• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Changes in thought processes after starting psychedelics?

Ray K. Hessel

Bluelighter
Have any of you noticed changes in your thoughts after varied psychedelic use?

For example:

• Was there a change in your ability to do mathematical work or some sort of quantative analysis afterwords?
  • Did your overall emotional state chage from depressed to happy or vice versa?
  • Did your use of language change? Written, or spoken?
  • Lastly, has anyone noticed anything sort of "braindamaged" afterwords? (Such as a sloweness or viscosity of thought)
Please try not to let your hippie sensibilites color a romanticized answer to this question, try and be objective, please!!

I'm NOT talking about the tracers you still see or how hung over you were.8o

Last edited:
Please give us your personal answers to your questions. If you have no experence with psychelic use then let us know.

a friend has answers
no
no
no
no

also, is this part of a research paper you are writing?

I can speak on behalf of friends, that have experimented with acid and shrooms. They didn't really invest much into any of their trips, one would take shrooms during school and just be like "oh, I tripped balls". Nobody I know that does psychedelics ever talks about any profound changes or anything.

* Was there a change in your ability to do mathematical work or some sort of quantative analysis afterwords?
* Did your overall emotional state chage from depressed to happy or vice versa?
* Did your use of language change? Written, or spoken?
* Lastly, has anyone noticed anything sort of "braindamaged" afterwords? (Such as a sloweness or viscosity of thought)

1. I am still capable of doing all the mathematical tasks I get, but it's less important to me. I'm still interested in math, but it just doesn't seem "vital" anymore, there's more than just math you know :).

2. I don't think happy or depressed are the right terms in my case. I do think I have emotionally changed. I am more acceptable, I feel more in peace.

3. Not that I know of.

4. Nope.

1. as usual i am the mathematical equivalent of a dyslexic, that neva changed
2. i went thru a period of being very anxious afta abusing LSD, and this did affect how happy i felt (pretty unhappy!), thankfully this has waned off wiv counselling, therapy and meds
3. pot changed my language for definite but the more potent psychedelics havnt
4. i certainly hope not!

Now you mention it, I have had mathematical differences since doing psychs

not as in mathematics taught in schools or colleges or arithmetic, more like an intuitive awareness of the mathematical side of nature, such as pine cones, reptile skin, any geometric natural thing really, also music has a mathematical difference, but i started becoming aware of that when i toked.

Emotionally psychs seemed to steer me more towards inward meditative states rather than recreational states.

I am still a bit of a chatter box at times, verbally, but nowhere near as much as I was and I feel an improvement in my relationships with people and am aware that there is much more room for improvement.

I like the fact that psychs (and E if used with care) can, psychologically/cognitively/creatively make permanent improvements.

After doing the strongest strain of skunk i have ever done/seen before, i noticed i was jumbling up words in my sentences, this was only for the rest of the day though.

As for real psychedelics, i've never had a "real" trip, only what i would call a threshold or light trip, in which i can answer no to all your questions above.

* Was there a change in your ability to do mathematical work or some sort of quantative analysis afterwords?
Yes, lack of concentration from daily cannabis use can be problematic for analytical work/learning.

Yes, I tend to have sudden emotional changes, it seems that either my emotions have become more versatile or I'm just more aware of any changes in my emotion, paying more attention to things that used to be unconscious before taking psychs.

Yes, I tend to have some slight dislexia (spoken) sometimes which I didn't have before using psychedelic, but it's rarely happening, mainly when I'm intimidated or stressed and speaking to someone.

* Lastly, has anyone noticed anything sort of "braindamaged" afterwords? (Such as a sloweness or viscosity of thought)
No, but paranoia/obsessions became more present in my everyday mood. And as I said some part of my unconscious mind turned to conscious (thoughts or feelings consciously expressing my unconscious mind) which can be really nasty at times. Which ended up into a psychotic break because I was using too much drugs and too often, so I was taken to psy-hospital (very bad experience, never ever get there!)... and zyprexa treatment for a few month after this.
But I don't think there's any real "physical damage" in my brain...but who really knows?

- > Not so much math.. But it seems I have an easier time solving problems. < - I guess this could help with some math problems.

- > Yes.. It changed in two ways. From depressed to happy. And from feelings of regret to feelings of acceptance.

- > Changed both. I used to talk in a hip-hop way if that makes sense. Now I've strayed away from that type of culture.

- > Somewhat. Short term memory is a little out of it. For example; at work if I run to the back to get something I might forget what it was I was going to get. Other situations just simply relate.

1. Was there a change in your ability to do mathematical work or some sort of quantative analysis afterwords?

I don't think so. I am probably a little worse at mathematics than I was before I started using psychedelics but that is because I have not been practicing. I started using psychedelics right after studying an algebra book and have had no practice since then. That was over 4 years ago.

