• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can my sub doctor see my hospital records?

Liquidloop

Greenlighter
Hi all, this is only my second post on here so forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere and I have failed to locate it. I am in recovery and have been for a year and a few months, but my journey has not been free of relapse. Last week I ended up using dope and some hard, and yesterday I took 2mg of Valium after spending the last 48 hours being in and out of what felt like a never ending panic attack. I have struggled with anxiety for a very long time but am not prescribed benzos for obvious reasons, even though I have never abused them in the same way I have other substances.

I just completed outpatient late last month but still see my suboxone doctor monthly to have a new script written, and am soon to be starting their suboxone aftercare group. My appointment with my doctor is Thursday morning, and I am not quite sure what to do because it is likely that I will be expected to give a screen even though this was not the norm while I was going to outpatient weekly because I was screened then (in group). I am in outpatient by choice, but if I do have to take a screen my doctor has the option to stop prescribing to me because this is not the first time I have relapsed, and I really don't have another option at the moment. I don't like lying, but I'm not sure what else to do right now.

Obviously I should have just not used knowing what the consequences would be if I were to be screened, but we all know how that goes sometimes. I am considering telling him that I admitted myself to the ED or urgent care for physical symptoms that I was not aware were caused by anxiety, and that while there was given the Valium. He knows I have an extensive history of anxiety, so I figured this would be somewhat believable compared to other bs excuses. If I do decide to go this route, I first would like to know what the chances are that he would be able to look into my story as far as having been treated with Valium while in the hospital. From our conversations in the past I know that my doctor uses an electronic program to write prescriptions and can look back on everything I have been prescribed in the past.

tl;dr - My question is could he with this program or database see if I was in fact given/prescribed Valium? When treated for something like this in a hospital, would a single dose (like for a panic attack) be noted in this type of database? Or would that really only be true if I was prescribed Valium to bring home with me?

I really do not like lying and having to cover my tracks like this, but I am a student and if I don't have a legitimate excuse and do have to give a screen that could mean either that I am forced to immediately detox from the suboxone or that in order to remain on it I must restart outpatient (which would mean I would have to drop my classes most likely.) :(

I am aware how shitty the situation is and that I should not have slipped, just looking for a straightforward answer on my doctor's ability to view things like this. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I highly doubt it. Sub doctors don't want to kick you off because then they don't get paid

if you do piss dirty just be straight up with them and be like "sorry I fucked up" and they shouldn't kick you out if it is your first time pissing dirty

I gave a dirty urine just about every time to my sub doctor and she just gave me a scripted "bad dog!" speech and still gave me subs

It is unlikely your buprenorphine prescriber will kick you off the program for your first dirty UA. I think it is safe to work off of the assumption that, if he relies on said program, there is a record of anything controlled that has been prescribed by a doctor to you. Whether he has looked at it is up to him though.

This thread may get closed down because we don't allow questions on BL that get into legal issues, which unfortunately your PMP get awful close to. We also don't do drug testing/UA discussion questions, which yours also gets close to. You can always edit your OP to avoid the BLUA issues or start a new thread that avoid them altogether if this gets closed. Sorry OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't get kicked out for 1 dirty ua. Like others said it's about money. I doubt you even get ua'd

If I'm thinking of the same rx database you are, that database records prescriptions you've filled from all your docs over the years. I don't believe that database includes meds that a person takes while in the hospital. If they prescribed you Valium when you left the hospital, that is something that would be in the database.
If your test comes back positive for benzos and you have the hospital records/ER visit paperwork to show what you went there for and that you only received the Valium while in the hospital I don't see why they'd kick you out of the program.

If I'm thinking of the same rx database you are, that database records prescriptions you've filled from all your docs over the years. I don't believe that database includes meds that a person takes while in the hospital. If they prescribed you Valium when you left the hospital, that is something that would be in the database.
If your test comes back positive for benzos and you have the hospital records/ER visit paperwork to show what you went there for and that you only received the Valium while in the hospital I don't see why they'd kick you out of the program.

I imagine it depends heavily on the state. My states pmp doesn't show people on methadone maintenance even though you would think that would be a big deal. Either way I wouldn't lose sleep over the situation OP. Sub docs are a dime a dozen these days even if he goes full asshole

I was gonna bring up the issue of the Rx databases b/c that bit me in the ass when I got on subs. It pissed me off to no end. But one saving grace: to the best of my knowledge, each of these databases is state-run, and the information in them does not cross state lines without a subpoena.