• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can xanax cause weight loss?

DanaH

Greenlighter
I started taking xanax about a month ago on an as needed basis for anxiety. I would say I take it 3-4 times a week and I take .5mg which seems to work well. I've noticed I've been losing weight the past few weeks. I have severe hormone deficiencies due to a pituitary disease and have NEVER lost weight without trying extremely hard. I'm overweight now but my weight's been stable at that for the past few years. I haven't changed eating habits (which admittedly aren't very good ) and have not increased exercise recently. I walk a lot but have been for a while. The only lifestyle change I can think of is that I started taking the xanax but I don't see a lot of info saying it can cause weight loss. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm happy to be losing weight but it doesn't seem natural for me, so I am curious.

All drugs and their effects are subjective but from my anecdotal and personal observations and experience, Xanax actually gives my munchies, and then I forget about eating them ;-).

It may be that you were snacking due to your anxiety, when you snack like that it often doesn't register as a meal or even that you have eaten. Now that the anxiety has been removed you have no reason to snack or your more mindful when you do eat - this could itself be a factor into the weight loss.

Weight Loss is listed as one of the more common side effects of Xanax

More common:
Absent, missed, or irregular menstrual periods
decreased appetite
decreased interest in sexual intercourse
decreased sexual performance or desire abnormal ejaculation
difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
inability to have or keep an erection
increased appetite
increased in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
increased interest in sexual intercourse
increased weight
loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
stopping of menstrual bleeding
watering of mouth
weight loss

I would monitor your weight loss over a few weeks and then check with your doctor.

Inwas a bag of bones on xanax 3-4 times a day though it was more because of my body and mental shealth being in the trash bin

my shrink keep an eye on my weight since ive been on Xanax for a couple years, tho they do make me wanna eat. i'm like 15lb heavier than ever in my life /shrug

I tend to find that I eat more healthily on xanax, which has caused me to lose weight when taking it excessively.

That totally makes sense about anxiety and snacking...I am definitely a stress eater and like some of you suggested, may not have even noticed a decrease in eating. I guess everyone reacts differently to their anxiety! Thanks for the feedback.

Bearlove is right. Anxiety does make you lose weight really fast. I suggest to discuss this with your doctor.