• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Caught in an illusion

Foreigner

Bluelighter
I'm caught in a very intense illusion right now, and I'm finding it hard to get out of. I've been diagnosed with chronic illness and had a very dear relationship end that I've been trying to get over. The problem is that my life has been ground to a halt, so I have so much free time to sit here and dwell that I'm kind of driving myself crazy. I met with my ex yesterday after much trepidation, to say some things that have been building in me for a long time... and simply being around him, hearing his voice, and hearing his side of the story, showed me that I am really in dangerous territory here. The stories that my mind has been spinning are not even true, and they have been dragging me down into woe.

My life is likely in the midst of a radical transformation, or so I've been told. What's holding me back is fear, and until I unroot the source of the fear, I'm going to stay sick and stay confused. I'm questioning everything right now, including my spiritual life. It seems that every day people derive so much joy from going out into the world and engaging with the routine minutiae of being alive. I've tried to muster energy to go to weekend events and enjoy some night life, but I just don't feel it right now. Things that bring other people excitement are feeling mundane to me. It has left me in a position where I don't even know what my own joy is anymore, and I'm losing my sense of love.

I posted this in P&S because I'm wondering if maybe my spiritual quest, my quest to "go higher", has actually lead me to falsely separating myself from the rest of the world. It's not that I think I'm better than... I actually have a lot of love and compassion for other people. But somehow, in this dark time, I am losing it for myself, bit by bit, every day. I am becoming a shell of who I once was. Things don't seem to be panning out for me anymore. Trauma, grief, and deep disappointment are my constant companions now. I can't seem to move beyond this mire. And I'm wondering if my spiritual path has just made it too difficult for me to live in the regular world.

Coupled with this, I no longer do drugs of any kind, out of the simple fact my physical body can't handle it and I'd get way more sick. So I am looking at stone sober reality now, on top of dealing with isolation, the loss of my productive career, poor health, and my beloved moving on from me. It's like I lost everything at once.

So what can my spiritual life do for me now? I pray to the divine every day to give me the clear vision to see out of this, and try to believe there's a way out. But I'm pretty beyond the pale. I've always been a seeker and a rebel. And now, after years of that, I am right back at square one with not much to show for it.

I know the feeling. however, you shouldnt trust the appearance. people are very good faking their happiness and acting as if their life is all dandy. Everyone suffer...

meditation may help you very much. what you are looking for is likely more pleasure then what the sense can give you, and meditation is the only thing Ive found much much more satisfying the what the worldly pleasure could ever give me.

right now, maybe let aside all those thoughts you have. and focus on what you know you have inside: love, compassion, happiness. Look at each moment, and every time you have negative thoughts, try to label those thoughts. rather then to think in circle, try to see that all those negative thoughts arent helping you.
but honestly, I cant be much help. I believe so much in the dharma, which may look so depressing for some, that my only advise would be to begin meditation asap and purify yourself: once you discover the reality underneath all your thoughts, there no turning back. but as long as we live in those thoughts, we cannot see beauty outside of what we are used to think brings us happiness.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear that Foreigner. I would recommened giving the angel channeler I went back to many times when I was going through crises a try as it can be a real relief and encouragement to communicate with your guardian angels when you're in a state like that. But I know you probably won't be open to something like that, although it's honestly not a rip-off.

(Just in case you'd like to give it a try - http://the-angel-channeler.com)

My life is likely in the midst of a radical transformation, or so I've been told. What's holding me back is fear, and until I unroot the source of the fear, I'm going to stay sick and stay confused. I'm questioning everything right now, including my spiritual life. It seems that every day people derive so much joy from going out into the world and engaging with the routine minutiae of being alive. I've tried to muster energy to go to weekend events and enjoy some night life, but I just don't feel it right now. Things that bring other people excitement are feeling mundane to me. It has left me in a position where I don't even know what my own joy is anymore, and I'm losing my sense of love.

I posted this in P&S because I'm wondering if maybe my spiritual quest, my quest to "go higher", has actually lead me to falsely separating myself from the rest of the world. It's not that I think I'm better than... I actually have a lot of love and compassion for other people. But somehow, in this dark time, I am losing it for myself, bit by bit, every day. I am becoming a shell of who I once was. Things don't seem to be panning out for me anymore. Trauma, grief, and deep disappointment are my constant companions now. I can't seem to move beyond this mire. And I'm wondering if my spiritual path has just made it too difficult for me to live in the regular world.

