Recruiting Cannabis and Mental Health Study

crarnett

Greenlighter
link: https://asuclas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6FisJSHhN4wPCUl

I am a graduate student at Arizona State University and our team is interested in comparing the immediate and longer-term effects of substance use and mental health.

If you are a current cannabis user, please take our roughly 30 minute online survey and be entered into a raffle to win one of three Amazon $25 gift cards. Participation is voluntary and anonymous.

More information about this study can be found by clicking on this link: https://asuclas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6FisJSHhN4wPCUl

If you have any direct questions, you may contact me at [email protected] through the Bluelight’s private messaging system.

Please note the following: Participants must be at least 18 years old and live in the United States. Data collection begins March 2020. This research has been reviewed and approved by the Social Behavioral Institutional Review Board (IRB).

Thank you in advance and again, please let me know if you have any questions! I greatly appreciate your participation!

Best,

Ciera Arnett

Welcome and I gave this a whirl. Just a heads up their is one duplicate question. You could also eliminate many later questions based off submissions to earlier ones, If a participant has not used one of the substance categories in the last year then they will automatically have no use history for the previous three months, streamlining the process for volunteers. The question about telepathy messed with me as it did not distinguish between natural and artificial so I found it difficult to answer. Good luck with the study.

Last edited:
Thank you so so much for taking the survey. Do you happen to know what the duplicate question is?

Sorry, I should have written it down. I believe it's a third and fourth question, at least half way through. I and other staff here are commonly willing to take surveys prelaunch to look for glitches and provide feedback, Tronica director of research would be who to contact if that interests you.

EDIT: another part that was unclear to me was the daily use amounts, were you looking for current use, past use or what an occasional use person uses in a day?

Last edited:
Oh wow, what a great resource- thank you so much! I have had my research assistants take it a few times, but things always seem to slip through the cracks.

The daily use amounts should be what you use in a TYPICAL day...I believe that's mentioned on the survey, but can be easily overlooked. I can go back and try to edit it for clarity.

Do you have any idea what the gist of the question was? Was it related to mental health, cannabis, or other substance use? Anything you can remember at all is helpful and then I can hunt down the question.

The daily use amounts should be what you use in a TYPICAL day...I believe that's mentioned on the survey, but can be easily overlooked. I can go back and try to edit it for clarity.

I understand now, the source of my confusion is that my typical day has significantly changed during periods of my life and I did not know which periods you were looking into. When I get a min I will retake this and if it presents itself again note the duplicate and relay it to you. Happy to help :)

Last edited:
No worries- your confusion makes a lot of sense, and I can talk with my professor about clarifying the language. No need to retake it! There's always going to be some user error and we try to account for that...plus, if you're using the same IP, I don't believe the survey will allow you to retake it. I really really appreciate your help- it's seriously priceless.

Thanks for posting your survey.
By your comment we can see that the survey is collecting IP addresses, I assume to reduce chances of people doing survey multiple times to get more chances in the prize draw.
But for people in our community who are self reporting illegal behaviour, collection of IP addresses is risky as this data could be used as evidence to identify someone.
I'd strongly recommend making the survey completely anonymous...

Hi there,

I appreciate your concern. IP addresses are not accessible by me or anyone else, and are only collected on the back end of Qualtrics to prevent "ballot box stuffing." The survey is programmed to be 100% anonymous, and IP addresses are de-identified from any survey information. The Institutional Review Board at Arizona State University has verified this and approved that this survey is completely anonymous, with no identifiable information (including IP addresses) being accessible to anyone.
If you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Thank you!