• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis made my son hang himself

If I'm wrong then... I guess putting any positive spin on the issue is terrible, it would be much more rational to demonise death, weed and schizophrenia, along with everything else that doesn't help us live and make ourselves fatter.

fungal_one said:
We really can't be sure if cannabis contributed to this tragedy or not, but in defense of pot I'd like to say this. I honestly believe that marijuana, has not only made my life better, I think it has probably saved my life. I am an addict. The definition of addict I am going by is what I remember from some NA meetings, being that drugs/alcohol make your or someone elses life unmanagable.

This is one of the biggest points I have always disagreed with 12 Step Programs and similar philosophies on.

As far as I'm concerned, you have a drug problem when the use of that drug makes you dysfunctional and you can no longer manage your life. However, there's nothing neccessarily bad about simply being an addict. If you can manage your life and your happy, what difference does it make if you're an addict or not?

Moreso, it's ridiculous that 12 Step programs will overlook the drug use of people in methadone treatment. Methadone treatment is just more proof that managing your addiction works.

And despite everything my rehab counselors and the people at 12 Step meetings told me, I'm more successful in life now having completely abandoned the idea of quitting drugs altogether. Only now I have used drugs less over the past few years than at any other point in my life, I never use to the point of excess, and I never stick with one drug in particular. My personal life is better than at any other point in my life, my relationships with friends and family are better than at any other point in my life, and I'm doing more with work and my life in general than at any other point in my life. I have enough negative associations with excessive use that I couldn't force myself to use in a way that would have a negative impact on my life anymore. And at the rate I use, which is so infrequently, that at some point I'll just lose the urge altogether and stop completely without any conscious effort. It's nothing for me to go weeks or months without using.

depressed people are pussies

its all in your head and cannabis had nothing to do with this pussy killing himself

good riddance

i have the utmost sympathy for his family, and i can't blame them for wanting to find something simple to blame, but how ridiculous is it gonna get? now we're trying to blame POT for suicidal ideations?

people need a dose of reality and they need to stop blaming drugs for everything. the guy had something mentally wrong with him, and it was not caused by marijuana. (i don't know if pot can bring out latent mental problems, but even if it can, that problem was still there; the pot didn't bring it.)

you don't smoke pot for years and suddenly have it make you kill yourself. for all we know those years of smoking may have actually been helping him, and he may have done it years ago if he wasn't a smoker. but bottom line, i am SICK TO DEATH of POT getting blamed for shit all of a sudden.

commercials tell us that pot will make us do an array of stupid things, as well as have sex with anyone at all and run over our siblings, and now it causes suicide? what the hell, did they give up on other drugs and decide to target pot for a while? i don't see commercials telling me that smoking crack will make me eat my mother or that doing speed will make me fuck goats, but there are suddenly a million ads about the dangers of POT? good idea; let's make anti-pot commercials so the few kids dumb enough to believe them will go do some other, more dangerous drug instead.

ugh. it sickens me; they don't realize they're doing more harm than good. but hey, we need something to blame for all the world's problems. why not a plant that when smoked makes you giggle and eat cheetos? thank god they're getting the info out there before another innocent potato chip dies.

...grr.

the croydon guardian is a small-scale local newspaper.

croydon is a small-scale local city which tags onto the south of london. there's a reason none of you have ever heard of it ;)

bullshit. the father should quit bitching and blaming shit he has no fuckin clue about.

As usual, a man named Dr. Seuss has the answers. Let's stop considering this article as if it were representative of pop culture as a whole but rather... a half-illiterate British hick newspaper :)

Although ratherbewater, you have a good point but... maybe American society (whcih I assume you were addressing in your post, or even just American-ized societies) have a tendency to kill themselves off WILLINGLY. Decadence feeds pestilence and disease...without the fight for liberation, people ARE pansies. Thus, they kill themselves for no apparent reason. Thus, they demonise the SAFEST and most natural, healthy drugs - nay MEDICINES - and ignore the serious problems... Don't stop sleeping until the dogs of war have you by the throat... blame the hippies till machines enslave you in a massive field of human potatoes.... the end is nigh

the pot didnt drive him to suicide, his preexisting mental condition did,
the pot just triggered that.

