• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Charges dropped against couple in controversial arrest at North Carolina bus stop

Burnt Offerings

Moderator: Drug Culture & CEP
Staff member
Charges have been dropped against a couple following their controversial arrests at a bus stop by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police that went viral online.

According to court records, charges filed against Christina Pierre were dropped and the hearing she had scheduled for Dec. 12 was canceled. She had previously been charged with assault on a government official, resisting a public officer, and simple possession of marijuana.

CMPD said Pierre and Lee had been smoking marijuana in public, and that’s when officers approached the couple and the situation escalated from there.

A video posted online showing a CMPD officer hitting Pierre in the thigh multiple times while trying to arrest her went viral. CMPD said the strikes to the thigh were an approved tactic used by police to get a suspect to comply. A team of police investigators for CMPD was compiling all the facts earlier this month to understand what happened.

CMPD takes a closer look at policies after viral arrest video

Newton says her client would like the public to see the body camera footage showing more than just this viral video. She says it would show her client explaining to the officer that she had a THCA cigarette, which is legal. Not marijuana, as officers alleged.

They now intend to file an excessive force lawsuit against CMPD, the City of Charlotte and officers.

I don’t know, I just assumed that the story was taken from some local news affiliate and republished on MSN. I heard about it originally on NPR while my car radio was in scan mode, the mention of THCA caught my ear