• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can being around people give you a uncomfortable trip?

Shitfacenelson

Greenlighter
Alright so a few weeks ago I was with a few friends and we were all gonna trip balls off some shrooms.I dont really do acid a whole lot because every time i try i get these shitty reaseach chems. But anyway we split a quarter between three people and literally 20 minutes go by and I'm already starting to feel it. We went to go listen to music and chill out, none of us really talked (later on in the night my friend was tripping so hard he couldn't talk but only make noises lol) but I just started getting this weird anxious uncomfortable vibe so I just said I wanted to go to bed and went to lay down. I was in a room by myself and I started to feel better, I just popped in some headphones and laid down and thought about alot of shit and was having a pretty good time, so I'm not sure if it was the people I was around that gave me that vibe or what. It wasn't the first time I've done shrooms, although the time before I was also with people and at another friends house I've never been to before and I had the same uncomfortable feeling. Is there just some people that can only have a good time tripping alone?

I have always preferred tripping alone. Makes the trip much more introspective and spiritual in my experience. Laying down and listening to music while contemplating the mysteries of life is how I get the most out of my trips. Memories flow through my mind and many out of body experiences.

All of the more difficult experiences I have had on psychedelics involved being around people. Granted This was usually because I did not know the people on any kind of personal level. I have had incredibly bonding trips with close friends. One or two people at the most though, otherwise yes I tend to feel vulnerable with all of the distractions. Paranoid and self-conscious. These days I much prefer exploring the mind in peace alone. The vibration remains constant and I have more control. And if I lose control, I feel comfortable enough to let go and enjoy the ride.

When ive tripped I have found that u are more aware of the emotions that people r giving off. If u r with people u dont know u might overthink the emotions hey r giving and might analyze it the wrong way. If ur with r friends and start getting a bad vibe I find it helpful to get 5 minutes to myself outside and get some fresh air. This usually calms my mind

I always trip alone. When I started to trip I did it with a group of friends, and the more I did psychedelics the less people were involved, until eventually going to zero.

When tripping with other people, they ARE part of your trip and if they aren't in the same head-space as you, it will feel uncomfortable.

If you do trip with people, it'd be best if they were tripping as well.. OR if you know them really well and will not be disturbing while you trip.

With mushrooms especially!! I noticed being uncomfortable with other people.. usually it meant that there is a trip with my eyes closed that needs attending to.

Read my trip report where I totally freak out and run through a snowy forest barefoot, I was around a new group of people.

Last edited:
Depends. Usually on LSD I can't be around too many people if I haven't prepared myself for it. I often find myself cracking up and muttering things out loud that should have been said in my head when I'm in public on acid. This is not a good look or feeling cuz eventually I start thinking that people are observing my ridiculous, psychotic behaviour.

I've tripped in a party before though, it was very nice and trippy. But as I said, I was more mentally prepared for it.

Idk what it is, people just seem to overwhelm me when I'm tripping and they're not.

Yes being with people can easily cause a trip to go in a completely different direction. I wouldnt say it can make the trip good or bad just that it will be completely different in the two situations. The issue with people is it can lead you to be paranoid about what they are thinking or it may cause you to over analyze what you are saying.

It just completely changes the dynamic, its like being outside vs inside.

I also always trip alone or with the wife. Yes who your around and where you are is important and should be planned before dosing before its to late.
Iv been through many trips around people that made me so damn uncomfortable in all types of ways. Itd take me all day to tell my uncomfortable trips.
Its to where i strictly trip at home alone or at a out door festival in the woods. I will only trip with my wife, no one else anymore. I also always have downers on me when im tripping just in cass.
I guess in the beginning i was trying to party hard and just looking for purely hedonistic experiences. I eventually figured out for me most psychs arent ment to be taken like that.
Now there are a few i can take in public on reasonable doses like:2ci, 2cb, 4-ho-Met, low doses of Ketamine and MXE. Now with mushrooms, 4-aco-dmt, lsd, 2ce, 2cp, large doses of K & MXE i have to be at home for sure.

