• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Coca (And Opium) not a drug?

^

the answer to that would be the term used to describe plants that contain drugs NOT illegal such as caffeine, ephedrine, etc.

I dunno wut the term is, but im sure, somewhere out there-there is an 'official' term.

Just because a drugs illegal, why should that plant be classified any differently when it is, essentially, the same 'class' as your guarana or mu huang or all that other shit??

I beleive thats how mr morales sees Coca

It's very complicated, everyone has its own definition of what a "drug" is...

From some dictionnary:

drug
noun
1. Any chemical substance which, when taken into the body or applied externally, has a specific effect on its functioning.
Thesaurus: medicine, medication, remedy.
2. Any such substance, especially one which is abused, habitual or addictive, and possession of which is illegal.
3. Anything craved for.

According to these definitions, every plant containing a psychoactive substance is drug...
But some people don't call them "drugs"...

I think that everyone agree that there is a kind of psychoactive plants that cannot be called "drugs": it's the psychoactive plants that are used for spiritual or religious purposes. They are called entheogens.
But I don't think that Coca leafs (or Opium poppies) can be called "entheogens"...

The medical definition of a drug is any substance taken in order to illicit a given effect.

i thought it was any substance that has any effect on the mind? idk..

its an interesting question though. i dont consider coca to be a drug, but i do consider cocaine to be one. but with pot, the plant itself is a drug. you never hear anyone say "yo man, lets go smoke some THC"..

By that 3rd dictionary definition, water is a drug. I believe thirst would be considered a 'craving' for water. Plenty of people crave certain foods too, are they drugs?

I dunno, I guess it's all subjective as to what is and what isn't a drug.

The way I've always looked at it is, anything that is psychoactive, ie: has effects on neurotransmitters or the ability to alter the mind in anyway, is a drug.
Eg: Nicotine, Alcohol, THC, Melatonin, Kava, Cocaine (or coca), Caffeine, Pseudoephedrine, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Though, there are different contexts surrounding the meaning of what a drug would be.

"Johny has been on drugs <drinking coffee>"
"Ohh my God, no! Who would've thought Johnny would ever get into 'drugs'"
"Not those sort of drugs you dimwit!"