CBC news report on raving

Butterfly

Bluelighter
Anyone else out there see last night's CBC news story on raving? I'm constantly amazed at the power the media has to distort things, yet how real thier conception of it seems. All I can say is that I really hope my parents weren't watching it, although there was probably a 90% chance that they were.
Pretty much it was a half an hour of anti-raving/ecstacy propaganda loosely following the tragic story of some guy who did four es his first time and died at a rave where everyone was too cracked out to notice that something was wrong. I love how all these news stories seem to follow the same pattern: otherwise good kid is lured into taking drugs by the evils of the rave scene, does e once and dies. Funny how that kid doesn't actually exist. Our collective power of denial is amazing
------------------
"Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle drugs."
-- Lily Tomlin

I had a similar news report where I live. They went into a rave and found 2 peeps dealing E. And then they were like "NOw we know that all that goes on at raves are drugs" thats fukin bullshit. I HATE THE MEDIA. FUK THEM PEACE

Butterfly:
I heard about that report...
the CBC is NOTORIOUS for doing that kind of thing... I hang out on a channel in IRC, and it happens to be a "gay" channel... the CBC came on, from a web based café in the city, stating they were 15, and solisiting for sex.
we kicked/banned this perticular person. without incident... and yet, they reported on what an awful place the IRC was, and how there are awful people preying on your children.
they even went to far as to FALSIFY logs... I know they were falseified, because MY nick was used in some of it...
Frankly, the CBC sucks ass. and I think we should ALL do what all of the #gaywinnipeg crew did, and write them NASTY (but professional) letters. We may not get anything done... but perhaps, by OVERWHELING responce to the clip, and with the right information, we might be able to set some things straight....
anyone with me?
------------------
"Like a shooting star,
Accross the midnight sky!"
-BANG!
PaRaDoX -and PLUR for all!

As sorry as I feel for the parents of any person who dies, it just makes me shake my head everytime I hear or read them say, "but i know my child's not like that. They wouldn't do something like that."
Denial is definately a strong thing.

I'm with you PaRaDoX. Any copy writers in the house or english majors??? Or good writers in general, I nominate Ashke.
------------------
IMOKRUOK - Roll On Roll Off

hi everyone! it has been a long time since i last wrote. all has been extremely well.
not to defend CBC, but CBC Radio did a three-night series as part of the "ideas" series just before Christmas called "demon drugs". i did not hear the program (i would like to order a transcript, but it's expensive - synopsis at http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/ideas/transcripts/health.html), but apparently it was quite well done, talking about how some drugs that are not necessarily dangerous if done in moderation (including lsd and e) have been villified by the media. this is, of course, 100% true, but it is still progressive for a stodgy nation-wide station like cbc to air it.
i didn't see or hear the story that started this thread though - i know, they are so frustrating. every time i talk to my parents they regale me with such stories, taken completely out of context.
take care everyone! love, gabe.

I, too, saw this special. The media's interpretation is quite sad! It was actually pathetic! But what really really gets me is the fact that loads of people all over the world get drunk and kill themselves and others (drunk driving or abuse) on a daily basis. The statistics are absolutely phenominal. This was ONE guy on ONE night. That is all the story was focused on, there was not a single other reference or report of anyone else being negatively affected. The media just wants an interesting story...the people who buy into it are the sad ones!

Didn't really mean to knock the CBC in general. I actually like CBC radio a lot and listen to it every morning. I think it's generally better than CBC tv though. Probably because it's not competing against American stations in the same way that CBC television is and therefor doesn't have to be as sensationalist. Anyway, I don't think CBC in particular is any more guilty than the rest of the media in the dissemination of misinformation about drugs.
I think it would be cool if people could write intelligent letters when things like this come up. I often think about doing it myself, but I don't have the guts to use my real name, and am not sure if it's cool to send in an anonymous letter. Earlier this year the Toronto Star ran an article about e which was so blatently wrong. This CBC thing, I can sort of see how people my parent's age might see things the way the CBC does if they are looking at raving from the outside in and not understanding it at all. But the Star article made claims like people prefer e to alcohol because there's no hangover. Anyone who'se ever been sketchy knows this is completely false. Although I prefer sketch to alcohol hangover, it's still a huge deterrant to doing e. Ironically the Star's no hangover claim actually made e sound more attractive than it actually is. This kind of misreporting really gets me because it's so clearly false that someone must have made it up....
Anyway, really great thing about the CBC report was the way they kept interviewing the guy's priest. What does his priest have to do with the rave scene? I'm so glad that the media feels the need to resort to religious imagery to get their point across. I can just see my mother watching the show and ranting about the rave scene being a modern day Sodom and Gomorra (don't know about that spelling) while seeing the Priest as the voice of reason. I'm glad the CBC knows my mother so well..
wink.gif

Another great part was when they had some doctor who'se obviously never done the drug trying to explain how e feels for all the viewers who've never tried it themselves. Kind of ironic that this guy is seen as an expert when he has no conception at all of the experience he's trying to explain....
------------------
"Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle drugs."
-- Lily Tomlin