View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Can I quit smoking? My habit of a lifetime is going up in smoke

poledriver

Bluelighter
Can I quit smoking? My habit of a lifetime is going up in smoke

424635-5cd8737e-4aa3-11e4-9e77-7409857ba1a2.jpg

For far too long, it’s been my dirty little secret. A shameful habit I’ve tried to keep hidden, leaving me to feed my furious addiction in private. So let me just take a deep breath and confess.

I am a smoker.

And not just a cheeky-ciggie-with-a-glass-of-chardy-on-a-Friday-night sort of a smoker.

I mean the full-blown, pack-a-day, gasping-for-air-when-I-wake-up-in-the-morning, this-is-definitely-going-to-kill-me-if-I-don’t-stop kind.

And I do want to stop. I honestly, desperately do.

In fact for the last few years I’ve been in a constant state of “trying to quit” which, most giver-upper-ers will tell you, can feel like a frustrating merry-go-round of failure. I have tried absolutely everything: nicotine gum, patches, inhalers and the lozenges. I’ve seen three different hypnotherapists, two acupuncturists and a psychotherapist.

Doctors have prescribed me heavy-duty smoking-cessation drugs which, while they worked for a while, gave me shocking nightmares and mood swings. I’ve indulged in a health retreat and countless bizarre Chinese therapies which left me hundreds of dollars poorer… and, dishearteningly, still craving a ciggie.

I’ve seen the depressing stats, I know the risks. So how did a (reasonably) intelligent woman like me get myself into this mess?

The absolutely bonkers thing is I started smoking when I was old enough to know better. I was 21 when I (stupidly) coughed and spluttered through my first fag, back in the old days when DOSA’s (designated outdoor smoking areas) didn’t exist and a pack only cost a tenner and change. Until then I’d been stoic, resisting all the usual peer pressure to light up right through high school and even uni. I swore I would never, ever, smoke like my parents did.

Falling in the trap
But like most smokers, I fell into the trap. I can still vividly remember everything about the moment I became hooked. There was a dingy nightclub, the air hanging heavy with the stale tang of tobacco, and the lie I would live to regret ever telling myself: “Oh it’s okay, I can just have one…”

Smokers who say they don’t want to quit are, quite frankly, liars.
Smokers who say they don’t want to quit are, quite frankly, liars. Being powerless over an orange-tipped white stick - jammed with tobacco, nicotine and god knows what else – is an awful way to live and the hacking cough of a really committed smoker (guilty as charged) is hardly glamorous.

For far too long, I’ve tried to ignore the frightening images of rotting teeth/gangrenous legs/blackened lungs plastered on the front of ciggie packets and on tv. I’ve tried to keep hoping that the next drag I take won’t be the one that causes a cell to mutate and multiply into mouth, throat or lung cancer.

That’s why I’m going public. I need to put it on record. When I quit this time – the last time - I need to be held accountable.

Kinda like Shane Warne did when he kicked the darts back in the 90’s. But, you know, hopefully with a better outcome.

I’ve got a hell of a lot more to lose.
So how will I stay on track this time after so many spectacular and spirit-crushing failures?

Well, unlike Warnie, there’s no big cash incentive from a nicotine company to keep me on the straight and narrow.

But frankly, I’ve got a hell of a lot more to lose.

A couple of months ago, I married a wonderful man who absolutely loathes smoking. After seeing the fear and worry in his eyes every time I light up, I promised him that once we were married, I’d extinguish my final cigarette.

This time, there’s a lot a stake: we eventually want a family and he doesn’t want to be holding my hand in some hospital oncology ward twenty years down the track.

So I’ve quit. Cold turkey. For real.

I’m not going to lie, so far it’s been a bit of a struggle; but nothing compared to the horrible challenges I’m sure to face if I stay a smoker.

And so these days, and they’re early days, when I get that urge for a hit, I remind myself what I’ve got to lose. But most importantly, I’m trying to remember to breathe.

With user comments -

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...oing-up-in-smoke/story-fni0cwl5-1227079422864

Imagine if you had to buy your drug of choice off the black market for double or triple the price. You'd probably feel like a victim of an unjust society.

That's before you get caught, given a hefty prison sentence, then have access to your drug of choice while locked up from another inmate or crooked guard.

