View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Change psychology with psychodelics

TopSpace

Greenlighter
Is it possible to change core psychology, psychology itself, behavior etc with psychodelic drugs? And how do it if its possible? What practices, methods can use for changing inner system?

Psychedelics not psycho as that would mean mania/delusion inducing compound not mind expanding

I've read MDMA being used in conjunction with EMDR, LSD with yoga. I don't think there have been any official tests into what methods ought to be used. This comes in later phases. But maybe there is some methods from before the banning of LSD idk about that.

A few years ago I read LSD Psychotherapy (Stanislav Grof) which, while dated, was fascinating. It probably won't help you in any practical way mind you.

I'm not sure that it's possible to "change" one's core psychology at all, psychedelics or not. However it does seem possible to nudge yourself gently along the various spectra (ex neurotisism <-> narcissism). Can psychedelics help with providing less gentle nudges?

I imagine psychedelics can be powerful tools in effectuating psychological change, but based on everything I know and have experienced myself (not just with psychedelics, but with meditation, psychotherapy other life experiences), I have a very hard time believing that psychedelics can be effectively used to this effect without some sort of a guide (ex therapist). Attempt it on your own and you may indeed change, but what direction that change takes may not be controllable.

By themselves, I would say that it is more along the lines of changing the filters through which you perceive reality. In my experience this has proven to be generally temporary states of altered consciousness, rather than long term changes in your psychology. Although it must be considered that more subtle, lasting changes do occur in the psyche from any experience, these changes will generally not be immediately, or even noticeably apparent.

I think the changed view on your own behavior and emotions is much more important than how they change our view on reality... my first 2C-E trip helped me a great deal with my body image and how to accept my body and physical appearence. seeing the stars dance and feeling connected to the unsiverse is awesome, but somewhat less productive ;)

didn't say that it was worthless, but still, what you learn about yourself is much more accessible and useful in daily life I think. people who trip too often and go more towards the mysticism route sometimes have problems dealing with society even.

people who trip too often and go more towards the mysticism route sometimes have problems dealing with society even.

I agree completely. Going into the psychedelic experience, you may have an incredibly solid foundation of critical thinking skills and knowledge about the world and you may be enriched by the experiences. That's one possibility. Another possibility is that you have a very flimsy foundation and you get blown around like leaf in the wind: today believing this hallucination, tomorrow believing that one, and finally winding up more confused than when you began. Yet another possibility is that you latch onto a compelling fantasy that takes you out of the world, never to return to reality. I think that's the type of person you're referring to.

My point is that most people need a guide if they hope to achieve something resembling person growth in a particular direction. I used to think otherwise, but my mind has changed.