more boring and truly stressful/draining research projects one very likely couldn’t care less about.
We have to be realistic, someone needs to do these jobs and most people available to do them will be people who hate them. this is why I strongly believe that drug/therapies solely aimed at well-being enhancement are both necessary and ethically justified.
I once read that strong snuff really help Victorian factory or mill workers to get through the day. A modern day example is my own brother who started smoking cigarettes, something he said was vital in helping him to keep his warehouse job. likewise, many of his colleagues either use chewing tobacco or smoke cannabis to help them withstand The miserable working conditions. finally, there’s the widespread use of Adderall by office workers, many of whom actually intend to use it for cognitive enhancement, but actually get no such enhancement, and instead benefit from The masking of boredom and fatigue. some users were shocked when they discovered this fact on doing some self reflection.
Finally, the need for well-being enhancement is ever greater today, given the large numbers of people working from home. I am one of these people. in my own experience, and many others I’ve heard from, working from home is exponentially more difficult and stressful due to the massively increased tendency to procrastinate, A lack of separation between Home and Work, A sense of social isolation and lack of colleague support.

Well I used to have a script for Methylphenidate and when it comes to cognitive enhancers such as something like L-Dopa or 5-HTP it just dosn't compare to Methylphendate or Dextroamphetamine. I remember when I used to do factory work and it really helped me out with my work. Now I just take supplements and there just not as good.

Well I used to have a script for Methylphenidate and when it comes to cognitive enhancers such as something like L-Dopa or 5-HTP it just dosn't compare to Methylphendate or Dextroamphetamine. I remember when I used to do factory work and it really helped me out with my work. Now I just take supplements and there just not as good.

Levodopa and 5HTP have Poor bioavailability when taken alone, but if they are coadministered with a peripheral amino acid decarboxylase inhibitor like benserazide or carbidopa I think bioavailability May reach 90% and they can easily cross the blood brain barrier enlarge quantities. there they can be converted to dopamine and serotonin respectively. however, I wouldn’t really call these cognitive enhancers as such. furthermore, I really hope you aren’t taking levodopa in hi doses or combining it with peripheral decarboxylase inhibitors unless you’re prescribed this for Parkinson’s disease. levodopa is a very powerful and potentially dangerous drug that causes severe, Usually irreversible dyskinesias in those taking it for Parkinson’s disease.
5HTP is perhaps a little safer, but in my opinion, when taken at high doses or combined with peripheral amino acid decarboxylase inhibitors, it is no less safer than the traditional SSRI antidepressants and probably comes with the same side-effects, including emotional numbing, worsening depression, anxiety and sexual dysfunction.
If you really need a dopaminergic boost, I suggest you stick to methylphenidate on an occasional basis, but remember that psychostimulants as we currently know them aren’t a sustainable long-term solution for most people due to tolerance or psychological side-effects. also, I encourage you to investigate/try other supplements including Acetylcarnitine, sulbutiamine, L-Tyrosine and inositol. combining these should dramatically boost natural catecholamine production while specifically enhancing dopamine receptor signalling as well. also, adding some antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin E, along with the balance of minerals, including zinc and magnesium should work collectively to boost your cognition and mood and give your body the resources to recover from stimulant use.

By far best cognitive enhancer I tried is, no question, l-deprenyl. Beats everything else by giant difference. Beats both nootropics and classic stimulants.

As for best thing to be productive, motivated, have will to do something, psychedelics or better said some time following good strong experience take the first place. Due to anxiety issues in my case second place goes to etizolam. Someone please make benzo that’s neuroprotective xD

OT
My man said it above.... Peanut butter for any gabapentinoid ... got me wanting some PB now hell it's good with everything even on its own.
😆

Last edited:
By far best cognitive enhancer I tried is, no question, l-deprenyl. Beats everything else by giant difference. Beats both nootropics and classic stimulants.

As for best thing to be productive, motivated, have will to do something, psychedelics or better said some time following good strong experience take the first place. Due to anxiety issues in my case second place goes to etizolam. Someone please make benzo that’s neuroprotective xD

L-deprenyl(Selegiline) is something I really wanted to try as a motivational enhancer. I actually made a thread about it which I’ll link at the end of this response. do you mind describing how much and how often you took l-deprenyl and how exactly it helped you.