Then, when you eventually decide you wanna get clean by asking your doctor for advice, you notice he now speaks to you as if you've done something heinous and deserve to be frowned upon.

This is just another day in the life of "the other drug users" who - for reasons probably having to do with genetic diversity - never did enjoy the intoxicating effects of alcohol and nicotine, but rather perhaps THC or opioids.

And for this reason of being just a little different in their preference for intoxicants, they are shunned, discriminated against, and generally treated like criminals who should all be locked up - no exceptions.

And for that reason, I usually don't lose any sleep over prohibitionists who are suffering, and who are in sheer agony - let them walk it off.

Imagine if you had to buy your drug of choice off the black market for double or triple the price. You'd probably feel like a victim of an unjust society.

That's before you get caught, given a hefty prison sentence, then have access to your drug of choice while locked up from another inmate or crooked guard.

Then, when you eventually decide you wanna get clean by asking your doctor for advice, you notice he now speaks to you as if you've done something heinous and deserve to be frowned upon.

This is just another day in the life of "the other drug users" who - for reasons probably having to do with genetic diversity - never did enjoy the intoxicating effects of alcohol and nicotine, but rather perhaps THC or opioids.

And for this reason of being just a little different in their preference for intoxicants, they are shunned, discriminated against, and generally treated like criminals who should all be locked up - no exceptions.

And for that reason, I usually don't lose any sleep over prohibitionists who are suffering, and who are in sheer agony - let them walk it off.

The way things are going this won't be something that needs to be imagined but reality for tobacco smokers in a couple of years. Some of the things already are.

Gotta have something to replace weed in the black market I suppose.

Non sense. Replacing smoking with smoking is retarded. Just ask your doctor for Wellbutrin tell him you want to quit smoking. Its an anti depressant with stimulant properties but its also prescribed to help people stop smoking. I took it for 3 weeks and i was done.You dont cough up black shit like you would on chantix.

Clearly, you didn't really get the point, although the whole point this woman is trying to make (I want to quit smoking but I haven't been able yet someone call the wah-mulance! ?) is stupid. For me wellbutrin and chantix and most non-nicotine-wean down didn't help for fuckall, in some cases making things worse.

I felt similarly, about being disgusted with my smoking habit as well as my lack of success in not smoking for many years before quitting, but frankly while I did try a number of things I didn't take it nearly as serious as when I quit heroin (that one time :D). In other words, seriously and holistically (that is to say, simultaneously address the issue all necessary fronts, again all at once).

So in the end I can understand her point of view, but who the fuck cares? Telling people won't necessarily do anything for her, unless she's been hiding it (or trying to hide it, as one cannot hide a pack a day habit), and even then that indicates other personal struggles she faces.

BTW poledriver, by bad with that repost, with the thread of that article on racial disparity the other day, I've gotten a little to comfortable with the "New Thread" thing I guess ;)

No worries mate, it's not important, I do it sometimes myself, I try and scan down the list of articles, but sometimes you miss it and then it happens. I mainly mentioned it so if a mod wonts to merge them.

I think there is actually like three of them now. Someone else posted one too :p but mine was the only one with replies! succccckers ;)

god that doesn't really make me feel good. but not smoking does! %)

Clearly, you didn't really get the point, although the whole point this woman is trying to make (I want to quit smoking but I haven't been able yet someone call the wah-mulance! ?) is stupid. For me wellbutrin and chantix and most non-nicotine-wean down didn't help for fuckall, in some cases making things worse.

My former boss tried going the Zyban/Wellbutrin XL (Bupropion) route in order to help him stop smoking, and 7 days into his treatment he had a full-blown psychotic episode while at work.

It was somewhat funny to watch him look in random directions and talk to someone who wasn't there, followed by running for cover from something, followed by more of the same.

At the same time however, I felt so bad for the guy. Thankfully, the episodes completely stopped once he ditched the Zyban.

Anyways, that was the abrupt end of that experiment (I definitely believe you that you've experienced a bad reaction - apparently it's not uncommon).

If you wanna quit but find that you can't ...switch to organic tobacco .
Its nicotine minus the 600 other chems that AREN'T.
Quitting the organic stuff is way easier than quitting the synthetic shit that shouldn't even be called "tobacco" . With marbs you're basically inhaling formaldehyde and ammonia and all kinds of other crap that makes detox way more intense than pure tobacco .