I would suggest that you are feeling the effects of a turbulent, distressing MUNDANE physical reality. Exaltation through spirituality is invigorating and enriching, but it can sometimes detach us from the 'normal' plane of existence. When we are then faced with problems in our physical worlds, we are sometimes ill-equipped to deal with them because the 'muscles' we've been working out are better at lifting 'virtual/non-tangible' weights.

Do you think you might be depressed? I ask because in my experiences of depression, I felt like the lights had been turned off worldwide. I was unable to feel or value love or compassion, and felt a constant dread, sorrow and fear for the future. Meditation is the only thing that helped me, logic and rationality failed. The only thing that helped was stopping my thoughts for as long as possible to allow myself to get underneath them and push them closer to the surface.

Coupled with this, I no longer do drugs of any kind, out of the simple fact my physical body can't handle it and I'd get way more sick. So I am looking at stone sober reality now, on top of dealing with isolation, the loss of my productive career, poor health, and my beloved moving on from me. It's like I lost everything at once.

I am so sorry that you experiencing this :( <3. There is not much that I can suggest that you don't already know; but the feelings you have are not unusual given the immense negativity you are going through. You know the truth, this will pass as everything does and you will one day not even recall what you were worrying about. Cold comfort, but you already have the tools within you to make this situation different. And I think its a really good thing that you aren't taking drugs. I cannot see how most drugs would even remotely help you, though I guess an ayahuasca trip might. :)

So what can my spiritual life do for me now? I pray to the divine every day to give me the clear vision to see out of this, and try to believe there's a way out. But I'm pretty beyond the pale. I've always been a seeker and a rebel. And now, after years of that, I am right back at square one with not much to show for it.

Moreso, what can you do for your spiritual life, to ensure it doesn't lose it's potency when faced with stress.

"the scout's knife cuts in both directions"

do you explore the impermanence of every moment? i have a similar problem of being kind of detached from most things (no gf, no job, no normal interests, no social life), but i still can see where my path can take me if i put in enough practice, and i know that if i listen to my thoughts or what my mind is doing all the time it would drive me crazy, but if i stay with the sensate level, with the changing experience in my body then it helps difficult feelings to pass through, or provides a chance to welcome any unpleasant sensations with open arms.

i find listening to inspiring interviews/podcasts/teachers when i'm in a rut can help put things in perspective, or give me the push to make the changes which will help things to flow in an easier way again. i like tami simon's (from sounds true) podcast 'insights at the edge' atm

I suggest going out of town, find a nice quiet place in the forest with large trees. Find one that looks right to you and sit against it. Close your eyes and let the tree work it's magic. Trees are eminently sensible beings, in all senses of 'sensible' and after a time you will feel the influence. Nothing like a tree to ground you, and as you say, you have the time to do it.

Be cautious of going to gurus or others - your path is yours alone and you seem vulnerable right now - not a good place to be if someone starts telling you how to live.

The sea can also work if you can find a deserted beach somewhere and watch & listen to the heartbeat of the waves.

^I like your idea j-man :) Tree's/nature can be genuinely comforting.

Trees have helped me a few times when life hasn't been... um... comfortable. Errinundra Plateau has mountain ash where the first branches are 30 - 40m up and about 10m around the base or more. Very calming and centering.

So the main advice I'm getting here is meditation and nature. Perhaps my mind has gotten away with me. But that's what happens when you're sick and idle.

I think I'll go to a meditation class when I'm well enough, just to get into the swing of it.

I'm not sure what your condition is, and whether or not it affects longevity, and whether or not that is the core of what is troubling you, but - either way - I suggest meditating specifically on your mortality. If you have less time, as a result of being diagnosed, then let that motivate you to make the most of your time as much as you can. Everything can be interpreted positively or negatively. Come to terms with your situation (obviously, this is easier to do than to say) and figure out how to make the most of it...

until I unroot the source of the fear, I'm going to stay sick and stay confused

Don't repress what you're feeling. Don't try and distract yourself, with social outings, when it's clear that you're not ready for that... and don't blame yourself, in any way, for not wanting to socialize as much as you used to. You need to process what is happening to you. Get comfortable in your new surroundings. (I suspect that you're afraid of "where you are", now. But it's very difficult to say, without more information.)