Due to my extreme difficulties with motivation and procrastination, combined with chronic fatigue, I’m thinking of taking between 5 to 10 mg sublingual on a daily basis.
Here’s the link to my thread if you want to check it out.

Interesting stuff... am just digesting/reading about the rest of the stuff but a few points/questions... Mainly regarding the AMPA/BDNF/GluR stuff.

High levels of BDNF in the nucleus accumbens is actually linked with depressive behaviour and anhedonia which occurs after chronic stress or drug withdrawal. this depressive behaviour is thought to be linked to an increase of calcium permeable AMPA receptors in the nucleus accumbens shell.
Given that glutamate receptors in the hippocampus are weighted towards GluR2 over GluR1 (I think?), presumably substances that preferentially increase BDNF in the hippocampus versus other brain regions would be preferable in terms of "enhancement potential"? I'm thinking mainly of NSI-189 which I think this applies to, although possibly there is some different in the more well known racetams as well which should be considered... although obviously it's not ideal, I've read reports of increased anxiety and other symptoms which are more commonly reported with older BDNF-"inducers", racetams and such.

Besides that... besides delaFosB, are you aware of any other substances which specifically increases the expression of GluR2? I did just have a brief look but it seems the relative magnitude of upregulation of glutamate receptors among existing substances is not really well studied at all, or maybe just not that interesting, for whatever reason, if this is only part of the story... on that note, are there ampakines or other substances which would preferentially downregulate GluR1...? This might seem a kind of crude way to do it and it probably is but I was just wondering if a global glutamate receptor upregulation followed by (or accompanying) GluR1 downregulation, specifically, might achieve a similar effect that deltaFosB does far more efficiently.

Given deltaFosB's promise, are there any known substances in existence right now which specifically enhance deltaFosB? I'm guessing not.

Interesting stuff... am just digesting/reading about the rest of the stuff but a few points/questions... Mainly regarding the AMPA/BDNF/GluR stuff.

Given that glutamate receptors in the hippocampus are weighted towards GluR2 over GluR1 (I think?), presumably substances that preferentially increase BDNF in the hippocampus versus other brain regions would be preferable in terms of "enhancement potential"? I'm thinking mainly of NSI-189 which I think this applies to, although possibly there is some different in the more well known racetams as well which should be considered... although obviously it's not ideal, I've read reports of increased anxiety and other symptoms which are more commonly reported with older BDNF-"inducers", racetams and such.

Besides that... besides delaFosB, are you aware of any other substances which specifically increases the expression of GluR2? I did just have a brief look but it seems the relative magnitude of upregulation of glutamate receptors among existing substances is not really well studied at all, or maybe just not that interesting, for whatever reason, if this is only part of the story... on that note, are there ampakines or other substances which would preferentially downregulate GluR1...? This might seem a kind of crude way to do it and it probably is but I was just wondering if a global glutamate receptor upregulation followed by (or accompanying) GluR1 downregulation, specifically, might achieve a similar effect that deltaFosB does far more efficiently.

Given deltaFosB's promise, are there any known substances in existence right now which specifically enhance deltaFosB? I'm guessing not.

Thank you for your interest in this topic and your questions. Can’t promise I have the answers but I’ll try my best. firstly, in regards to the hippocampus, I think there’s a mainly equal balance of GLUR1 and GLUR2 and they usually join together to form a Heterodimer complex containing both subunits. if I remember correctly, this AMPA receptor complex is quite permeable to ions like sodium and potassium allowing electrical impulses to be transmitted, whilst simultaneously being resistant to calcium ions. however, I think during intense learning/memory(LTP induction) GLUR2 lacking AMPA receptors containing either GLUR1 alone, or combined with GLUR3 are formed. these are highly calcium permeable this triggering a vast range of neuronal changes including dendritic, metabolic and genetic ones. that is precisely why BDNF in the hippocampus is vital for proper Learning and memory functions. it’s interesting to note that in the hippocampus, stable GLUR1/ GLUR2 AMPA receptor complexes are actually increased in mania. not sure why this is the case, but there seems to be an association between GLUR2 and a good mood. nevertheless, you are correct in believing that mild increase in Hippocampal BDNF whether through exercise, fasting, drugs or supplements, is a good strategy for someone needing true cognitive enhancement. in regards to Nootropics like Ampakines or even the neurogenic stimulator NSI189, i’m sure they could be very beneficial for certain types of learning tasks. however, in trials for depression NSI189 failed to meet the criteria for an effective antidepressant. i’m wondering if people who benefit considerably from Nootropics are generally those who are quite disciplined and able to focus their minds on the task at hand. I assume these drugs will do little or nothing for people who simply can’t be bothered doing the task at hand or hate studying a particular subject.

