• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can doctors drug test you if you're getting a Adderall script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morphine-dreams

Bluelighter
I hope this question is ok to ask. Is it common or even legal (I'm in MA) for a doctor to do a drug screen before you get an Adderall script. I'm diagnosed with ADHD but I do other drugs, and smoke weed nightly. If I try to get a script, would I have to make sure I'm totally clean first? What if I have a medical card? I've never been tested to get opiate scripts but they were always short-term.

I know this is kind of on the edge of the rules and my apologies if it needs to be closed.

some doctors will, some will not.
If you go in there looking like a drug user chances are yeah they will probably want a sample or just say no
It helps if you already have a good relationship built up with a doctor you have already been seeing for a while

If they wanted too then yeah, I mean it's there responsibility, they could either improve or destroy someone life with a script. Adderal is so easy too find on the street, so unless it's nessicary for you I wouldn't see a doc. If it is nessicary then clean your system and go have an actual convo with them, don't flat out ask it.. It's amazing how many people don't really talk to a doc, they just go "see" them. I wouldn't hand out narcotics if I didn't think a person could handle it's implications if I had a script pad..

Yeah I get it on the street now and the only reason I want a script is because it'd be cheaper and more consistent, but I don't NEED one at the moment. I moved to a new town so I'd have a to get a new doctor, my last one was an idiot so I don't have the best relationship with her, but I have a great relationship with the psych who diagnosed me with ADHD and she knows I only stopped seeing her because I moved and she charges $150 an hour. Maybe I should just go back to her anyway though. I'll be honest, I'm kind of terrified of doctors (MDs, not psychiatrists) because I've had HORRIBLE experiences with them constantly misdiagnosing me and putting me on the wrong drugs and making me sicker, so I have a hard time trusting any normal doctor :/

Does being 20 and having tattoos automatically make you look like a drug seeker? I think I know the answer already lol.

Being on any controlled substance leaves you vulnerable to gettibg random tests. I'm currently on adderall, and after I asked for it, my primary doctor told me he is required to run twats at any given time and if failure to have adderall in my urine at time of test, or other drugs not prescribed to me, then he can discontinue. It's pretty standard stuff, atleast in NYS...as far as tattoos..I think you may be thinking too much..then again all doctors can have an opinion and act on it. .possibly by taking a sample first which they are allowed to do anyway...

I wouldn't do any harder drugs before my visit (if I schedule one) so if I tested positive, it'd only be for weed. Would that likely be a big factor in this day and age, especially in my state? Do you think I should just be upfront about it and tell them I smoke weed when they ask about substance use?

as far as tattoos..I think you may be thinking too much..then again all doctors can have an opinion and act on it.

I wish, but sadly a lot of people are extremely judgemental about stuff like that, sometimes without even realizing. If there's one thing I've learned about doctors, it's that they are absolutely not unbiased.

but I have a great relationship with the psych who diagnosed me with ADHD and she knows I only stopped seeing her because I moved and she charges $150 an hour.

Was she giving you a script? Cuz all you need is her diagnosis and Rx files on you sent from her office to the doc you choose to go too, and if you were getting scripts already the doc would gladly right one. I was in the same scenario and was able to get my roxy script no problem.

^she was planning to, the only reason she didn't was because she wanted to figure out how to treat my insomnia first but I ended up moving before that ever happened. Could I get a script from her and continue getting it from a local doctor? She's close enough that I could make the drive once but not regularly. I just wouldn't want it to count as doctor shopping.

Well in that case I would make the drive until she wrote a script, might take 2 visits if she wants to work on your insomnia, but that's better than playing hit or miss with different docs. And I personally don't know anyone that gets Rx adderal and doesn't get a benzo to go with it. Seriously no lie, everyone in this area with adderal.. Is getting 30mg addys and Xanax bars. I've yet to even see a variation in dosage or meds. But we have one of those no insurance accepted speciality clinics with it's own friggin pharmacy! So natural I assume you'll get a benzo and some addys, but I'm no doc so idk.. But once she writes one out you'll be smooth sailing, it's just finding a doc you like and handing over paperwork. Makes it easy on your new doc too

Hey there im in kentucky and im pretty sure its up to the docs discretion. While insured my doc wrote my script of 20s each month no questions. Insurance ran out and copay went away full bill im responsible for, she dropped me and said psychiatry was my only option. Cold turkey lil rough..

Pretty much everyone will make judgements, even if theyre subconscious, based on appearances. Doctors included. I'm not saying dress up for your doc appointment, lol, but theyre definitely more likely to be sympathetic and/or straightforward with you if you go in with a straightforward attitude and looking somewhat professional.

Also you would be playing roulette with disclosing the weed info. I want to say most doctors would be understanding--especially with your insomnia--but some will red flag it and refrain from prescribing abusable meds. I think full disclosure is almost always the best way to go, because if your doctor isnt understanding and doesn't help you, you can just find a new doc that will. Only problem is if you're in a small town or strapped for cash with poor medical insurance.

There's no reason why your old psych couldnt prescribe meds that you fill in your new town.

Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.