• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine Contin - Pros and Cons

if6was9

Greenlighter
There’s a slightly new PK released in Canada, (as far as I know), called “Codeine Contin”
They come in 50s, 100s and 200mg coated tablets…
I have been on all strengths and quickly graduated to 3x200mg daily within 6 months for mild to moderate shoulder pain/old injury, (manufacture’s recommended daily max is 2x200mg), although they are designed for 12 hours, it should be 6 peak.
As a reference, I have normal tolerance and has been treated with Oxycodone, Morphine Sulphate/ER, Hydrocodone, on and off…
The 50s and 100s are defiantly ineffective in comparison to 200mg, (compound issue, I believe), and the 200s are somewhat equivalent to a 40mg Oxy or a 60mg Morphine ER, (capsule), without heightened nods, itches but do block you up so keep the bran flakes on the grocery list.
The 200’s are completely different in design, visually and medicinally and have no fillers like acetaminophen, ibuprofen and so naturally there’s no extracting but if chewed, tastes like a $10….well, you know.
Being somewhat new to the Opiate scene, (CC not me), it would be nice if people could thread accurate info, comparison, ideology and or likes/dislikes, in comparison with other PKs, natural/synthetic.
My Personal Opinion: The 200mg stands out alone in the CC family and caution should be used, after 3 months at 3x200mg daily now, I would be vertical for around 12 hours if he took 3 unbroken tablets, so please do the math if you come across CC.
I believe they are the new choice of doctors for chronic pain due to abuse properties, decent ability to maintain motor skills, equilibrium and brought on depression due to opiate over use.
I’m happy to see a cleaner med be prescribed that has an old school active ingredient instead of a PK that’s primarily designed to lead you down the road to hell.
That’s all I am able to relate at this point but look forward to more 411 on CC…
Stay Safe

Attachments

• CodeineContin200mg.jpg
    CodeineContin200mg.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,608
Last edited by a moderator:
I’m happy to see a cleaner med be prescribed that has an old school active ingredient instead of a PK that’s primarily designed to lead you down the road to hell.

These are certainly not new, but also not very common. I agree with your statements on this. I have always tried to stick with the "weaker" opiates/opioids because of the level of addiction you can reach with some of the stronger ones. As a long time user, I have found that the stronger the narcotic analgesic, the harder you fiend for it, and the less able you are to do things you enjoy while on them. It took me years to get to the point where codeine no longer would do it for me, but that is primarily because I choose hydrocodone over any other opiate, including oxycodone. I have always been frustrated by the fact that in the United States, for whatever reason, only wants to make the heavy narcotics into formulations with nothing added. They have turned everything from, oxycodone, hydromorphone, morphine, and now of course oxymorphone into controlled release medications with no apap or aspirin or ibuprofen, and hardly any fillers compared to hydrocodone and codeine with apap tablets. Partially they don't want to put larger doses of hydrocodone into a pill because it is so widely abused, and because it does not have the same pain killing potential as its stronger counterparts. However, based on my experience, taking 60 mg of hydocodone a day has less side effects and addiction potential of taking even 30 mg of oxycodone. So why make the only preparations of these weaker opiates in forms that are damaging to our bodies? They want us to be addicted, they want us to be on harder drugs. Otherwise, like in many foreign countries, they would make drugs such as codeine contin, and also preparations such as hydrocodone and dihydrocodeine without anything added. I have seen 10mg hydrocodone tablets overseas with no apap, but to the average user taking these pills, who dont want to take something stronger, why not give us the option to have the same drug? Its the people who resort to abusing the pills by snorting and shooting them that are the reason for our country being so cautious. I could go on and on with this, but I honestly believe that we should follow suit because codeine contin is a solid painkiller that has much less addiction potential and health risk and will not lead you down the same path as quickly as these other narcotic analgesics.

