Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

codeinephosphate-sesquihydrate vs codeinephosphate-hemihydrate

celsior

Greenlighter
Hi y'all!

Is there at all any noticeable difference between these two codeine salts?

codeinephosphate-sesquihydrate

codeinephosphate-hemihydrate

This thread is more set for the Advance Drug Discussion forum. As far as I'm aware of, only codeine phosphate is available in Australia.

I wouldn't venture to say it's advanced, and it's definitely not Australian.

celsior: It is just different forms of codeine. In the hemihydrate form, for every two molecules of codeine phosphate there is one molecule of water of crystalization.

The sesquihydrate has three molecules of water for every two molecules of codeine phosphate.

The water is basically part of the crystalline structure of the codeine phosphate, but it can be removed via a little heat.

In terms of effects, at equipotent doses, no there would be no difference.

^ You and I know that, but the OP maybe doesn't and my guess based on his question was whether the difference in form of the drug would influence effects.

Is there at all any noticeable difference between these two codeine salts?

Only dosage. Mr Squiggle already posted a conversion to what I guess must be codeine base? I can't be bothered doing the maths right now but maybe someone else wants to give it a shot. Maths isn't my strong suit though... not by a long shot. :\

You guys really know your stuff! Thanks.

Squiggle, I am norwegian. I got to choose from the two different types. I chose sesquihydrate ones because they're 100mg less APAP (they're 400/30). Strangely enough, the sesquihydrate ones contain the e161g color additive which'll produce a pink CWE mix. The e161g is banned in aus/NZ/EU/US bcause its known to cause retina failure, liver injury and an itching condition in humans - as if APAP/codeine doesnt cause enough complications...

Anyway, appreciate all the replies.

^ It can also give you a hot tan. A Google image search for canthananthin turned up this comparative research study:

NSFW:
tandif.png

fap fap fap... oh

i wonder why they dont just heat these hydrate salts when they're making these pills?

So what you guys are saying is that these two forms of codeine are not the same in terms of dosage, or that one would need to take different doses of each drug to get the same effect, you mean like beer and vodka?

That’s very interesting.

Since doses are given as the phosphate (ignoring the water of crystallization), it makes no difference to potency. It will alter solubility but have no practical effect.