• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canadians bought just $1.2-billion worth of legal weed in 2019, but sales ended the year strong

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Canadians bought just $1.2-billion worth of legal weed in 2019, but sales ended the year strong
Vanmala Subramaniam
Financial Post
February 21st, 2020
Canadians spent $1.2 billion on non-medical cannabis in the first full calendar year since legalization, a number that fell well short of expectations but that appears set to grow significantly in 2020.

A disproportionate amount of sales took place in the latter half of 2019, as supply chain hiccups were smoothed out and the number of retail stores increased across the country.

Statistics Canada data showed cannabis sales in December climbed 8.1 per cent from a month earlier to $146 million, the third straight month in a row sales have increased.

The biggest gains came from Ontario, Quebec and Alberta.

Ontarians bought $33.7-million worth of legal weed, up 6.6 per cent from the month before, while Quebeckers purchased $33.5-million of cannabis, an increase of 12 per cent from November.
Read the full story here.

Interesting numbers, looking at the value purchased in Ontario vs Quebec where Quebec's purchases total just 200K less than Ontario's with something like 55-60% of the population.

Do Quebecois smoke more weed than us or do we have more illegal sources? Or both?

Legal cannabis is much cheaper in Quebec.

How does that work? I thought all taxes on ganj were federally determined and the suppliers are all the same, are they not?

I don't touch weed so I don't know much about it, to be honest. I know what a g cost back in 2004, but that's about it.

How does that work? I thought all taxes on ganj were federally determined and the suppliers are all the same, are they not?
The taxes are the same, but each province independently negotiates prices with suppliers and retailers set their own prices as well. Quebec has a bulk-discount advantage because the public Société québécoise du cannabis is the only wholesaler and retailer.

Growing your own is still illegal in Quebec, too. You can have up to four per household in Ontario.