2. Did your overall emotional state chage from depressed to happy or vice versa?

Yes. My depression improved and I became much less angry. Before my first trip I was severely depressed and suicidal and had been for several years. I was always very mean to other people for no reason.

After just one trip things improved. My depression went away for a couple of weeks and never again got as bad as it was before the trip, although I am still depressed. I stopped treating people like shit all the time.

My depression seems to be getting worse now so the improvement may not last much longer.

3. Did your use of language change? Written, or spoken?

Not that I have noticed.

4. Lastly, has anyone noticed anything sort of "braindamaged" afterwords? (Such as a sloweness or viscosity of thought)

I don't think so. My thinking does seem slow at times but no more than before I started using psychedelics, maybe even less than before. My short term memory may have gotten worse after abusing dramamine for a couple of months but that is not a psychedelic.

There has been some vision change, with my eyes closed there are weak psychedelic visuals. I see some patterning on things and quite a bit of static. This does not bother me or have any negative effects on my life.

I have felt like I was starting to go insane a couple of times after overusing psychedelics but that was temporary and went away after taking a break. First time using HBWR 1-2 times a week for 2 or 3 months, second time frequent 5-meo-amt use for a few months.

No, no, no and no. I know one guy who turned into a fucking idiot after taking shrooms all the time, and I know one guy who felt his perspective on life was changed after LSD.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for taking this seriously. :) I feel its a difficult question, and I was really stoned when I asked it so I didn't type out my reply, and I didn't want to color anyone's answers or start a debate.

Personally I haven't noticed many changes. However, I do believe I notice more the ways I go about the things I listed. I have a greater understanding of how I learn math, when before I had no idea. I see more how I use language, wheras before I just used it blindly. Also, I can tell what makes me happy and depressed in my life when before I wasn't willing to recognize it.

As a counterpoint, all these changes were gradual and psychedelic intake occoured over the past five years of my life, from 15-20, traditionally thought to be a time of 'development' and 'maturation'. Could natural processes be the root of the changes I've noticed? Can I notice changes at all? or are they just introspective disturbances caused by frequent, high dose cannabis consumption, a reality my body has dwelt with for the past 8 years?

The answer is Fuck It
coupled with the realization that little compares to an adventerous 2c-e trip at 15mg, besides possibly a future creation based on Salvia's ability to change what you intuitively accept as reality/
and of course the realistic persuits of life, etc

Was there a change in your ability to do mathematical work or some sort of quantative analysis afterwords?
Did your overall emotional state chage from depressed to happy or vice versa?
Did your use of language change? Written, or spoken?
Lastly, has anyone noticed anything sort of "braindamaged" afterwords? (Such as a sloweness or viscosity of thought)

1. My ability to grasp more radical and intangible concepts has increased through my use. I can think outside of the box far better than before as such my mathematical skills have improved.
2.On the whole ive become a happier more relaxed more fulfilled person. I see that life has purpose and I always know that I am here for a reason.
3. My grasp of foreign concepts has changed so my use of secondary languages has improved.
4. no braindamage from psychs (more so from x than anything ive been off of it for 9 months and the change in thought patterns emotions and everyday functions has dramatically improved since I stopped using). Other than that psychs have only improved me really. I love life more and I appreciate everything I have far more than I used to.

1. No decrease in capacity to do quantitative work. Still get A's on all me math tests.
2. I feel Ive become more at peace. I am more acceptant. I view the world many different ways, and accept them all.
3. I feel my ability to write, which I love to do creatively, has become a lot better. More interesting and complex language I now use.
4. Sometimes I feel like I cant remember vocabulary that Id like to use. But I doubt this is from any drug use, just regular old not being able to think of a word. So I feel no brain damage.

Id also say in general my capacity for complex mental processes has increased, a better ability to analyze, draw connections, etc has been increased through psychedelics.

Was there a change in your ability to do mathematical work or some sort of quantative analysis afterwords?

no xcept lack of desire to perform tasks that require lots of brainpower

Did your overall emotional state chage from depressed to happy or vice versa?

yes. higher self esteem/ego magnification

Did your use of language change? Written, or spoken?

some minor word finding difficulties up to 1 week afterwards

Lastly, has anyone noticed anything sort of "braindamaged" afterwords? (Such as a sloweness or viscosity of thought)

yes but only after mdma/lsd combo

Ray K. Hessel said:
Please try not to let your hippie sensibilites color a romanticized answer to this question, try and be objective, please!!

how can you be objective about something so completely subjective? you calling it "brain damage" is just your subjective viewpoint. now if u went and took a brainscan and it showed that your logical and mathematical brain functions were damaged, that would be objective. noticing things about your own mind is subjective.

my use of language, written and spoken, has def. changed. i find it much harder to go about daily communication such as basic interpersonal reflexes. basically, the personality constructs taht mediated my language are no longer as active so when i speak in casual social situations, i find it harder to decide what is right to say. but, in the past, i would speak without thinking and say the wrong things (hurtful things) without noticing it. often i will end up relating a simple conversation to something very philosophically deep, which can probly get annoying. but when the topic changes to something philosophic or personally revealing, i can come up with endless combinations of words and relations that come off as quite intelligent.

