• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Chia seeds false positive

My3sons

Bluelighter
Not a question just a warning DO NOT eat anything that contains chia seeds if you get urines. I ate sea salted chia granola bars and got a positive for codeine. I know I did not take codeine. Be very very cautious with what you eat. My urine passed at the methadone clinic as clean and failed the lab for codeine. Upon research I found that chia seeds are prohibited in the military for this reason. However, the clinic doesn't believe me. I will go for a hair test. I feel I cannot just ignore it. Someone could lose their children or end up in jail over a false positive like this. It's a rather new trend and people need to be aware like the poppy seed. Be very careful with what you eat. What a joke as if I would take such minuscule amounts of codeine that it doesnt ' even register on a dipstick while on methadone. I knew I was getting tested and due for a phase increase. It just makes me so mad. I wouldnt risk losing my kids for codeine! Moral of the story WATCH WHAT YOU EAT

Although this is interesting and it's good to have the info, I'm going to have to close this thread because it is technically a discussion of the BLUA. I'm sorry to hear about what you're dealing with right now My3sons - sounds beyond infuriating.

----------------EDIT----------------

After some discussion among staff we've decided to leave this thread open.

Please be advised that we have a no discussion policy regarding drug testing ("drug testing" as in testing a biological sample for the presence of drugs or their metabolites), so avoid discussing specifics regarding the length of times something might be positive if given a UA. Otherwise though, as the OP presents useful info, have at it.

As long as this thread doesn't get to into drug testing it'll stay open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you pay for a hair test find a scientific article backing up your claims and take it to the clinic. Also logically why would you take codeine when your on methadone? You wouldn't feel anything at all from it. I wouldn't waste the money on a retest but it depends how it's going to effect your take homes and stuff.

Something I just thought of. Do the seeds contain codeine or something that metabolize into codeine? If it does a hair test won't help because it will still show the presence of codeine. If I was you I would find that out then see if the lab dI'd a gc/ms type test. If they did and they found codeine then it's not technically a false positive as you consumed a small amount of codeine on accident. If that's the case I would drop the matter as your never going to get anywhere.

Last edited: