• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Can you truly respect someone who claims religion?

We moved past a lot of bad ideas over the last couple thousand years, almost all of them are acceptable at one point or another in all of the scriptures. religion is just something that continues to redefine itself based on where the wind is blowing, does this seem like something you should allow yourself to be 'governed' by?

Not believing in 'any of these' does not make YOU you OWN higher power by default if you choose to accept there is no 'higher power' if you choose to accept you just ARE. Whay is so terrifying about that? Are you scared that you will run amok and slay eveyone and everything around you? The who, what, and whys, of what exactly in the fuck we are doing here have nothing to do with a bunch of bullshit that was written down two thousand years ago.

Make up your own story about why you are here and then go out and live it, have the self respect to be goverened by your own sense of morality and for fuck sake dont hurt anybody or cause too much damage in the process. Get as much joy and cause as little pain as you can while you are here and dont feel the need to justify yourself to anyone or anything you dont personally know and love.

Its ok to challenge your beliefs, its ok to challenge other peoples beliefs as well. Who knows you might actually get through to someone.

beliefs only mattter when a person tries to push theirs forcefully onto others. in that regard, you are no different to religious people who do that.

p.s. there's an edit button, you know. there's no need to spam reply after reply.

beliefs only mattter when a person tries to push theirs forcefully onto others. in that regard, you are no different to religious people who do that.

p.s. there's an edit button, you know. there's no need to spam reply after reply.

L2R speaks the truth

Last edited:
Sorry for the spam kept getting signed out on my long winded tirades, I hope I'm not forcing anything on anybody thats certainly not my intent. Just wanted to get my point across and it seems like when you are asking people to really examine their so called religious convictions ... anyways it doesn't look like too many people really give a shit one way or the other so maybe I'll start a cult

I can't lie to you Birch your posts are certainly interesting and I agree with a lot of what you have to say. Just not everything.

How can you respect yourself for being 'governed' by a belief system that you can define, quantify, qualify, or prove?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this - for me I tend towards "How can you respect yourself for being 'governed' by a belief system that you CAN'T define, quantify, qualify, or prove?"

You seem to be saying we should be governed by unknowables...

Am I misunderstanding?

Yes, intentionally it would seem. Imagine I was getting deep into my inner pill popper and missed a crucial T and not having a last minute religious epiphany

Not intentionally, just reading what was there and it didn't seem to fit, so i asked...

How can you respect yourself for being 'governed' by a belief system that you can define, quantify, qualify, or prove?

Kind of missing the point. The only way it can be proved to yourself is throuh deep mystical experiences which are completely subjective and private to yourself and can't really be shared with others. You can tell them about it but that doesn't make it true to them and they need to find their own way (or not) to verify it to themselves.

The last time I experienced a really strong connection with God was about a month ago after I had a very strong trusting thought and it was like I was lifted up by this powerful energy and surrouded by this protective energy field. It just drowned out everything else and everything just seemed very unreal and irrelevant in comparison. Because it's all made up by much weaker energies which don't matter as much in the great picture and only have temporary, or illusory, existence.

But being completely drawn in by the illusions of this world to the point you can't see beyond it (also including "religious texts") doesn't really make someone "realistic", or only in their limited material outlook.

Last edited:
Of course! There is also a lot of positive / negative energies coming out of us as a group, as an individual. This is scientific but can always be related to religion.
My grandmother had always been a religious person, but never ever discarded the energy that comes out of us and make the environment you live better or not so much.
Everything in the world is somehow connected. Globalization, religions, science and even human rights. I´ve heard of great scientists in Scandinavian countries helping officially other countries in Africa because they believe that´s the right thing to do. Ethically speaking and even spiritually speaking these individuals save lives everyday. It does not matter for me if they believe or don´t believe in God. They believe in helping the needed ones. Without getting nothing back.
I could go on on and on. But very shortly speaking I think human being in general has to be open minded and mature to do good things for their families, country, and to the others.
After all we are not robots trying to live our own life regardless of anything but ourselves, that by far, the wrong definition of us as a person.

Kind of missing the point. The only way it can be proved to yourself is throuh deep mystical experiences which are completely subjective and private to yourself and can't really be shared with others. You can tell them about it but that doesn't make it true to them and they need to find their own way (or not) to verify it to themselves.

The last time I experienced a really strong connection with God was about a month ago after I had a very strong trusting thought and it was like I was lifted up by this powerful energy and surrouded by this protective energy field. It just drowned out everything else and everything just seemed very unreal and irrelevant in comparison. Because it's all made up by much weaker energies which don't matter as much in the great picture and only have temporary, or illusory, existence.

But being completely drawn in by the illusions of this world to the point you can't see beyond it (also including "religious texts") doesn't really make someone "realistic", or only in their limited material outlook.

Have your pets spayed or neutered