• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Codeine withdrawal and restless leg syndrome

89sn89

Greenlighter
Hi, this is my first post here so sorry if it is in the wrong place, too long or confusing. I have read several threads but none seem to match my exact problems and questions.

Long story short I?ve taken codeine on and off (10 years) for migraines and developed a proper liking to them about two years ago. It wasn?t until last August time when I was taking around 90-100mg once maybe twice a day, 3 times at weekends if there was football on. I realised it needed to stop. I went cold turkey, there were no other side effects really other than slight insomnia and restless leg syndrome. After around 4 days of this with a total of about 3 hours sleep I went to the doctors mainly for reassurance and sure enough a day or two later the symptoms had gone.

Stupidly I relapsed around October November time and started increasing the doses. I was taking anywhere between 120mg-210mg of either Codeine Phosphate or Dihydrocodeine every day up to 3 times a day. Some days I?d have 50-100mg tramadol or some diazepam to potentiate it.

This time I?m quitting for good and I took my last dose on Sunday 21st 10 days ago now, and have been cold turkey since. The only problem is that I am STILL getting the restless leg syndrome and it is killing me. I slept 4 hours last night. No sleeping aids or anything like diazepam help because they make me even more like a zombie but do not help the RLS. I am not turning back now but surely after that long it should be gone? Is that normal for it still to be like that?

I do have a small stock of Lyrica 75mgs and took these one night and slept perfectly. My only worry is that taking these will stop my body producing its own dopamine, melatonin, serotonin etc? Or will it just aid the next say 3 or 4 nights sleep until everything is back to normal? I just don?t want to replace one for another.

Sorry for rambling on and I hope somebody can help or reassure me. I?m losing my mind.

Many thanks

I know what youre going through mate and sorry to hear it. Try gabapentin, it helped the restless leg for me :) taking lyrica to help shouldnt do that unless you overdo it long term. exercise is a good natural thing to try as well, its very good for when you come off opioids

Thank you for the reply. Does 10 days sound a long time? And will it ever end?

Yes, OP, it will end. For me, not only did xanax help my rls, it completely eradicated them. Im surprised diazepam didnt help. You could also try a long walk and a hot bath.

Thank you. I remember feeling this way last time and the next this I knew, I just got to sleep one night like normal. It?s the not knowing that I hate. Diazepam made me sleepier but RLS would not let me nod off so in effect made it worse. I?ll try a walk now. I?ve been having Epsom salt baths every night. I swear the second I lay in that bath it is heaven I wanna sleep in it. Got magnesium tabs too and bananas for the potassium

I?m just worried that Lyrica or Xanax will just mask it and when I stop with them after 3 or 4 days it will be straight back?

Dopamine agonists such as pramipexole will also help RLS and I guess those are first line treatment for RLS atleast here and you can get clonazepam, Lyrica or Tramadol only after you have been on dopamine agonist and it doesn?t help.

Pramipexole is quite well tolerated and it?s side effects such as drowsiness will actually won?t be side effect since you want to sleep when you take one for RLS. It also has no recreational value whatsoever but I wouldn?t take one while taking MDMA since it affects dopamine uptake and pramipexole is dopamine agonist. Not sure what exactly would happen but I am not going to try it.

It might also make you compulsive gambler or sex fiend but hey aren?t those just something to fill the void the opiates left. Seriously those are serious side effects but mostly happen on higher doses not needed for RLS treatment.

There is primary and secondary RLS and people suffering from opiate WDs have secondary RLS meaning it will fade away after WD passes but there is also a change that opiate WDs may trigger primary RLS for people who are prone for it. It happened for me as I have had slight symptoms before but it became full blown RLS after withdrawing from opiates the first time.

I have been on something (opioids, Lyrica, Neurontin, benzos, pramipexole) that prevents RLS since then and currently I have been suffering from a serious RLS which even makes your arms twitch during nights and I have only been taking pramipexole and am tempting to take Lyrica or clonazepam which would ruin my urine tests I had to take weekly if I want to keep my driver?s license.

I have found out that Xanax helps RLS the most and second best is flunitrazepam and midazolam comes third but these are a big no no for long term use.

Lyrica comes after those and so does Neurontin but you can?t take magnesium at the same time since it prevents absorbtion of Neurontin.

Pramipexole is the least effective but it is still quite effective for mild to medium RLS as I can mostly sleep with it unless opiate WDs are exaggerating my RLS symptoms which is currently the case as I have been without opiates for 11 days at the moment.

Clonazepam should help much better than xanax or diazepam, lasts much longer and is more powerful :) but a benzo dependence is worse than opioids so be careful with overusing them!

RLS will definitely get better if you keep at it, withdrawals are ruthless so give it a chance

Forget to mention clonazepam but it is in the top tier imo when treating RLS but I prefer something with a faster onset if I have such bad RLS that pramipexole fails to treat it and I have to take a benzo for it.

Sadly no benzos or anything else besides pramipexole for me currently as my primary doc got switched into another who won?t prescribe anything that has recreational value for me because of my background of drug abuse and I don?t want to ruin my UAs.

Your story reminds me a lot of my chipping on off and then continiously opiate use. I know what you are talking about.

I know how bad RLS can be.. it's the worst withdrawal symptome IMO.
If you can't get your hands on benzos you can try Mucuna Pruriens to diminish the RLS. Benzos can be very evil once you start to like them.

My favorite mix that helps me with RLS is:
- 1500mg tryptophan
- Passion flower
- Valerian root
- 5g Mucuna
- Magnesium capsules that also contain B1 B6 and B12

And believe it or not... when it gets really bad i take 500mg of acetylsalicylic acid and it takes the edge off for some reason...

The core substances are tryptophan and mucuna.

For overall withdrawal reduction I found high doses of vitamin c helpful. I used to mix it in water bottles and drank it from morning to afternoon. 2000 - 3000 mg

It won't eleminate the WD symptoms but it helped me. Everyone is different but you can give it a try.

And yes.. rls gets better soon. I am sober on day 13 now and it's almost completely gone. (I still take tryptophan before i got to bed 500-1000mg)