View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric Carl Jung's warning about the unconscious

darvocet21

Bluelighter
One of the major themes in the writings of CG Jung is an often repeated caution that the Unconscious is not to be trifled with, much less directed or controlled. Especially it's dark or Shadow side which has a "kind of autonomy" ...

“Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is. At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions.”

Here he is referring to the shadow of the personal unconscious comprised of one's own traumatic memories, dreams, thoughts & experiences that have been repressed from our conscious mind. It is a dubious suggestion that these can be overcome and integrated quickly and easily.

"Closer examination of the dark characteristics – that is, the inferiorities constituting the shadow – reveals that they have an emotional nature, a kind of autonomy, and accordingly an obsessive or, better, possessive quality.” (emphasis mine)

One should not tempt demons, since they can weaponize your deepest fears against you. The Individuation Process, emphasized Jung, was the work of a lifetime, requiring courage that is often hard won.

The problem grows infinitely greater in dealing with the Shadow Archetype of the Collective Unconscious, comprised the repressed conscious contents of the sum total of Human Experience. An awful lot of that is composed of experiences that would be emotionally shattering. What most people refer to as bad trips are spiritual maladies (and not even necessarily our own in a biographical sense) and therefore pose serious risks to spiritual well-being. And it's a situation made worse by the ironclad materialism dominating Western psychiatry and science at the present.

"Modern society came into existence during the industrial revolution, when large portions of the population were driven from small towns into big cities in search of work and opportunity – instigating the birth of a mass society. While the development of a mass society generated benefits through the intensification of the division of labor, it also brought perilous problems.
“This new form of existence…produced an individual who was unstable, insecure, and suggestible.” (Jung, The Fight With the Shadow)

The suggestion taking psychedelics now or having done so in the past makes one a better person is not borne out from experience. In my own life I have known at least two people who committed suicide within weeks of a shattering psychedelic experience. Moreover those who do not resort to such desperate acts have little in the way of helping them make sense of the overwhelming sense of life's futility and their powerlessness coupled with the paradoxical feeling of guilt and shame, to which no amount of antipsychotic can address since it hasn't a materialistic basis. They often find themselves emotionally adrift, seeking out metaphysical answers and are easy prey for religious and political cults. And yet they're acting on an instinct which is correct: Modern Life is intolerable, a catch-22, requiring the suppression of much of what is best in one's nature.

“How totally different did the world appear to medieval man! For him the earth was eternally fixed and at rest in the centre of the universe…Men were all children of God under the loving care of the Most High, who prepared them for eternal blessedness; and all knew exactly what they should do and how they should conduct themselves in order to rise from a corruptible world to an incorruptible and joyous existence. Such a life no longer seems real to us, even in our dreams.” (Jung, The Spiritual Problem of Modern Man)

There are no shortcuts in the struggle for self-acceptance and peace of mind apart from miracles. As a deeply faithful yet practical man he both believed in Grace, saw its power to transform lives (as with his most famous patient, Bill W, founder of Alcoholics Anonymous) and yet at the same time believed it insufficient during the course of our lives without work, both inner and outer.

After death was another story, one which was deeply personal to him later in life when he suffered a major heart attack and a classic near-death experience, which he described vividly in his autobiography Memories, Dreams, Reflections on condition it not be published until after his death.

A deeper examination of this can be found here.

William-Blake-Nebuchadnezzar-Tate-Britain-1024x733.jpg

William Blake, Nebuchadnezzar

Last edited:
the end of Jung's journey corresponds to the beginning of ours.
I particularly enjoyed man and his symbols as it encourages an exploration of mandalas and respect of gestalt apprehension, i.e. all senses at once.
otherwise, in my opinion, his views are very culturally constrained, and inordinately dualistic.

for instance the allusion to a shadow side from within the murky dark corners of the 'subconscious' mind makes me want to check under the bed one more time.
it's clear, the only thing under my bed is dust.

what if there is no subconscious mind at all, no dark side, no light side, just me. just you.

every day is a new day, and our memories (both the trauma and the interests) weave into and trail behind our experiences - our appetites and our activities.

I think it is better to take that approach when using psychedelics, which stretch out time amidst the thickets of our imaginations.

Shadow work is indeed interesting, that is exploring, integrating and accepting the darker aspects of oneself. You shouldn't just contemplate that you're possibly a very immoral being in society's own terminology, but embrace and accept it.

Or like Jordan Peterson said in one of his lectures on the shadow, "the hero has to be a monster".

One should not tempt demons, since they can weaponize your deepest fears against you
But wouldn't you say one needs to know their own demons? So they can't weaponize against you? Wouldn't it make more sense to make peace with your devils rather than fight them? That is, self-acceptance?

I would hope that if jordan peterson came to my house I would invite him to sit for tea same as I would any demon that randomly appeared.

and if a dark side of me is acting up, i make space for that too.

mean time I am sweeping under the bed in case a dust bunny gets uppity.