I posted this in P&S because I'm wondering if maybe my spiritual quest, my quest to "go higher", has actually lead me to falsely separating myself from the rest of the world.

The more enlightened we become, I think, the more we feel connected to the rest of the world but - at the same time - separated from the atypical human persona... I find a lot of things in society more and more baffling each day (like make-up) but I feel less distant - spiritually - to people every day (even those who wear make-up).

I'm sorry that you're sick.
:)

Hey Foreigner, sorry to hear you're suffering man. You've helped me out when I was in a very bad place before. I'm sure it must feel very dispiriting to find yourself back in a negative headspace.

There is no going back on a spiritual path. It isn't about feeling good all the time. We go through pain in its many forms so we can learn and develop. I don't say that in reference to some ephemeral afterlife, but to the life that's right here in front of us. You are supposed to feel doubt and to question everything in order that you may grow. The people who never do that never grow. Then they stagnate and they die never having glimpsed the real treasures of life. Rest assured you are not going to regress to this state on your own journey. You can't forget what you've learned; though it may FEEL cloudy to you now, that's only because you can't apply it to your present situation. That isn't bad, it's just adaptation. Life presents you with problems, you deal with them; it presents you with different problems, and you have to deal with them in different ways.

I know full well what it's like having nothing to occupy your time. It's just as bad as being too busy. If you want, I can give you half my current fairly crazy workload and we'll be in a perfect middle. ;)

Your thoughts loop back in on themselves and foster anxiety. They have little else to imprint themselves on so it all turns into introspection. And not the good kind, but the kind that go nowhere, create problems and just generally makes it confusing and painful to be alive. So it's much like coming up on a heavy dose of a psychedelic, then just sitting around doing nothing. Fears generate out of this and then they feed off themselves and become stronger and stronger. This is why I go for a walk, draw something or meditate while coming up - there is little to no trepidation that way, and the principle is the same: make sure you have something to do other than just think.

So the answer is to occupy yourself, just as the obvious thing when you're too busy is to punch through the workload or reduce it. This isn't always possible - you may be in solitary confinement with nothing but a wall to stare at, or you may have ten kids and three mortgages to pay. Nor is it necessarily easy, even when it can be done. What I have found works is to commit to something with an outside incentive. In that situation, I would not attempt to write a novel, since that requires consistency and discipline, and you will find it much harder to maintain either of those when you're not busy. So go for something that's going to occupy a lot of your time, is meaningful to you, and regiments your day better than what you currently have. Doesn't matter what it is. I chose to go back to study this year, and while the timing's poor (I don't have money or enough work to pay the bills, and there are other stressors, so in some ways it feels like a nightmare), I don't regret it because it gives me focus and stability. Study is great if you can manage it. So if there are any degrees you've ever wanted, it's not too late to start. In many ways this is a golden stage, because you're NOT presently bound by things, so you can choose what is going to bind you.

However, it sounds like you feel the problem runs deeper than that. Of course things like your illness and the breakup can really throw a spanner in there. I brought up spirituality because you've related this to it yourself. I definitely agree with everyone who's suggested taking up meditation classes. Though as a suggestion, go into it with a clear intent. You get out of it whatever you put in. A businessman who does Yoga for an hour in the morning is not looking for enlightenment, the guy just wants to relax so he can think more clearly, which is entirely valid. But for people like us, I think the better application of meditation is simply to become more aware. Pick up the skill of being able to observe your own thoughts impartially and without attaching yourself to them. It gets more and more natural the more you do it. And (this is the part people sadly often miss) the meditation doesn't end when you open your eyes and stand up. In fact we are always meditating on something or another - it's just usually on how we're going to pay rent, or what is wrong with me, or any of the other stories the mind likes to tell - and we do not notice or seem to have any control over the fact we're doing it. So, my goal with meditation has always been to become more mindful throughout my entire day, from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. This has a tremendous impact on making stress more manageable, the clutter in my head clearer, and my general sense of spiritual orientation unobstructed by the ego. Try it. :)

One fear I used to have when people told me I think too much is, if I start meditating or otherwise occupying my attention, and learn to tune out all that incessant analysis of everything all the time... won't that mean I'm no longer focusing on my inner development? There's a sense of urgency towards many of these thoughts, it seems as though the questions need answering right now and there's an important reason for all this attention on them.