Also mushrooms are flat out unpredictable as hell. Yeah you may no the weight of the fungus but you dont know how much psilocybin/psilocin is in your dose of fungus. That could play a role into feeling uncomfortable, tripping harder than expected. Happened to me all the time when i was eating alot of mushrooms.

Last edited:
Control your set and setting

There is a reason that surgeries are performed in hospitals: They are clean environments, they minimize interruptions by controlling entry to the space, and allow for 24/7 monitoring.

Continuing the metaphor of psychic surgery,
or The Psychedelic experience, the same principles apply.
A Clean Environment
By nature a psychedelic experience is going to bring you to an altered state of consciousness. In that state, you are going to be far more vulnerable to risks incumbent within your setting.

Is it wise to undergo a psychedelic experience in a field riddled with ant hives? Unlikely. Is it wise to have a psychedelic experience in a graveyard you snuck into? Unlikely. You want to be contained in a space that is free of the dangers of physical harm as well as psychic interference (even if you don’t believe in things like other entities).
Thoughts have power, and in a psychedelic state if you are convinced you are being tormented by a ghost, there might as well be one there.

Minimizing Interruptions
One of the major reasons why I only recommend doing psychedelics in legal settings, is that inherently it removes one of the major risks. Namely a bunch of corn fed, fired up cops busting in to haul you off to prison.
A good set and setting minimizes the chance of interruption, just as a hospital does. Sure, there are acts of God or Godzilla that could interrupt anything, but your chances are minimized.

Even if the cops don’t come you want to be in a place where you are not subjected to people who are insensitive to your state of consciousness. This is a reason why it is not recommended to take heavy doses of psychedelics in places where people are actively lowering awareness through alcohol, cocaine, or Taco Bell. They will be like an instrument out of tune in a symphony. Their strident wavelength will make it hard to focus on anything else.

24/7 Monitoring aka Trip sitter!
Psychedelics journeys can be likened to a scuba dive. If you are going into deep, unexplored waters, it is best to bring a guide who knows the terrain. But even if you are going on a shallow dive in a place you have been before, it is always good to bring a friend, or have someone waiting in the boat. At the very least, you will have someone to share the experience with and remind you of how you felt and what you learned when the brilliance inevitably dims with time.

Psychedelic medicine has been a constant ally in my life. But as my relationship deepens with each of the sacred plants, I grow more reverent of not only of their power to heal, but potential to harm.

These pillars are simply the basic guidelines, and I put them out with the intent that they will be proliferated and improved upon. If you or anyone you know is interested in a psychedelic experience, please share this with them.

And if you see them heading off on a path that raises any red flags, do everything you can to let them know. We owe it not only to each other, but to the success of the movement as a whole.
Happy Trials :)

I'm easily annoyed and bad vibe-d by people when I'm tripping. On the flipside, my solo mushroom trips (never tried LSD solo for a whole trip and I basically only do DMT solo), I feel like there is something lacking. I've only tried it twice though, as opposed to countless times tripping with others. I feel like a big part of psychedelics for me is social. I was a very anti social person before discovering psych's, so I think that for me it is just as important to experience the inner world as it is to experience more of other peoples emotions and be in tune with them.

So my favorite is to trip with people that I'm extremely close to and can handle psych's. Whether or not we go out into "normal" public is definitely a trip by trip basis though.. Sometimes I love it and sometimes it's too much, even with tripping buddies. Strangely enough, at festivals I like to dose regardless of if I'm with anyone, and I love meeting new people in that setting!

In my theory, if you have a social anxiety problem(even at it's mildest, as I do) psychedelics may very well exacerbate them, and/or make you more reclusive if that's a characteristic even slightly embedded in your personality(as mine). Do you notice this same effect while under the influence of cannabis? I do even more so.

