• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Can Psychedelics Target Overly Rigid Brain Networks?

SteamboatBillJr

Bluelighter
PsychCongress Network said:
Can Psychedelics Target Overly Rigid Brain Networks?
by Andrew Penn, RN, MS, NP, CNS, APRN-BC

APenn%20150x150.jpg

In this series of blog entries, I am discussing the emerging data on using psychedelic compounds, such as psilocybin (the active ingredient in “magic mushrooms”) and 3,4 methyelenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, commonly referred to as “ecstasy”) as a means of catalyzing psychotherapeutic change.

The idea of using these drugs as catalysts for psychotherapeutic change challenges the historic assumption that these drugs are mere intoxicants, and it also challenges biological psychiatry’s predominant orientation towards mental disease as something that is managed or palliated, but not cured.

The conditions for which psychedelics have been researched as treatments are a curious collection of seemingly unrelated disease states—posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), alcohol and nicotine dependence, and anxiety experienced by patients with terminal illness. What do these conditions have in common, and what is it about these psychedelic drugs that might account for their beneficial effects?

British neuroscientist Robin Carhart-Harris, PhD, made a compelling and intriguing hypothesis for this mechanism of benefit in a 2014 article entitled “The entropic brain: a theory of conscious states informed by neuroimaging with psychedelic drugs,” (1) in which he uses the measurement of entropy within brain network activity as a means of understanding the relative rigidity of different states of consciousness.

He hypothesizes that certain psychiatric disease states, such as depression, OCD, and substance use disorders, represent an overly constrained and rigid pattern of functional brain network activity. I call these conditions “diseases of excessive psychic rigidity.”

Dr. Carhart-Harris and his team have discovered that psychedelic drugs, such as psilocybin, may have the ability to temporarily disrupt these patterns, and when combined with a controlled psychotherapeutic experience, may produce changes in perception and behavior that persist long after the drug has worn off.

Through use of fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) and MEG (magnetoencephalography) scanning, Dr. Carhart-Harris and his colleagues have been able to study the stability of functional brain networks, such as the normally competitive relationship between the default mode network and the task-positive network. Studies suggest that psilocybin disrupts this normal competitive pattern.

The task positive network is a problem solving, externally focused network comprised of the salience network (which determines what needs to be dealt with in the environment) and executive network (which determines what to do with this information). The structures involved with these networks, represented by the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, lateral parietal cortex, and subgenual anterior cingular cortex, lie laterally in the brain.

Along the midline, the default mode networkis more inwardly directed and is activated when we are introspective, engaged in theory of mind (ostensibly, empathy), or navigating complex social interactions. These midline structures consist of the mediotemporal lobe, the posterior cingulate cortex, the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, and the dorsomedial prefrontal cortex.

It is important to understand that these two networks normally work in opposition to one another, so that when one is turned up, the other is turned down, like two sides of a seesaw. In a non-depressed brain, the ability to shift between these networks should be relatively easy.

For example, when one is “lost in one’s work,” the dominance of the task positive network over the default mode network is evident. Conversely, when one is engaged in inward-focused activity, such as meditation or reminiscing, there is little external work being done.

However, in the context of depression it appears that the introspective capacity of the default mode network becomes “stuck” in a ruminative mode, and that this rigidity prevents the task positive network from working normally. I translate this to patients with depression by explaining that this is why they can spend all day thinking negatively about themselves but cannot shift focus and respond to all those emails that have been piling up. This hijacking of the default mode network by rumination has been called “pathological introspection” and this rigidity of network activity in depression has been referred to as “overstability.” (2-7)

In the case of PTSD, the limbic structures of the brain that exist to alert us to danger (amygdala) and rally a protective response against a threat become persistently activated, leading to hypervigilance. In addition, structures that help us put information in context (hippocampus) are underactivated, leading to misperception of neutral stimuli as threats. Thus, the brain loses the ability to “put the brakes” on an overly excited limbic system as the medial prefrontal cortex loses the ability to exert top-down inhibition of these responses. Not surprisingly, activity in the default mode network decreases (probably resulting in difficulties with social cognition and introspection) while activity in the salience networks increases. (8-11)

In my next blog entry, I’ll discuss how psilocybin may disrupt these overly rigid brain networks, and how this effect may be leveraged to help people change “stuck” behaviors such as OCD, alcohol or tobacco dependence, or anxiety at the end of life. I’ll also discuss how MDMA may help to reduce some of this limbic hyperactivity, allowing for an enduring reprocessing of traumatic memories.

So stay tuned, and if this topic interests you, I hope you’ll join me in San Diego at the U.S. Psychiatric Mental Health Congress where I’ll be presenting a talk entitled “Re-imagining a brave new world: Can psychedelics be catalysts for therapy?”

References

1. Carhart-Harris et al. The entropic brain: a theory of conscious states informed by neuroimaging with psychedelic drugs. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 2014 Feb 3;8:20. http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnhum.2014.00020/full

2. Raichle R et al. PNAS. 2001;98(2).

3. Sheline et al. PNAS. 2009;106(6).

4. Leech et al. PLOS ONE. 2014;9(6).

5. Carhart-Harris et al. PNAS. 2012;109(6).

6. Maletic, Psych Congress Network Accessed 4/13/15 http://www.psychcongress.com/blogs/...2-1234pm/role-default-mode-network-depression.