I might be composed of 32% dust bunnies.

But wouldn't you say one needs to know their own demons? So they can't weaponize against you? Wouldn't it make more sense to make peace with your devils rather than fight them? That is, self-acceptance?
That's exactly what Jung would say you need to do. However if you think you're going to do it quickly or painlessly you're in for a world of hurt... you can't dictate terms to the devil.

That's exactly what Jung would say you need to do. However if you think you're going to do it quickly or painlessly you're in for a world of hurt... you can't dictate terms to the devil.
Believe, it was (is) a world of hurt.

let me put it this way, in coming to know yourself, you may need to make space for some truths - about who and what you are - that you might have preferred were not so.
seeing the nastiness or pain for what it is, puts you into a better position to carry on, tripping or whatever.

the truth may be about something you consider dark, something you find embarrassing; it could be a health problem, or a mental problem, or a relationship issue. It can otherwise seem to be of mythic proportions, but I do not think that perspective serves any purpose except to shake you up.
So to the extent that you sense it is real, make space for it and continue.

The best analogy that I can come up for for the shadow side of our unconscious mind is what happens so often in relationships, especially with our significant other, parents or children where there are certain conditions under which we seem to lose all sense of perspective and freedom to act the way we wish we could act, whether it is in showing love, listening, deferring or comandeering certain responsibilities or important decisions, and I could go on because it's really an endless list unique to the interpersonal dynamics of each relationship.

I'll give an example from my own life. In my first real relationship I was in love and she loved me. I felt totally at peace and content. I remember one time we were coming home from a camping trip with friends, another young couple who had invited us, who were up front while we were sitting in the backseat. There was a pleasant lull in the conversation and my girlfriend was asleep. We were all transformed from the experience of being in nature and somehow they knew not to play music, as if we all wanted to preserve the silence of the forest as long as possible.
My girlfriend had fallen asleep and I was suddenly filled with such a sublime sense of happiness and joy, watching her quiet breathing, there are no words to describe the feeling that aren't evocative of religious experience. No words were necessary and if I could have stayed in that place for Eternity I would have, I would be there right now.

... however I was also frequently a jerk! Frequently I felt anger, jealousy and fear. Worse, I had no conscious control over when and how such negative emotions would rise to the surface, yet when they did I was like a man possessed. We got into terrible arguments and fights over the most trivial things. We were never physically violent but we hurt each other profoundly with the things we said, often in the presence of others, once causing a friend of hers who was staying with us to begin sobbing.

Afterwards I would try to figure out how it happened how had things deteriorated so rapidly? I was stumped and the best I could do was promise to myself I would never do that again, just as I promised her as we patched things up again and again, the relationship always a little worse for wear.

I had enough self-awareness to know that one of the things that drove me into such neurotic forms of behavior was fear. Fear that she'd find out that I wasn't deserving of her love!

The transformation was so total and so quick it astonishes me to this day, and as to the relationship, it persisted longer than it probably should have, before it ended as so many relationships do, awkwardly and with profound and mostly unexpressed sadness
(This is not at all to say that I still don't have relationship issues...who doesn't?)

Last edited:
Is there a shadow with its own identity like a supervillain or the devil of the Judeo-Christian & Islamic worldview? I tend to doubt it. Too simplistic

Feelings of shame, unexplained phobias or inferiority complexes assume a "kind of autonomy" in exact proportion to the degree we repress them. I don't need to remind bluelighters of all the different chemical ways we do it. And substance abuse is only one of the addictions, compulsions & endless variety of other obsessions: sexual, religious, occult & political/ideological, including all the different forms and varieties of prejudice...and so on.

It's too easy to blame it on Satan, when most of the evil in the world is done with good intentions.

An excellent example of a character from fiction suffering the delusion that he has no shadow is the doctor in Anton Chekhov's short story "Ward #6" who ends up being committed in the mental wing of the small-town hospital he was in charge of. Due to loneliness and deep-seated resentment of the locals and yearning for an intellectual equal to talk to, he befriends one the "lunatics", a disarmingly honest, well-educated man who challenges the doctor to explain the purpose of suffering during his first ever visit to the decrepit Ward #6 where 5 men are housed, watched over (and frequently abused) by a stupid sadistic guard. As his friendship deepens with the inmate he takes him into his confidence and they spend more and more time together in deep philosophical conversations, concern turns to alarm among the townsfolk including the assistant doctor, that the chief surgeon may be cracking up under the pressure of his responsibilities... as the only other doctor for hundreds of miles around he has the authority to commit his colleague, and though he doesn't lack for motivation as he would become the new head doctor this assistant doc sadly believes that his boss has lost his mind, for how else to explain his behavior?

