• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis: healthy benefit or deadly threat?

poledriver

Bluelighter
WITH MPS SET TO DEBATE REMOVING THE BAN, DAMIEN GAYLE LOOKS AT HOW THE PUBLIC’S VIEW OF CANNABIS HAS EVOLVED

When the first controls on cannabis were introduced in the UK, few people had ever heard of it. Occasionally a foreign visitor would be arrested with hashish – but only because it was mistaken for the much more notorious opium.
Apart from the odd tabloid scare, few saw cannabis as a serious threat. The Home Office resisted calls to ban it, while one government official dismissed it as a curiosity, “occasionally taken as an experiment by persons interested in oriental vices”.

Cannabis only appeared on the Dangerous Drugs Act 1925 as part of a deal with Egypt, which had reciprocally agreed to control coca leaves and opium. It was passed by the Commons after a five-minute debate that didn’t even mention the flowering annual.

However, on Monday, MPs will get the chance to have that debate after 221,000 people signed a petition calling for them to discuss the legalisation of the production, sale and use of cannabis. Doing so, the petition says, would save millions from police budgets and bring in millions more in taxes.

In the nine decades since it was banned, cannabis has gone from an “oriental curiosity” to Britain’s most widely used narcotic drug. About 2.2 million people in England and Wales have smoked it in the past year, down from a high of nearly 3.2 million in 2001.

In 2013, the Institute for Social and Economic Research at the University of Essex estimated that legalising cannabis would save the UK between £500m and £1.25bn in costs, while raising a tax revenue of £400m-£900m. That far outweighed estimates of the net costs of the impact on physical and mental health, ranging from zero to around £85m.

With so many people using cannabis, the real harm was in the exercising of the ban, said Jason Reed, the executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition UK.

“What the drug laws are trying to do is prevent harm by causing more of it, which doesn’t make sense,” he said.

Regulating cannabis would take the market out of the hands of criminals, Reed argued. It would also protect children by ensuring age checks were in place.

“[Cannabis] is controlled by the worst people, the hardest criminals,” he said. “It can only go up from this point if you want to reduce harms.”

But the government is against liberalisation, with ministers’ response to the petition being that cannabis can “unquestionably cause harm to individuals and society”.

Mary Brett, of the Cannabis Skunk Sense charity, supports that view. A biology teacher for about 30 years, she said the worst effects of cannabis were on the young.

Cont -

http://tophealthlogics.com/cannabis-healthy-benefit-or-deadly-threat/

Do it Britain!
The wave is here - be a part of it.
Save money, save people's lives.
This is part of the freedom to pursue happiness.
Allow people to live freely, and they will return their trust.

Considering the muppet they've just put in charge of the AMCD I doubt anything productive will come of this; they're a bunch of cunts.

Edit ; this is also very old news I believe (2 weeks ago).

Last edited:
Hey slim,

I reluctantly agree that it should be done. But my kids will not be partaking until they are old to enough to understand the risks.

^ I am with you on that, Ho-Chi-Minh.
Best to wait until they are 21 to use any drugs, imo, though this is socially unlikely.
But, if I have to choose, I feel it is better for them to be smoking weed when they are 18 than drinking alcohol.

Considering the muppet they've just put in charge of the AMCD I doubt anything productive will come of this; they're a bunch of cunts.

Edit ; this is also very old news I believe (2 weeks ago).

2 weeks old is very old news? The article date says it was posted on the 1st of Nov, 2 days ago. It may well have been in other MSM 2 weeks ago. I dont really care, but I do try and post stuff that has recently been posted.

As for age of using weed and other drugs, I think 18. But that's just me. I started at 17 (slowly) and 17/18/19/20 were so much fun. We didnt use alcohol much, mainly weed, lsd, mdxx and speed. All in moderation tho, just small amounts really. I wouldnt change a thing, but I do understand people dont wont their children using weed or other drugs too early on in their lives.

Last edited:
I don't see why people think it would suddenly be different than the currently legal and regulated rec. drugs. 18 or 21 depending on the location for cannabis as well. Of course, some people will find a way to use at a younger age, but you can't really stop it completely.

@poledriver I didn't mean to cause offence I'm just saying I think "Monday's debate" they're referring to was Monday 12th October which as per usual never amounted to anything sensible happening.

No worries mate, I sounded a bit defensive there hey! lol.

In terms of cannabis being kept illegal in the UK and here in Australia and all the other places in the world, it just seems like madness. Hopefully in the next few years we see more really big changes in the law in many places. We can only hope.

I'm so sick of being allowed to buy as much alcohol and tobacco as I wont to every day of the year but I cant buy cannabis at all anywhere anytime (legally). That is fucked.

I think once the US legalizes it federally, which I believe will happen soon, many other countries will follow suit.

^ I am pretty sure that is what will happen.
The U.S. is the main cause of the illegality of cannabis across the world, after all, since it pressured other countries to follow suit.
When that main link comes tumbling down, I expect others to go as well.

I don't see it happening in the US anytime soon. Politicians care little for the average american...they care about their special interest groups and the DEA being funded.

Who would fill our privately owned prisons that Politicians get fed money from? Who would drop billions of dollars on a DEA so they can control the citizens...if it wasn't for prohibition a huge chunk of government/ campaign finance would evaporate pretty quickly. Also rehab is big business here. Look at all the privately owned rehabs just in florida...they also lobby/bribe the government to keep that revolving door of "cannabis addiction" open. The rehab I went to specialized in opiates, benzos, and cocaine/speed. They shut their doors to all the people in jail trying to go into a program because they caught a weed charge.

The only politician who actually wants to have a serious discussion about marijuana reform is bernie sanders, and if you look at his campaign contributers (which must be made public) most of them are smaller donations from individual citizens. The rest of the politicians have been endorsed by quite a few of the people that benefit from prohibition of marijuana.

We all know that ending the war of pot would be a boon financially for the people, and if we know the governments of many countries must know as well...however stopping prohibition gives money back to the people, not to the special interest groups lobbying against it.

This all is sickening. We have a pay to play government...I wish I could start a superpac like citizens united (most horrible name for a superpac) except actually make it help the people.

I don't see it happening in the US anytime soon. Politicians care little for the average american...they care about their special interest groups and the DEA being funded.

Who would fill our privately owned prisons that Politicians get fed money from? Who would drop billions of dollars on a DEA so they can control the citizens...if it wasn't for prohibition a huge chunk of government/ campaign finance would evaporate pretty quickly. Also rehab is big business here. Look at all the privately owned rehabs just in florida...they also lobby/bribe the government to keep that revolving door of "cannabis addiction" open. The rehab I went to specialized in opiates, benzos, and cocaine/speed. They shut their doors to all the people in jail trying to go into a program because they caught a weed charge.

The only politician who actually wants to have a serious discussion about marijuana reform is bernie sanders, and if you look at his campaign contributers (which must be made public) most of them are smaller donations from individual citizens. The rest of the politicians have been endorsed by quite a few of the people that benefit from prohibition of marijuana.

We all know that ending the war of pot would be a boon financially for the people, and if we know the governments of many countries must know as well...however stopping prohibition gives money back to the people, not to the special interest groups lobbying against it.

This all is sickening. We have a pay to play government...I wish I could start a superpac like citizens united (most horrible name for a superpac) except actually make it help the people.

I still believe in people. If the average American wakes up and starts understanding that cannabis should be legal, the change will happen. That small group can't stand against the people if a big portion of them believes it should be legal. I mean if like 70-80% of people believe in legalization and it's not done... welcome to dictatorship.