i’m not aware of a substance that can induce a long-term increase in GLUR2 availability through the mechanism you proposed. Ampakines can actually induce AMPA receptor desensitisation, though it is likely in such cases that both GLUR1 and GLUR2 would be simultaneously removed.
In terms of efficiency, I think Delta FOSB is the clear winner, as it is a transcription factor, meaning it directly calls on the cell to produce more or less of A range of proteins. Delta FOSB binds to the gene promoter of GLUR2, causing the neuron to ramp up production of this subunit. then there’s the fact that Delta FOSB is incredibly stable, more so than any other transcription factor. It can remain in the neuron for several weeks after accumulating.

Unfortunately, the only currently known way to induce large amounts of Delta FOSB is to regularly use cocaine or methylphenidate in high doses. as you already know, that’s a pretty bad idea and isn’t a long-term solution to anything. i’ve been pondering on the question myself of why Delta FOSB doesn’t seem to produce stress resilience in addicted individuals, despite being at high levels in their brains. I have a few ideas, though none of them are proven scientifically. firstly, it could be that recreational drug abuse causes widespread imbalances of brain circuitry and systems, resulting in an overall negative state that doesn’t respond to Delta FOSB’s protective effect, or is at least less sensitive to it. nevertheless, I believe it is more likely that Delta FOSB is actually still producing powerful resilience in the brains of addicts and had it been absent, the sense of depression and despair may have been much worse. I read a really interesting article about Delta FOSB and its ability to simultaneously induced tolerance to the cognitive impairing effects of cocaine whilst enhancing its rewarding and locomotor stimulating effects. The authors made a very interesting observation in which they proposed that those who didn’t suffer cognitive impairment from acute cocaine administration we’re at much higher risk of serious addiction. Delta FOSB’s involvement in this phenomena goes beyond its traditional Roll in reward sensitisation in addiction. if proven true, it’s ability to protect against cocaine induced cognitive impairment could make the experience all the more rewarding and deceptively risk-free for the user whilst also permitting new users to hide their cocaine use from family or friends, since they might not demonstrate tell-tale behavioural signs of drug use.

I think this is the Study:

i’ve recently been reading about the biology of productivity and I believe it has important implications for the ethics of pharmacological neuroenhancement. apparently, naturally hard-working/highly driven individuals have higher than average basal dopamine levels. doesn’t sound surprising, but actually, it is, given the modern notion that single brain chemicals don’t normally contribute to major behavioural or personality attributes. so what’s the problem? well, I don’t mean to generalise, but it is often hard workers Who are fiercely opposed to chemical performance enhancement at work. some of these individuals obviously fear competition and that’s understandable but by no means a good thing. however, I actually believe most hard workers Who are against so called smart drugs genuinely believe their use is lazy, unnecessary, dangerous and A challenge to the social norms of productivity through hard work as a praiseworthy attribute. since they may be genuinely unaware of their biological predisposition towards high intrinsic motivation, Energy and extremely sensitive reward outcome perception, combined with diminished sense of effort and decreased/non-existent aversion to difficult tasks, they simply don’t understand slackers like me. they genuinely can’t understand how people can sit around doing nothing productive and see laziness/lack of motivation as a stupid choice. unfortunately, their stance is rather hypocritical, given they are in a naturally enhanced state of drive giving them a serious biological edge over the general population, let alone those like me, who are probably biologically slackers with lower than average dopamine levels. I do try to empathise with those natural hard workers i’ve just described, but it’s very difficult to resist absolutely despising them when I encounter their derogatory views and attitudes towards slackers Who aren’t even affecting them. fair enough if an inconsiderate lazy person is holding back the team and not doing their share of the work, but why hate on people you don’t know and who’s life choices have no impact on you? why get annoyed when someone is happy just to sit at home doing their hobbies?
Sorry everyone, went on a bit of a rant there!