In a brutal reversal he is forced to become aware of & endure the deplorable conditions that he's responsible for (as former head of the hospital) and what's worse, he begins to question his own sanity as the story closes.

Last edited:
attempting to block out memories and reactions tied to trauma - i.e. repression - works only like holding one's breath.

sometimes you can get to better air outside, but each time this trick is performed, the habit becomes stronger, and life becomes more complex.

love Checkov but have not read enough of his timeless prose

I like reading stuff like this; it helps push me a little to define a little more of what I think is going on. Instead of accepting everything anyone espouses, I tend to throw it all in the stew and see what the end entree may become... it is built in layers mostly, IMO.
But this:
you can't dictate terms to the devil
is not going in the dish. The stew is in one pot and is the same throughout... a stew. If I do not like cooked carrots (the devil) I either remove them (and abide the flavors) or throw the whole of it out the window and start afresh without carrots. Simple to me: Maybe too simple...? IDK, yet, but it kinda works for me. :)
The image is boss. The most high is still only man.

Thought-provoking discussion. I agree that psychedelics bring with them serious risks, and I think these are often downplayed in the community. Nevertheless, they can also catalyze healing. One of the ways in which they do so is exactly related to this idea that we should be suspicious of attempting to rid ourselves of the shadow parts of our selves. Indeed, for me at least, psychedelics often reveal hints of the shadow that are otherwise entirely unconscious, while simultaneously allowing me to be ok with these bits and accept them as true and valid parts of myself: even if I wish they weren't.

One way to think about this unconscious shadow (not Jung's) is to imagine it as the summation of the coping mechanisms that we developed as infants. Once upon a time this was the best we were able to come up with in order to deal with the onslaught of feelings that were too intense to bear, and that we had no hope of understanding at the time. Now we walk around the world reacting to stimuli in a manner that was developed for reasons obsolete and forgotten. We use our current logic to give illusory reasons to our behavior. For example, I think "I got angry at her because she was being rude!" when, in reality the truth is more like, "I got angry at her because our interaction conjured this feeling in me that I couldn't bear to feel as an infant! I spent my entire childhood and then adulthood structuring my life and relations to continue avoiding feeling that feeling! And how I'm feeling it! Agh!" We put the blame on "the other" for what we can't bare to own in ourselves.

We are fragile and ready to snap, and this shadow is indeed dangerous, but only in as much as it is pushed away, avoided, and let grow in shadow form. What if, instead, we were able to be mindful in those moments where we felt those unwanted feelings, and we were able to change gears: What if at, "I got angry----!!" we could stop for a moment, and feel everything our body is feeling--feel it completely and without commentary or retrospective explanation--instead of avoiding it (for our reaction, including the anger and everything that follows, is exactly our way of not feeling these feelings). What if we could see clearly that, even if we wish these feelings weren't there, they are not harmful in and of themselves. They can be accepted, maybe even embraced as true and valid feelings that are part of who we are and only incidentally catalyzed by the person next to us. They have much more to do with us than to anything "happening to us." What if we knew that these unwanted feelings were synonymous with freedom: That if we could welcome these feelings instead of reacting with our expired coping mechanisms, we would taste enlightenment itself, the taste so different from what we expected and hoped for, but alive with energy unlimited.

Even more than making the unconscious conscious, this is one of the things that psychedelics allow for practicing. It's the reason for the typical trip advice: if something disturbs you, welcome it instead of pushing it away. Still I agree that there is a great danger here: Psychedelics can have a profound impact, but if the practice is not continued without them, then they may indeed make things much worse. Better and safer to have stuck with your infantile coping mechanisms that have brought you this far. Psychedelics may start you on a path, but they will not bring you to the goal. Will you follow that path now that you've started on it? How far will you go? Now that you know, what choice do you have?

I would say that you agree that cringing is more of an echo than a shadow.
In my opinion, the practice of relaxing and being civil while facing what disturbs you, actually has to start while not on psychedelic so that it is more second nature (i.e. an echo) than a supreme effort.

The mind resonates and echoes what it has learned (by repetition) - this is most fundamental, and should be easy to grasp, but instead we have superstitions, gods and devils and experts who are sometimes making up nonsense to close the gap on incomplete understanding.

We have to be able to relax in the face of incomplete understanding as well - it will always be our baseline.

In my opinion, the practice of relaxing and being civil while facing what disturbs you, actually has to start while not on psychedelic so that it is more second nature (i.e. an echo) than a supreme effort.
I can't say about where it needs to start, but I agree about where it needs to be practiced (i.e. everywhere and always and not just in the context of a drug trip).

We have to be able to relax in the face of incomplete understanding as well - it will always be our baseline.
Yep. This is in fact the problem with psychoanalysis and most traditional western therapy: It assumes we'll be able to understand this infinite web of intertwined histories. Some understanding is useful, but mostly it'll remain a mystery until the day we day. Better to learn to live with it in the best way possible.