***Civil Rights/MLK 2000***

liquidocean

Bluelighter
Just wanted to bring recognition to the man that inspired millions of kind people around the world with a powerful dream, that we could come together from different backgrounds, points-of-view, races, economic conditions, music genres, to come together as basic human beings to feel the basic emotions of love, respect, and basic decency.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. oozed plur. His ideas were REVOLUTIONARY. In a black and white society marked by segregation, police dogs, and fire hoses, Dr. King had to believe that positive energy could overcome the shadows of darkness without resorting to the tools of violence and destruction. Try finding that in our militia/gang-muddled society of today. Try finding the collective strength of a mobilized generation hungry to bring justice to their front doorsteps, to take time out of their schedules to make the world a better place. Try finding people that are willing to be hurt, arrested, in the line of fire for what they believe: that all humans should have equal rights.
I'm no expert on MLK, i just thought he should be up on the list. And that we should pay our respects to this great man.
--------
What do you think of his words, live, actions?
What do you think the direction of the movement is in this day and age, especially revolving chemicals and music?
What do you think about equality and race relations in your scene? How have they changed/how do you want them to change?
What do you believe in with similar conviction?
Love,
--L/O--

You're talking about a true plur-idian L/O, I'm not sure if the candy kids can relate to that kind of thinking.
"non-violent civil disobedience"
------------------
You can be John Malkovich too. Password is john.

I just really don't like how the news media paints this day. Here's ways they portray it:
Blacks strive for economic opportunity
the History of MLK as a holiday
references to his death
black vs. white. vs hispanic vs asian
another day off to Chill
It's not about any of these, not even the race issue. It was not about advancing races to make them equal with other races, it was about the Civil Rights Movement.
Is it alive today? Hell ya. No need to even look beyond your scene, hopefully. Yes, the economics of the time have changed, but we are stiving for it. Our cultural landscape is changing, and we are constantly breaking out of locked ways of looking at the world that have been set from our raising. Which is where its key.
Without an agenda, our scenes have been pumping out people who voluntarily realize everyone's intrinsic importance, who are sensitive to other's needs, who communicate well, who realize love is the common denominator, who celebrate diversity, and most importantly, who have a real-world recognition of the challenges and struggles that we all go through.
Will we have a significant impact? I don't know, time will tell. In terms of direct political action, i.e. Chicago '68, i doubt it. Most of it will be internal and covert, either through disregard of the law, media/meme action, underground action, or long-term Dionysian cultural shifts. Our culture enjoys its hedonistic pleasures and conveniences too much to get dirty and wet in the hard world, but nothing lasting happens overnight.
Looking forward to the future, remembering the past.

I do know this, MLK jr. brings tears to my eyes every time I hear him making the 'DREAM' speach. Tears of admiration, and frustration. I have utmost respect 4 neone as passionate as MLK jr. He really wanted it to be how he so elequently put it in his 'DREAM' speech. If only MLK jr. and MALCOLM X were alive 2day. I feel these two men had the vision that we need today. We are so close, yet we are still light years away from accomplishing their dreams.
I can say that, thanks to my parents, I am not a racist. I was brought up in a home where racism had no place. But, ironically, both sides of my extended family are extremely racist. They all grew up in much different times tho, and I can see where animosity comes in. But, to never let those feelings go, is a mystery to me.
But, our time is coming. Soon we will be the ones calling the shots, we are already making a difference w/ the rave scene. Authoritys and a lot of narrow-minded people seem to think what we are doing is evil. They dont/wont see it from our perspective. A lot of people choose to only look at the world thru their eyes and that, to me, is very selfish. If only everybody, in any hurtful situation, would put themselves in the shoes of the one getting hurt then maybe they could feel the pain, and frustration that a lot of people experience in where their group is alienated and belittled. I think the vision has been lost 4ever in the light speed shuffle of modern times.
We need a new VISIONARY to raise up from the ashes of MLK jr. and MALCOLM X. Jesse Jackson aint cuttin it, as far as I am concerned. There is too much bullshit goin on here in America. Too many special interest groups, too many people with big political agendas, too many people, period! I dunno, is there a solution? Is there a way to exonerate ourselves from the bullshit we are exposed to known as racism? We all know it happens everyday. Passed from generation to generation, like a bad virus, never to leave our minds. We have thrown away the key that would unlock the prison doors that hold the idea of racism captive. We must release all of our minds, even if for just a second, to cleanse our minds of vileness such as racism.
Whoa....Whoa....WHOOOOOOAAAA SILVER!!!! I have rambled way too long. There is sooo much to say about this topic that it would take three years to cover it all. These are just some of my jumbled thoughts on where we stand as a nation in our fight for an equal platform for All.
later
plur
steve