• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis -- No, Look . . .

Nicomorphinist

Bluelighter
I swear reading a blurb in the newspaper about people saying that cannabis is an apples for apples replacement for narcotics, which is ridiculous is the 100th time I have heard it, mainly in the financial press, so maybe some cannabis businesspeople are the source?

Note To Prevaricators: Black Box Warning
You are hurting chronic pain patients with your propaganda and imperiling the lives of a low but increasing percentage of them, and if you continue doing this, you run a moderate to high risk of going to Hell, a place with a different kind of smoke and unspeakable amusements for the proprietor. Cannabis can do very good things for a lot of people -- you do not need to lie about it.

Last edited:
Yeah that complete and utter trash. It certainly helps but it is no replacement. I have had success using cannabis to abort opioid cravings when I have them but this is as an adjunct to the methadone I take everyday, if I didn't also have opioids in some form or another no amount of cannabis is gonna help.

And I'm sure this is even more preposterous for chronic pain patients.. it is extremely useful as an adjunct for both addiction and chronic pain but a replacement?? No fucking way.

Hell no, im a daily smoker and it does zero for pain

It's a first for me bro.

Maybe you should get better sources.

P.S. Cannabis is technically a narcotic.
https://www.incb.org/incb/en/narcotic-drugs/index.html

No, people are mentioning it in the financial press and this started about two years ago. Bloomberg is the worst in this respect.

Cannabis is cannabis -- it is not an opioid. Even benighted folks like the DEA have a category for it, Anslinger had to declare it a narcotic in 1937 to get it under the Harrison Narcotics Act 1914 in the US, and people have been leaning on other governments, the League of Nations, United Nations and so forth to adopt the Anslinger definition.

Cannabis is cannabis -- it is not an opioid.
And that's a big reason why we get our forum to discuss all things cannabis. Pretty cool, huh?

As far as a comparison for pain management replacement (for myself of course) it's a lot closer to Aspirin.

As far as using cannabis for an opiod maintenance goes, I find it to helpful in recovery of opiods after the initial withdrawal period (roughly one month). Some people use it in conjunction with their medications to reduce the amount of opiods they need to take. Your mileage may vary.

And that's a big reason why we get our forum to discuss all things cannabis. Pretty cool, huh?

As far as a comparison for pain management replacement (for myself of course) it's a lot closer to Aspirin.

As far as using cannabis for an opiod maintenance goes, I find it to helpful in recovery of opiods after the initial withdrawal period (roughly one month). Some people use it in conjunction with their medications to reduce the amount of opiods they need to take. Your mileage may vary.

That is very likely that it does yes -- but the people propagandising about it as an opiate alternative need to know that first generation antihistamines belladonna alkaloids, and meprobamate as well-- you are too clever by half, pot CEOs, and hurting your own cause.

Propaganda?
I think Nico is German so CD would be the CDU party over there.

I took a whole semester long class on German history post WWII in college, very interesting. The CDU had a moral majority for many years and West Germany wasn't all it was cracked up to be imo.

I think Nico is German so CD would be the CDU party over there.

I took a whole semester long class on German history post WWII in college, very interesting. The CDU had a moral majority for many years and West Germany wasn't all it was cracked up to be imo.
The Christian Democratic party is in Austria is the Österreichische Volkspartei, of which I have been a member since I was 14 years old. Most Latin American and other Continental countries have Christian Democratic parties and there was a CDU in the US which changed the name to the American Solidarity Party and I think they have several thousand members.

I use Cannabis primarily as an anti emetic and as an anti inflammatory for arthritis. To the extent that it reduces joint swelling it reduces pain. As far as actual pain goes, I find it effective in distracting from the pain.

But I’ve never needed opiates....

Tom

I use Cannabis primarily as an anti emetic and as an anti inflammatory for arthritis. To the extent that it reduces joint swelling it reduces pain. As far as actual pain goes, I find it effective in distracting from the pain.

But I’ve never needed opiates....

Tom

I know arthritis people who get quite a bit of effectiveness with CBD whilst a lot of people Δ-9-THC makes the CBD work at least twice as well

ROA and form matter a lot with cannabis and pain relief. For instance if I smoke a bunch of Sour Diesel or Headband that will do absolutely nothing for pain or bodily discomfort. But consume some heavy indica and/or heavy CBD RSO and you’ll feel pain relief. Oral cannabinoids provide much better bodily pain relief than smoked/vaporized do..

Also certain strains and/or certain growing conditions give batches of flower which have unique/niche effects. I remember one time in particular I had a really bad headache and bought some higher quality AK-47 that I’ve seen on my way back home. Soon as I smoked it, it was like my head was incased in a fluffy pillow and my headache was gone but no other pain relieving effects.

I gave some to my dad, who also has bad headaches time to time, the next morning without prompting he too exclaimed how amazing this stuff was at killing his headache.

Now to give perspective, my dad was at one point prescribed 400mg morphine (100mg morphine sulfate) and 320mg oxycodone (160mg OxyContin) a day. Plus pretty much given every other opioid under the sun in effort to take his neck and head pain away.

He eventually gave them all up because they just weren’t working. The only thing he says works is cannabis. Not great, but enough...

It all depends on the person.

-GC

He eventually gave them all up because they just weren’t working. The only thing he says works is cannabis. Not great, but enough...
Interesting as always, just curious if he tried Kratom ever? But if cannabis is providing just enough relief to you get by without suffering too much to ruin the pleasure of living then perhaps better to stay independent of addictive substances.

In a "legal" recreational cannabis state in the US, I started seeing billboards (from the cannabis industry) a couple years ago boasting about the lower rates of opiate addiction and/or prescribing (can't precisely remember, though may've been both) in states with legalized cannabis....

I suppose they want you to draw the apples-to-apples conclusion from that. But in reality its painfully obvious that the states that have legalized cannabis (or at least the ones that had by that point) were ones where opiate prescribing was always parsimonious (unlike the South) and ones that generally haven't felt the brunt of the recent opiate-use uptick (unlike Appalachia or Northern New England).

Whether the expansion of medical marijuana around 10 years ago or the more recent introduction of recreational marijuana in the last few years have actually reduced patients' opiate need (not just prescribing, since of course that's gone down in the face of hysteria) or lowered rates of illicit opiate addiction within those states, that's another issue entirely and one I doubt would demonstrate any clear-cut trade between the two.