i’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on either cognitive or well-being enhancement. I assume everyone on here is all for it, but it’s nice to hear from all sides.
Here are my own thoughts. personally, I’m fascinated by psychoactive substances and love learning/reading about them and this goes back to childhood. in regards to using them, whether recreationally or for work-related purposes, I feel it’s a very personal choice. however, I do believe we should do a lot of self reflection on why exactly we may want to use a drug and whether that desire is attainable through use of that substance. secondly, we should thoroughly assess all risks and fully prepare to face and take full responsibility for them Should they occur. it’s also important to make sure we know where to find support if things go wrong. ethically, I view chemical enhancement as ethically justified but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for everyone or at all times.
I can understand some peoples fears that True cognitive enhancement could devalue hard work and create excessive competition with unknown/Unintended consequences for the economy and society. Though this might surprise some of you, I believe in fairness, but not necessarily equality especially economically. for example, we all sometimes wish to be successful millionaire Business owners, but are we really ready to work and live that lifestyle? Would we be massively happier awe truly appreciate life in the same way if we were all super successful cognitive machines? probably not. this is why I’m in favour of developing a sustainable stress resilience drug that either maintains or better enhances well-being without tolerance, allowing people to work to their full potential in their miserable jobs without suffering the negative psychological consequences. such an approach could also lead to people being promoted, but as a more gentle form of performance enhancement, hopefully excess competition won’t throw the economy off-balance or lead to lower wages.
This might be a bit of a tangent, but I believe that as we develop performance enhancers and even as robots take over many factory jobs, I believe we should encourage worldwide voluntary contraceptive use to decrease the population. I know we’ll never get to a utopia, but a reduced population could massively offset The devastating consequences of mass robotisation of the workplace/Business.

I’m all for better living trough chemistry, since childhood and I’m pretty sure I’ll be on my deathbed too (well might skip the bed part and die standing up lol)

Ever though about who uses (a lot) coke? Yeah, sure, coke is everywhere but where’s really good coke for ages now, in certain, hm, money bringing professions. Maybe not to the extent some fictional works portrait it but I tell you what, it ain’t far from that either.

this is a bit abstract but I’m wondering how long-term sustainable mood elevation using a molecule or gene could affect a person and would it be something a person would want all the time? The reason I ask is because i’ve heard that many people on mood stabilisers get fed up of having flat emotions and say they feel bored, so they stop taking the medication, despite the immense relief it has given them.
Strangely, I personally wouldn’t want to be Super euphoric all the time, but I’d definitely rather feel good than bad unless I was supposed to feel sad, for example the death of a loved one/friend, or when I hear about human suffering and atrocities.
That’s why am so obsessed with dopamine,Delta FOSB and the stress resilience they can induce. as I’ve mentioned before, they can enhance reward and could potentially be manipulated to do so, without interfering with important negative emotions like sadness, reasonable anxiety or fear. on the other hand, drugs like lithium, which some have wrongly suggested is beneficial for stress, May suppress all emotions though it is particularly good at suppressing positive emotions like euphoria, excitement, Drive/motivation and positive anticipation.

IMO i would rather attempt to self-medicate and feel good when and how i want to rather than never feel much of anything at all. I haven’t been prescribed anything like lithium but the people i know who have been seem like they don’t get to experience either happiness or sadness in the same way they did before.

IMO i would rather attempt to self-medicate and feel good when and how i want to rather than never feel much of anything at all. I haven’t been prescribed anything like lithium but the people i know who have been seem like they don’t get to experience either happiness or sadness in the same way they did before.

Exactly, I agree with you. lithium definitely seems to kill emotion both negative and positive but I think it’s slightly stronger in suppressing positive emotions, and that’s why it is deemed highly useful for treating bipolar mania. not saying lithium doesn’t help, it has probably saved many lives, but having no emotion seems just awful and I’m not surprised people have referred to lithium and antipsychotics as evil medications. in my opinion, self-medication is sometimes really underrated, of course, so long as it’s not something that’s detrimental or unsustainable. I read a lot about how my favourite drug nicotine supposedly doesn’t help with stress and with regular use, makes anxiety and procrastination worse. strangely, whenever I managed to get hold of very high nicotine Vapes or chewing tobacco and used it daily over a few months I became much more happy and resilient and I procrastinated much less. Yes, it’s true there was no direct cognitive enhancement as my memory didn’t improve, but nicotine somehow stabilise my mood whilst lifting it slightly and not affecting my natural emotional responses. when I tell people about this, nobody believes me and they say self-medication, which doesn’t work. I guess I can never prove to them that it does, unless they could somehow see into my conscience!