mathematically, my brain is still if not more fully functional and capable of doing math. but the difference is, its less important. for example if you asked me to multiply 64 by 16 in my head, i probly wouldn't bother trying. but if you gave me a story problem (susie has 8 apples...), i could figure it out pretty quick. when i was younger, i would only be concerned about the numerical answer which represented a good grade in school. now, i strive to understand the mathematical concepts that lead one to such a conclusion. since taking psychedelcs, i am not satisfied running through logical steps and equations, but must have a grasp on the concepts - the reasons why it works.

i find my brain conceptually relates ideas and thoughts faster and more spontaneously. it does become overwhelming though. when it comes to solving a problem, my creative (right hem.) brain now feeds me a plethora of answers and solutions that all make sense, but so many that the logical (left hem.) brain has trouble picking and choosing.

but usually this just makes me laugh

basically i think its all in how you look at it.

1. Was there a change in your ability to do mathematical work or some sort of quantative analysis afterwords?

yes. after years of differential equations and several postgraduate degress (also, over 20 years of psychedelics experimentation), i am now perpetually contemplating on how to get from 1 to any other number. and what's up with zero, FFS? i've also been really digging the math behind QM lately and 4-D quantum holographic biocomputer emitters.

2. Did your overall emotional state chage from depressed to happy or vice versa?

yes. i used to be an atheist bipolar, now i am a perpetual mani(a)c in search of a really big gun, so i can kill Buddha on the roadside when i meet him and go straight to Nirvana.

indubitably, the capacity for mangling linguistic and lexiconal constructs has mutated to a level enabling thoroughly fluent communication in several languages, from which ability, at one point, a fairly high grade living was earned doing presidential-level simultaneous and consecutive interpretation.

yes, but only after combining and ingesting a page-long list of exotic phenethylamine and tryptamine derivatives with selegeline. temporary loss of about 50 IQ points.

Ray K. Hessel said:
Have any of you noticed changes in your thoughts after varied psychedelic use?

For example:

• Was there a change in your ability to do mathematical work or some sort of quantative analysis afterwords?
  • Did your overall emotional state chage from depressed to happy or vice versa?
  • Did your use of language change? Written, or spoken?
  • Lastly, has anyone noticed anything sort of "braindamaged" afterwords? (Such as a sloweness or viscosity of thought)

1. I have not noticed a change in my ability to do mathematical work, because I stopped studying maths before I began taking psychedelics. Psychedelics have, however, improved my ability to grasp difficult concepts (often in the realm of quantum physics - such as 'linear infinites' and 'realised infinites') and apply them to my understanding of reality.

2. I find that after using any drug my emotional state see-saws to an extent. When I smoked pot, I would say that I was depressed most of the time. Profound trips on LSD and shrooms have both positively and negatively affected my emotional states at later dates. Generally, (given all goes well) in the immediate period after a psychedelic experience (<3 days) my emotional state is very positive.

3. The only way my use of language has changed is that I now find myself articulating concepts and ideas that are difficult to communicate via language.

4. Generally, my thoughts loop a bit more and it is easier to let them 'derail' - and I believe this is a result of having done psychedelics. After regularly smoking pot, I was mentally lethargic and forgetful - but that state eventually disappeared after I stopped smoking.

"]Please try not to let your hippie sensibilites color a romanticized answer to this question, try and be objective, please!![/SIZE]

I'm sorry, but how the fuck are people able to OBJECTIVELY describe an entirely SUBJECTIVE experience that has happened INSIDE their head? If you do not understand that the use of psychedelics is/has played an intrinsic role in the development of many people's 'hippie sensibilities'... maybe you don't understand exactly what it is you are asking people with these questions...

Respect and Peace

Kind of. I became lazier in figuring stuff out, seeing the triteness of formal math work as unimportant. Conversely, I became more aware of fundamental mathematical patterns in nature, and I feel like I understood them more intuitively and less "formally".

Yes. I'm not necessarily happier or more depressed, but more bipolar. The happies are sweeter, the sads deeper, and I'm more aware of the subtleties in between. I don't necessarily see this as a good thing (at least for me), because I always used to pride myself on being even-keeled. Now I seem much more fragile.

Not that I can tell.

4. Lastly, has anyone noticed anything sort of "braindamaged" afterwords? (Such as a sloweness or viscosity of thought)

No.

my "hippy sensibilites" disclaimer was included because most of the people that I ask this in real life just immediately quip "It opened my mind man, cured my depression, and now I have magic powers in my life"

They say this because they feel they need to be pro-drug hippy style idiots which spout their percieved dogma rather than think and answer the question regardless of weather the answer is comfortable to them or other peeps. (what I see as the true spirit of real hippies)