7. Sood A et al. Explore. 2013;9:136-141.

8. Shin LM et al. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;35(1):169-191.

9. Jovanovic T et al. Front Behav Neurosci. 2011;5:44.

10. Sripada RK et al. Psychosom Med. 2012;74(9):904-911.

11. van der Kolk B. The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma. New York, NY: Viking;2014.

http://www.psychcongress.com/blogs/...ychedelics-target-overly-rigid-brain-networks

I like some good clean L as much as the next guy, but sometimes I think people get a little too excited about psychedelics and their potential.

Trip balls, see some shit, hear some tunes, dance, go home.

MDMA therapy seems like a joke to me. Everything about the experience is fake. Every bit of progress you made when you are feeling good is entirely negated by the ensuing crash and feeling like shit for the next few days after.

The logic behind MDMA therapy makes sense to me. If someone can formulate meaning out of an experience that they had previously been unable to process due to persistent fear, I would imagine that could lead to potential long-term improvement.

The logic behind MDMA therapy makes sense to me. If someone can formulate meaning out of an experience that they had previously been unable to process due to persistent fear, I would imagine that could lead to potential long-term improvement.

If you had never used it and used it one time and never again, maybe.

I like some good clean L as much as the next guy, but sometimes I think people get a little too excited about psychedelics and their potential.

MDMA therapy seems like a joke to me. Everything about the experience is fake. Every bit of progress you made when you are feeling good is entirely negated by the ensuing crash and feeling like shit for the next few days after.

I am kinda with you here.

We seem to think psychedelics get us "in tune" with the universe and helps us feel non-duality and it's so spiritual and blah blah blah.... but at the end of the day, it's just a drug; a chemical reacting in your brain. No different than coke, dope, or alcohol.

I get it. It can get a person to turn spiritual. But it can also cause a person to become psychotic. We don't know enough about these substances because of the unfortunate ban on psychedelic research years ago.

The potential could be there- but how or what or when- i don't know. I do think it needs to be looked into further- but I don't see it as a "magic bullet" at this time.

Yeah, it's a drug. But is it really no different from other drugs? To put it another way, is cocaine no different from alcohol? Is heroin no different from caffeine? Is nicotine no different from salvia? They're all drugs but their effects are markedly different.

One can definitely believe in the possible therapeutic benefits of psychedelics without buying into spiritual/metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. I'm an atheist and I believe that the applications of drugs like psilocybin in helping alleviate treatment-resistant depression is very promising.

I found the not-official MDMA PTSD therapy I did to be really helpful - not because it made me feel good, but because it allowed me to talk through some experiences that I can't talk about without getting super triggered and fucked up. You're right that it wasn't permanent (I still can't talk about those things) but talking through them on MDMA was the first time I'd been able to discuss them with another person without completely freaking out and dissociating. I found it a really valuable experience and I think it contributed to me recovering to the extent that I have.

I have fairly severe OCD. I don't like MDMA anymore, and generally because of the panic disorder I have severely bad trips on acid...but I do enjoy mushrooms. I would be willing to give this a shot in a clinical environment if it would help with the OCD...I am on disability for it due to its extreme nature and I would love a shot at a normal thought pattern, even if it only lasts for a little while.

That is definitely a very close-minded view on things. I think there's a difference between using LSD to "get fucked up, see some shit, dance and have fun" and to self-explore, analyze your life and self etc. I've always been a lone tripper, so I haven't done the former way of doing LSD. Doing it alone though, I had nothing else to do than think about my life and what I'm doing from a very different and skewed angle. And at the time it certainly did help me change my life in a lasting way. Although I'm opposed to the notion that LSD is the ultimate cure for mental problems; yes, I did get something out of it, but it didn't last longer than 3-4 months. That doesn't mean though that in the right conditions and the right dose with the right mindset, done over a period of time, it can't be therapeutical.

I can't speak on behalf of MDMA because I've never done it, but from what I've read on it, I think we shouldn't just discard the possibility. I mean think about dissociatives and their therapeutical potential, I personally wouldn't have imagined that they'd have one.

Also saying that all drugs are basically the same and useless because they're just some chemical altering processes in the brain is nothing short of nonsense. As neurotic said, everything in our brain is just chemistry and different drugs affect it in very different ways. All these talk therapies or whatever still do the same thing drugs do - they're aimed at changing the chemistry of the brain. The difference is they use other tools: sound waves, electromagnetic waves (what you see) and so on. Who's to say a chemical substance is inferior to that?

So what I'm saying is just because these drugs are used by people mostly looking to get "fucked up"/abuse the drug it doesn't mean they don't have therapeutical potentials within clinical settings. Keep an open mind.

There were repeated invalid War on Drugs attacks against the medicinal value of psychedelics in years gone by.

Now objective evidence exists supporting the medicinal value of MDMA.

prepost_results_simple.jpg

MAPS said:
83% of the subjects receiving MDMA-assisted psychotherapy in a pilot study no longer met the criteria for PTSD, and every patient who received a placebo and then went on to receive MDMA-assisted psychotherapy experienced significant and lasting improvements.

These results were published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

A long-term follow-up of patients who received MDMA-assisted psychotherapy revealed that overall benefits were maintained an average of 3.8 years later.

These extremely powerful results indicate a promising future for MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD and lay the groundwork for continued research into the safest and most effective ways to administer the treatment.
http://www.mdmaptsd.org/research-category.html

^^^This is awesome. PTSD is no joke. I was in rehab with a guy that had PTSD. He would wake up screaming quite a bit, and was always on edge. I would hate to live that way. In fact we had one whole day in rehab devoted to learning about PTSD and hyper vigilance. Very enlightening. I say if it helps people this drastically, why not allow it?