But this is actually the opposite of the truth, because by engaging more with the outside world, your thoughts actually become far MORE clear and no, you don't get lulled into some haze of automation. So meditating, becoming aware of your thoughts... is actually a way to make them MORE efficient and LESS confused. And overall, you are just more aware of what's really going on in your mind and body, which is an enormous asset. I do not think most people are truly self-aware, and they suffer constantly at their own hand for it.

It also helps to remember that whatever problems you're dealing with now are just superficial. They are manifestations of something deeper. Which, at the moment, you might describe as your general unease and depression. But in this way your problems are opportunities to resolve the deeper issues. To make yourself, for instance, better able to respect and love yourself even in the lethargy and aimlessness you're dealing with right now. After all, if all these problems went away, and everything was ideal, do you think you would be happy then? Probably. But eventually that tranquility will pass, just as every problem passes. And then you will be distressed again. Your problems are not an objective cause of misery. The misery is actually your reaction.

In this way you can never truly deal with the manifest problem until you have dealt with the underlying one. In my case, I am paralysed by stress these days. This is the least helpful reaction possible to it. I lose time and I lose energy. But I am realising that I cannot really do all the things in my life that need doing, until I am able to get past that core issue of wanting to escape my pain. The problems will come and they will go, they have done so many times in my life, and each time they have beaten me - I've run away. That will keep happening until I deal with my fundamental inability to be present with the suffering of it. Ironically, I CANNOT defeat it unless I give up on the pressing need to defeat it. In your case, perhaps the feelings of worthlessness that come from feeling unproductive in a very productive society are part of what's making you feel miserable. Are you able to accept that feeling, or do you need to escape from it? Accepting it does not mean you think it's valid, it means you've let go of the urge to control and change it. You will never escape from it as long as you do that, because by doing so, you are giving it energy. You are manifesting the problem, making it real and giving it power over you. Let go of the need to dominate that which dominates you, and you'll find it all levels out in the end anyway.

So reassure yourself, this is all normal and it's supposed to happen. You will be fine. Better than that, you are actually going to discover truly incredible things on this journey. Things unique to your own magnificent, intelligent, beautiful experience of life on this planet. That's what this is all about in the end anyway. From a certain perspective, having mental baggage to deal with is actually a GOOD thing. You can embrace pain and death as honoured friends, rather than wishing to slay them as your enemies. They aren't. Your only enemy is yourself.

They say you wouldn't know happiness if you'd never been sad, pleasure if you'd never felt pain. Not exactly. Pain is pain and it sucks by definition. Pleasure is pleasure and by definition it's great. You'd feel those things - you just wouldn't be able to appreciate them at all. Because they'd be all you'd ever known. But by feeling this dysphoria, you are making it possible to appreciate clarity and serenity in your life when it does come, in a way you never could before. This is wonderful. Embrace it.

One meditation that highlights this is to simply imagine there was no death, not even the concept of it. You are always going to be what and who you are, you are just never going to die. How does life look now? Well, it sounds like it would be safe, but any of it be worth much? No, it'd be worth nothing at all because it can't be lost. Therefore there's no reason to love, to care or even to engage. But we do have death, and it makes life precious, invaluable even. In this way, every moment you experience from the pits of hell to the peaks of heaven is divine ecstasy. And the same goes for any other duality - you would not appreciate the comfort of security unless you had experienced insecurity, clarity if you had not experienced confusion. You WOULD still experience security and clarity - they just wouldn't mean anything to you.

"My thoughts are clear, as always. Ehh, so what?"
or
"My thoughts are clear again. What a relief."

You ARE going to continue to suffer here. I am. We all are! There's no escaping it. The trick is to not feel despair when you do, as though something has gone wrong, and everything you accomplished to this point was moot. You were taught to think that way. Look around, it's not reality, every living thing is supposed to suffer, the starting point of Buddhism is "Life is suffering" and this is not pessimistic, it's simply what's undeniable.

