• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Clonazepam (expiration and safety)...

twistedidea2023

Greenlighter
Hi.

When my OCD/anxiety was at extreme levels in the past, I was given 100 Clonazepam tablets at 0.5mg. As it turns out, I managed to overcome my anxiety without the need to take them (long story). I had them stored in the bottom drawer in my bedroom for a year or two and for the past couple of years they've been stored in my safe. The box has never been opened and they're sealed. They were prescribed in 2018 and the expiry date on the box is 2020.

Will they likely still be safe/effective for many years to come? I do not intend to take them unless absolutely necessary and I would never take more than a couple a week. My anxiety is much more manageable now, so I might not have to use them, but I do like the thought of having them there if my anxiety ever returns to the extreme levels it was at in the past. I would always use them sensibly.

I've taken Diazepam (up to 10mg) and Xanax (0.25mg) in the past with no issues (I only took them occasionally). How does Clonazepam compare? I found that Diazepam and Xanax at these doses reduced my anxiety from extreme to manageable levels, but the effects of the latter didn't last for very long.

My current doctor (who will likely retire in the next year or two) will happily give me Diazepam occasionally because he knows I use them infrequently/sensibly. I'm concerned that younger doctors will never give me benzodiazepines ever again, so I'd feel happy if I knew that the Clonazepam I've got stored in my safe will last for years.

I occasionally suffer from insomnia/sleep problems. I've read that Clonazepam is useful for this. Perhaps I could try it occasionally? I'm very aware that long term use can be dangerous. I'm very careful with drugs - I don't use them unless I absolutely need to.

I live in the UK and we don't usually experience extreme temperatures, so I assume that the tablets in the box/sealed and stored in the safe will be fine? I'm certainly no expert on benzos so this is why I'm asking for advice from people who know a lot more than me on this subject.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

All the best.

If they are still sealed, they are very likely fine. If exposed to air, their might be a slight loss in potency.

I've heard of people finding any number of different 30+ year old medicines and every single time they were fine. One was over 50 years old (Quaaludes) and again, fine.

Hi.

Thanks for replying.

Do you know if Clonazepam is as effective as Diazepam for severe anxiety/panic? Do you think it could be useful for insomnia and occasional restless legs? I've read that it takes longer to kick in but lasts longer than Diazepam. I always found that Diazepam kicked in within 20-30 minutes and lasted circa 3 hours. The most I ever took was 10mg. I took Xanax at 0.25 and it seemed to be more potent than Diazepam but didn't last as long.

Thanks.

All the best.

They'll be fine if still sealed in the blister-pack and not exposed to air. Even if they HAD expired, expired medications are still safe to take, they just become less effective.

My sister was given a nasal spray by a friend at work that was 4 years past its expiry date and it gave her a bad headache. I'm not sure if it had been used before. Is there a difference between sprays and tablets, or will sprays/inhalers and the like also retain their effectiveness and safety over a long period of time? Would you use artificial tears that are years past their expiration date if they'd not been opened before?

Thanks.