These are certainly not new, but also not very common. I agree with your statements on this. I have always tried to stick with the "weaker" opiates/opioids because of the level of addiction you can reach with some of the stronger ones. As a long time user, I have found that the stronger the narcotic analgesic, the harder you fiend for it, and the less able you are to do things you enjoy while on them. It took me years to get to the point where codeine no longer would do it for me, but that is primarily because I choose hydrocodone over any other opiate, including oxycodone. I have always been frustrated by the fact that in the United States, for whatever reason, only wants to make the heavy narcotics into formulations with nothing added. They have turned everything from, oxycodone, hydromorphone, morphine, and now of course oxymorphone into controlled release medications with no apap or aspirin or ibuprofen, and hardly any fillers compared to hydrocodone and codeine with apap tablets. Partially they don't want to put larger doses of hydrocodone into a pill because it is so widely abused, and because it does not have the same pain killing potential as its stronger counterparts. However, based on my experience, taking 60 mg of hydocodone a day has less side effects and addiction potential of taking even 30 mg of oxycodone. So why make the only preparations of these weaker opiates in forms that are damaging to our bodies? They want us to be addicted, they want us to be on harder drugs. Otherwise, like in many foreign countries, they would make drugs such as codeine contin, and also preparations such as hydrocodone and dihydrocodeine without anything added. I have seen 10mg hydrocodone tablets overseas with no apap, but to the average user taking these pills, who dont want to take something stronger, why not give us the option to have the same drug? Its the people who resort to abusing the pills by snorting and shooting them that are the reason for our country being so cautious. I could go on and on with this, but I honestly believe that we should follow suit because codeine contin is a solid painkiller that has much less addiction potential and health risk and will not lead you down the same path as quickly as these other narcotic analgesics.

^^^^^

I agree with everything you've stated. I wish we had codeine contin & hydrocontin, it would be awesome. Although I have read somewhere that we should have hydrocontin within the next 2 years here in the USA.

Hydrocodone is not commercially available by itself, however, it can be compounded by itself at a compounding pharmacy (like the one where I work, and do so regularly), however it becomes a schedule II controlled substance without the APAP.

I enjoy codeine recreationally and for hangovers, but personally the itchiness and constipation with multi session use make it infeasible for legitimate pain lasting more than a day or so. The side effects profile is worse for more people than a lot of cleaner opiates as well. Furthermore there are super metabolizers who the drug is twice as potent for which makes it harder to prescribe to people who haven't had it before.

I think codeine should be completely replaced with DHC which I (along with others) tolerate much better and isn't a prodrug so no worry about liver enzymes. A preparation without other actives would as you said make it a less abusable option for pain up to a certain level as well.

Have edited the OP to get rid of all the SWIMs, is not used on bluelight.

There's also 150mg pills. I was given a dozen of these. Too bad they are useless for me right now (suboxone). The collection of various pharms I'm accumulating since on suboxone...crazy, heh. I've had the 200mg ones in the past before I made the error of going on ORT. Crushing them works fine to turn them into IR and a couple 200mg was bringing me exactly where I wanted to be, with the safety of knowing it is only codeine, a big dose, but still just codeine. They're very good considering we don't have Vicodins, Lortabs, Norcos etc. (Hycodans are very rarely known by doctors to come in format other than syrup, and no provincial gov insurance pays for Hycodan anyway). Before CC's existed, the medication we had (and still have) that was about the equivalent in how not too difficult it was to obtain is Empracets (30mg or 60mg codeine/300 apap) or pure codeine pills (very rare, like Hycodans, gov insurance do not pay for them so rarely scripted, only time I was scripted pure codeine pills was because the ER doc knew I was already taking tylenol every 4-5 hours for fever).

7voR0cw.jpg

I enjoy codeine recreationally and for hangovers, but personally the itchiness and constipation with multi session use make it infeasible for legitimate pain lasting more than a day or so. The side effects profile is worse for more people than a lot of cleaner opiates as well. Furthermore there are super metabolizers who the drug is twice as potent for which makes it harder to prescribe to people who haven't had it before.

I think codeine should be completely replaced with DHC which I (along with others) tolerate much better and isn't a prodrug so no worry about liver enzymes. A preparation without other actives would as you said make it a less abusable option for pain up to a certain level as well.

England's most common stronger than IR codeine pills/IR DHC pills is DHC Continus, they go up to 120mg, and just like CodeineContins, can be crushed into IR if you're into that.

Hydromorph-Contin 9/12/18/24/30mg XR capsules are currently the gold standard….and Dilaudid 2/4/8mg IR tablets for BTP

Hydromorphone has greatly replaced OxyContin in Canada after original formula removed from market for OP tablets , although Oxycodone is still widely used and available. Oxy-IR 5/10/20mg tablets are amazing

CC 200mg scored tablets would be nice….but Oxy-IR & Dilaudid reign supreme

Methadone (Metadol 25mg tablets) x 3-4 daily is my current regiment ….in Canada are a great month script, instead of some sketchy trashy MMT clinic were u piss in a cup and attend weekly to get your pathetic 6 take home carries

I pick up a 100 tablet sealed bottle of Metadol 25mg tablets every 25 days or so ($250 out of pocket) but insurance I only pay $35. Vyvanse is also $200+ …..meds are MUCHO DENIERO