So what's actually happening here is the contrary, you are breaking new ground. From what you've told me, understanding that is your way forward here. And it's a gradual realisation, so be patient with it.

I'll stop now because in all this time I could've kicked over an assignment, haha. I hope your illness isn't too lasting or debilitating. Sounds like it sucks. All the best with it, whatever it is it sounds at least very annoying to have to put up with.

Best of luck mate.

Last edited:
So the main advice I'm getting here is meditation and nature. Perhaps my mind has gotten away with me. But that's what happens when you're sick and idle.

I think I'll go to a meditation class when I'm well enough, just to get into the swing of it.
Nature doesn't require being 'well enough' or any kind of commitment. (except for go find it. :D) There are rhythms to nature and whether we are 'conscious' of them or not, they are perceived.

Waiting till you are 'well enough' may not the the best choice. Perhaps a tree can get you to that place easier than waiting around for your life to let you there?

Moreso, what can you do for your spiritual life, to ensure it doesn't lose it's potency when faced with stress.

Okay one more quick thing, just wanted to add I really like this, and I think it answers your question on feeling you've lost progress in some way. You haven't, the knowledge is all still there. But think of it like any other skill. Okay, you can hit bullseye with a bow and arrow. But can you hit a target who's also trying to hit you? THAT is a whole other level of pressure. If you can't do it, that doesn't mean you have no archery skill whatsoever. It means your skill is being challenged that it may rise to the next level. If you only ever take your time to aim at a nonthreatening target, you'll only go so far. All greast masters of anything at all knew this and they lived it. Either be satisfied with what you have - which is entirely legitimate if you're able - or learn to think like a master.

I am sorry to hear of your despair. I broke up with my long term partner. She was the biggest part of my life. Its hard adjustin, I moved back to my hometown 1000 miles away. Its still tempting to fall back into a love I could always rely on to reciprocate. My heart might have few conditions to maintain love within it, but my mind and rationality needs fairness and some kind of balance to maintain a romantic relationship.

As far as spirituality goes, I feel blessed for the experiences she gave me, we had some very good times. For me, ita all about perspective. Its not always easy, but you can choose from which angle you view a situation from. I choose the perspective that gives me the most peace of mind and provides no dissonance. You see, we all are trapped in the allusion of our perceived reality; but if you ignore dissonance, then your reality can become an illusion.

An allusion is based on something real, but not as direct and concrete as one might think. We perceive a thing and think thats what it is in actuality, but we only have indirect and limited access to the object based on this perceived information. An illusion is deceptive or erroneous. That's why truth seeking and rules of valid inference are important. If you aren't careful about properly organizing and retaining information, then you become succeptible to delusion/illusion.

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said, only that i too have found myself in a similar circumstance in the last six months.

Finding myself financially broke, moved back to my home country, loss of friendships/relationships and experiencing a real hollowing lack of purpose and direction. I've actually slowly given up on spirituality and how found myself becoming increasingly nihilistic.. and the strange part is i don't have a problem with it, i know everything is impermanent and fleeting and this feels like my response to that understanding; it's feels like a form of detachment.

In some regard i feel like i reached the highest high of connection to the divine through spirituality and now I feel abandoned and plunged into Alone-ness; much in the same way it's described in The Dark Night of the Soul.

^I think as you age the joy and inspiration of spiritual experience seems to tone down a bit. Its not as intense as in youth, just like many things. At the same time, for me, I've emerged into a deeper feeling of connection, and its actually something I don't need to think about constantly; its like I've cut a furrow in my mind and it now knows to follow it- I don't need to push it along as much for it to find its equilibrium. At the same time, I expect at all times for this to all be swept away because I am an inherently unstable person but this time perhaps I won't burn it all down.

Foreigner, I would ask you- how sure are you that this is an illusion? If you believe it is not real or is an obfuscation of the truth, perhaps you will miss learning a valuable lesson that you wouldn't have learned any other way. Inasmuch as all of this life is illusory and fleeting, sometimes we feel things that are true because we live in this reality that feels like it is real and respond to it accordingly and then learn how to temper our future responses.

