• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can opiate pain killers be created without the euphoria side effect?

cr250owner

Bluelighter
I'm curious if the scientists who make the opiate pain killers could somehow remove whatever it is that causes the oh so wonderful euphoria most of us love.

Of course it wouldn't make most of us happy if they did so, but i ask this because wouldn't that be the ultimate anti-abuse cure?

More than likely though it just has something to do with the brains chemistry and nothing can be done, but I wanna know what you guys think?

if it was an opiate it would always have some potential at being abused. if it were some other class of strong new painkiller it would have potential.

i think it helps the with the pain relief, if you're using it as prescribed as not abusing, then i think it helps mask the pain more, takes your mind off of it.

if it was an opiate it would always have some potential at being abused. if it were some other class of strong new painkiller it would have potential.

My real question is.. is it possible for scientists to remove the euphoria that comes along with pain killers? or add another drug into the mix that blocks euphoria?

My real question is.. is it possible for scientists to remove the euphoria that comes along with pain killers? or add another drug into the mix that blocks euphoria?

im curious too. just a pill that doesn't put you in a good mood, just blocks the pain receptors...but what about the feeling of being warm and comfortable, you want that gone too?

im curious too. just a pill that doesn't put you in a good mood, just blocks the pain receptors...but what about the feeling of being warm and comfortable, you want that gone too?

LOL in no way do i want the euphoria or that warm and comfy feeling gone. I'm sure no one on this website WANTS the euphoria to be taken away lol.

I'm just asking if it's possible because if oxy only relieved pain but didn't make the patient feel euphoric wouldn't this lead to lower rates of addiction and dependency? I know drug companies "do their best" to make their product harder to abuse but if they somehow eliminated the euphoria, wouldn't that eliminate abuse altogether? I know there are people who are legitimately DEPENDENT on pain medicines to manage there pain, but there are also just as many pain patients who are dependent on the euphoria just as much as the pain relief.

Or do the drug companies just not care because euphoria leads to addiction, and addiction leads to more pills, and more pills leads to BIG $$$ for the manufactures and doctors.

off the top of my head, Suboxone comes to mind...after a few recreational doses, abusers have reported no euphoria. Its sucky because its still addictive too.

Don't you mean the side effect of PAIN REDUCTION?

:)

I agree that the euphoria is an integral part of the pain reduction process - I think the pills are designed to be a one-two punch of actually stopping pain AND making you just not care so much/relieve stress. The narcotic is what does that.

In a sense, Tylenol is exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes Tylenol has worked to get rid of pain (especially with toothaches, for some reason), but there is no secondary effect.

Which is why there are no Tylenol junkies!

For me the euphoria also plays a big role in masking my pain. I don't have an adictive personality and never had an addiction problem with any of the drugs Iv'e done. For some one like me it'd do more harm than good.

IMO... opiates both relieve pain and produce a euphoria that makes any residual pain more tolerable. If you take tylenol and it does not relieve your pain 100%, what pain is left can still be hard to put up with. That's rarely the case with opiates and it's what makes them superior.

off the top of my head, Suboxone comes to mind...after a few recreational doses, abusers have reported no euphoria. Its sucky because its still addictive too.

this is what I was going to say.

methadone to a point too.

and you shouldn't have euphoria from opiates if you take the recommended dose which is only strong enough to kill the pain and not give you euphoria. the euphoria comes when you take a larger dose than needed.

That's not necessarily true, I've felt a buzz from LESS than the recommended dosage, even with a tolerance built up.

It's subtle, but there. I'd be willing to bet that's true for most people.

the painkilling effect of opiates is mostly at the Mu receptor..which is also the receptor that when agonized it can and most usually does cause euphoria. i suppose maybe it would be possible but I have no idea how.

Naloxone.

it's used in suboxone but don't know exactly how it acts. to my understanding it blocks the opiate receptors? (prob wrong)

but anyways if it blocks the euphoria why is it not incorporated to other pain killers?

For me the euphoria also plays a big role in masking my pain. I don't have an adictive personality and never had an addiction problem with any of the drugs Iv'e done. For some one like me it'd do more harm than good.

I agree just like a lot of you that the euphoria helps in the pain or by just taking your mind from the pain BUT.....

Is that euphoria intended to be there? for the patients benefit? (in terms of pain)

or is it simply a side effect that is JUST THERE by accident?