this doesnt make pot bad, it makes the combination of pot & certain psychological problems bad.

the logical thing to say? dont smoke pot if you're loopy or your relatives are and you might be.

wait...so the son said he was going to kill himself...the father does nothing...the son kills himself. and its the drug's fault? he didnt even have any pot in his system at the time of death, and the tox report should cover the last couple weeks. maybe they had it wrong....maybe the cannabis helped him relax, supressed his mental problems, and kept him from killing himself...but when he stopped using it he went and hung himself. its probably not the case, but its a possibility, because cannabis can supress diseases like schitzophrenia. but the father will probably never consider this possibility, because that would mean taking the blame.

News: "Parents feel more comfortable blaming a drug on their kid's death than the kids himself because the latter means they couldn't have done anything to prevent it"

the only way i can understand marijuana being the sole cause of this guys suicide is if through his use he realised how screwed up his life was. That's not a bad thing, it's a good thing... realising that can also lead to changing your life.

"He'd told me the day before that he would eventually kill himself and I asked him not to do that to us."

..........I don't know about you guys, but if MY child said that to me, you better beleive I'd be on him like a hawk. Don't blame something that -may- have contributed to it. He knew what was going on and didn nothing. No sympathy from me.

Creakle said:
As usual, a man named Dr. Seuss has the answers. Let's stop considering this article as if it were representative of pop culture as a whole but rather... a half-illiterate British hick newspaper :)

Although ratherbewater, you have a good point but... maybe American society (whcih I assume you were addressing in your post, or even just American-ized societies) have a tendency to kill themselves off WILLINGLY. Decadence feeds pestilence and disease...without the fight for liberation, people ARE pansies. Thus, they kill themselves for no apparent reason. Thus, they demonise the SAFEST and most natural, healthy drugs - nay MEDICINES - and ignore the serious problems... Don't stop sleeping until the dogs of war have you by the throat... blame the hippies till machines enslave you in a massive field of human potatoes.... the end is nigh

Its true. Living in this secular material world, it does seem that ppl end up killing themselves or going crazy. To blame it on marijuana of course is ridiculous.

You'll be seeing people blame the world's problem more and more on crazy things as the shit starts to hit the fan. Then hopefully...a glitter of hope from the sky: LIGHTS! Aliens have come to Earth to help us, prevent WW3 and make a new human paradise!

creakle, yes. people kill themselves willingly all the time. my ex did it when we were 18. and though he felt differently, it was indeed for no good reason. there IS no good reason when you're 18 and healthy and have a good life. IMO there are very few acceptable reasons ever, period.

but we need a scapegoat because god forbid we hold anyone responsible for their actions. mommy and daddy will blame the neighbor's pet goldfish before they'll accept the truth. hell, when my ex died, they kept his nine inch nails cds for a YEAR, trying to find a way to blame trent reznor. A YEAR. if you kill yourself, on purpose, it's true that you may be sick, and that's sad and maybe could have been helped. but you still did it. music didn't, drugs didn't, the kids at school didn't.

but hey, why not blame marijuana? a plant that causes us to crave fattening foods is obviously capable of causing us to commit suicide after years of smoking it. i understand that people need that sense of assurance that something outside is to blame, instead of the person or god forbid the family, but it just makes me want to cry sometimes, the way people will do anything at all to escape responsibility. and come on, at least pick something better than pot, for fuck's sake. say he took too much acid and thought he could fly.

and maybe the pot DID trigger an illness, but after years of use i'm inclined to think it had fuckall to do with pot and was a decision made all by itself. i have four mental illnesses and smoke a lot and do a lot more than that, and i've never thought of hanging myself. drugs and mental illness don't work well, true, but if you're "loopy", that does not mean drugs will make you do something so foolish.

but hey, we all need our escapism and our security blankets. let them think a PLANT drove the guy to suicide. delusions can be so comforting.

sigh.

True. In defense of those pot-haters though (well..not in their defense really), pot IS more than just a "harmless" plant. I mean, it must be; otherwise it wouldn't get you high. I think it can introduce levels of introspection and other-worldliness into the minds of people who would rather die than confront whatever more life has to reveal to them. or something like that...