I went through some awfully dark times where I was sure I was lost forever; I had a period where I was diagnosed and exhibiting symptoms of bipolar, dissociative identity disorder, severe epilepsy, catatonia, PTSD, etc. I was on opiates, had infected arms from injecting (I still bear the scars), was having seizures/blackouts from prolonged benzo withdrawal*, was in legal trouble relating to drugs and violent behaviour, etc (incidentally, I was experiencing incredible 'divine communion' almost constantly at this stage). This was crazily dark, and felt like hell- I felt that this could not be real, that I could not be being tested like this, that I could not bear it a second longer- and then I got to realise a few things after finally detoxing from benzo's/opiates (hellish, surreal, amazing, terrifying) and experiencing a few days of decreasingly traumatic/increasingly euphoric ayahuasca tripping. I decided that considering darkness and pain/suffering as a 'not-real' was not helping me escape from it, but I couldn't figure out how. I discussed this with my late uncle who had studied Buddhism. He said that I was correct in considering suffering illusory, but if I was confronted with a train bearing down upon me, would I leap to escape it or just trust it would disperse before hitting me? It seemed clear how I would respond. I would leap. However, my uncle said that it would be better to try and jump onto the train and let it take me somewhere, let it guide me to the light at the end of the tunnel. I thought that was quite beautiful. Some darkness is neccesary because it and light are not two. :) It can teach you something.

Not say that you need to lie down and bear it like a good christian. But it needs to be accepted as real before it can be challenged. Not to say that you are in denial, but the word illusion is suggestive.

That's why some people find psychedelic trips cathartic; they can force you into conflict and turmoil and, despite knowing that this is purely the effects of drugs, force you to take charge of yourselves or surrender completely. Just no apathy allowed and whether its an illusion or not is irrelevant to the potency of the acute intense journey before you.

*all symptoms abated when I was off benzo's for a few months, though generalised anxiety and mild epilepsy continues daily, but they were both apparent before all this. I now work, have a good satisfying life, plenty of money, a few close friends, and a deep respect for the weirdness we are all experiencing. <3

Are you physically active? Exercise does wonders for your mental health.

Other than that just know that this feeling isn't permanent.

I'm caught in a very intense illusion right now, and I'm finding it hard to get out of. I've been diagnosed with chronic illness and had a very dear relationship end that I've been trying to get over. The problem is that my life has been ground to a halt, so I have so much free time to sit here and dwell that I'm kind of driving myself crazy. I met with my ex yesterday after much trepidation, to say some things that have been building in me for a long time... and simply being around him, hearing his voice, and hearing his side of the story, showed me that I am really in dangerous territory here. The stories that my mind has been spinning are not even true, and they have been dragging me down into woe.

Nothing wrong with being at square one, every day is an adventure or a test, just do your best, exercise (eg swimming), get yourself grounded...
Sorry to hear about your illness, and for it to happen someone as learned as you in matters of health, at a difficult time. I reflect on my own health, not too bad, and the health of others, we are all on the path to malfunction at one time or another. I hope you can sustain yourself through your own knowledge and wisdom and continue to help others in the future, try to understand the nature of the world better in order to survive in a positive way for the future. There are plenty of fish in the sea, there are more than a hundred million partners out there for you.

I would suggest that you get out there and try to be active, harder said than done I know, I am very much in the same boat as you right now. Trying to enjoy the nightlife and such might not be the best place to start, even if it might seem like an obvious way to have a good time and feel better for oneself for many. From what I have gathered, your spiritual path is much about helping others. Could this perhaps be the way to feel better about yourself again? I don't know you very well, but I just get the feeling that you are a really great person. If you'd expose yourself to other people more during these dark times and show that love and compassion you have for them, I'm sure it will radiate back to you, lifting you higher again.

Just so everyone knows, I am bed ridden and on morphine. The recommendations to get more active can't happen right now. I am in so much pain that if you handed me a gun in the worst moments I'd blow my brains out.

The pain is worse than when I wrote the OP. All this philosophical shit doesn't matter. When your body falls apart and the pain rips into you, the luxury of ego pondering ceases to matter. You're not you anymore, and it becomes clear.

I am now in the hands of something that is far beyond me. Whether I live or die remains to be seen.

Thank you all for your time. Just goes to show that no matter how much you think you know or are prepared for, there can always be a perfect setup which surpasses the boundaries of what you thought possible.