I think that it is easier to quit e-cigs as well without all the other chemicals and the MAOI aspect. I smoked for 15yrs. At the end I was only smoking like 5-7 cigarettes a day but when I switched over to the mid level % vaporizer I just slowly cut back from there until I just didn't vap or smoke anymore. It was really surprising seamless.

If you wanna quit but find that you can't ...switch to organic tobacco .
Its nicotine minus the 600 other chems that AREN'T.
Quitting the organic stuff is way easier than quitting the synthetic shit that shouldn't even be called "tobacco" . With marbs you're basically inhaling formaldehyde and ammonia and all kinds of other crap that makes detox way more intense than pure tobacco .

I've noticed that even if you don't quit you end up smoking less when smoking pure tobacco. Even if you try to chain-smoke your body just says "no".

We all know smoking anything is not a healthy adventure but I've noticed a huge difference with organic cigs.
I don't cough much at all. I can breathe way easier than when I was smoking camels as a kid...and if I want to kick it it's like 4 days of bad withdrawal . They say the chemically cured smokes can leave a person withdrawing for months. I don't remember going through that but I bet it's true. There's just too much bullshit in the smoke!
Natural American Spirit. I love em. Wish I didn't...but I do.

Who knows what combustion mean? And what happens to tobacco (of any form/mixture) when it is combusted and the result is inhaled?

I agree that any improvement is a good thing, whether that means vaping, switching to organic tobacco (although did you know that even this still made/cured with a fermentation/sugar like product - ever notice how most people crave sweets when they quit smoking?) or smoking less tobacco/vaping less. While a good thing, I don't think it's fair to make it as the goal but a goal to the goal, whether it's quitting smoking or vaping or, more importantly, living the healthiest life possible.

D'oh?

Okay, so I've got what may turn out to be a rather stupid question, but I'll take my chances, and I apologize in advance if it indeed is a stupid question ( be gentle :) ):

If nicotine is a natural pesticide (AFAIK), then why do the tobacco giants bother to spray their crops?

Okay, so I've got what may turn out to be a rather stupid question, but I'll take my chances, and I apologize in advance if it indeed is a stupid question ( be gentle :) ):

If nicotine is a natural pesticide (AFAIK), then why do the tobacco giants bother to spray their crops?

Pretty interesting question actually.

Seems like insecticides are mainly used during spring: http://www.toxicfreenc.org/informed/pdfs/Tobacco_chems.pdf

Nicotine content must be low then.

Bacillus thuringiensis is used late summer/early fall though. Some kind of pest must be resilient to nicotine (even addicted to it lol?).

Pretty interesting question actually.

Seems like insecticides are mainly used during spring: http://www.toxicfreenc.org/informed/pdfs/Tobacco_chems.pdf

Nicotine content must be low then.

Bacillus thuringiensis is used late summer/early fall though. Some kind of pest must be resilient to nicotine (even addicted to it lol?).

Cool! Thanks for letting me know - much appreciated :)

And with respect to the addiction, I wouldn't be surprised.

Statistically, it's the most habit forming drug on the planet, with 3 in 10 people / 30% who try smoking becoming long term addicts.

In at número dos is diacetylmorphine (heroin) - 2.5 in 10 people / 25%.

I should note however that addiction is not the same thing as physical dependency - something which µ-opioid agonists unfortunately seem to excel at like no other drug.

Ironically, one of the worst cold turkey-related withdrawals I've ever experienced was due to a drug which - as far as I know - has zero recreational potential: Zoloft (Sertraline).

Yeah, I used it for about 8 months in total close to a decade ago, and I ran out of refills at one point, and couldn't get my psychiatrist to Rx me anymore as he was on vacation (Edit - Pharmacist refused to help). Believe it or not, I actually began to crave an SSRI. I know... what the fuck.

When I finally was able to get my family doctor to help, 4 days had passed, with little decrease in withdrawal symptom severity/intensity. Shitty situation to be in for sure. But that's okay because in the end, it all turned out okay, and I successfully tapered off the shit about 3 months later.

Again, thanks buddy :)