Another possibility is that you aren't as comfortable with your friends as you may not realize while sober? You'd need to think about that. I have friends that I've been quite comfortable with using psychedelics around(Close friends). Although, you'd still notice that I become more reclusive, especially when marijuana is thrown into the mix. I become more lost into my mind and decide to compulsively introspect, practically ignoring my friends in the process.

Now with people I am uncomfortable tripping around, such as around my intolerant family, I will become reclusive and even anxious. This results in me being lost in my mind, while on high alert of my family walking in on me to see me like this. I'd usually be hiding in my room and acting asleep if possible. Kind of humorous at this point, honestly.

I get kind of quiet and parionoid sometimes from cannabis depending on the strain, but whenever I smoke I have a very low tolerence so normally I just get super stoned but most of the time I'm quiet and nervous from it. I'm comfortable around all my friends when I'm smoking or doing other shit. Its just psych's that do that to me to the point where I get so nervous it gives me a uncomfortable trip

I've Been dropping acid every 2 weeks For 2 months just me and my best friend. well last time I walk in to start the night and his new gf was there I never met. I kept trying to put off dropping until she left but it was getting late. She left 20 mins after we dropped. I didn't know if she was staying the night or leaving. it colored the whole trip not bad just not normal. I don't like to drop with anxiety. I actually flat out refuse for anyone to be around when I am tripping that's not tripping. I've had to tell several friends they have to go, it seemed dick at the time. Bc there were 3 of us and I told the sober one to Leave. I told him it was nothing personal and I'm tripping and that everything he is saying is gibberish or going Right in one ear and out the other. Don't you love when you trip around sober people and they keep looking at you asking what ? Are you ok ? Bc I look retarded or have a shit eating grin and they don't understand lol

This one time while tripping with this new person, in our group... Yes; i was uncomfortable, but I/we settled down into the trip....
he started talking and talking etc... we wanted to dis-corporate, he was distracting so say the least...

I got up sat next to him and lite a incense ... talk with him and said... Hey dude look at the smoke.. look at it float way awayyy... So he did.. the next 6 hrs where wonderful...

Last edited:
When I'm on acid I prefer to be solo. I can be around my VERY close friends or my girlfriend, but solo is the best. You don't have as many distractions. You can really get lost in the trip, dive very deep. It's by far the best way to trip. You are born alone, and you should also learn to trip alone IMO. :)

I went to the gym on 200mcg acid last week. Normally I have very good workouts while tripping, but that day there were WAY too many people in the gym and it pissed me off royally. I had no room to scratch my ass and I hardly got anything done because all the equipment was busy.

Psychedelics (esp LSD) really shorten my fuse.

It depends. It's not really uncomfortable for me. I can pass as sober enough in nearly any situation (parents, cops, other sober people, shopping, etc). Not on a high dose, but a medium to low dose on anything. I just find it funny to be tripping pretty hard without anyone being able to tell. This takes a lot of experience and practice though, because in the beginning I absolutely could not do this.

It definitely invites a potential source of discomfort to trip around other people, but I find it mostly boils down to self-confidence and familiarity. I used to always trip alone, I even got uncomfortable with friends most of the time. Through tripping and slowly forcing myself into uncomfortable social situations, I overcame this almost completely. I never get uncomfortable around friends now, and usually I'm fine in public too, but occasionally if the people around aren't conducive to my vibes, I'll still get uncomfortable, especially if I dose high... for example, I went to a Govt Mule show recently and took a large dose of DOC. Whenever the music wasn't playing, I became pretty uncomfortable with the crowd, as it was mostly drunk rednecks. It was uncomfortable but the trip was a great one... sometimes psychedelics can be uncomfortable for periods of time, but I learned a little something about myself and the night was awesome.

It also seems to be more likely to happen if you don't have much experience, because tripping throws you so far off balance generally until you get more used to it. I'd never suggest to someone that they take any of their first trips in public. On the other hand, I have a friend who has never seemed to feel any social discomfort on psychedelics, even his first trips. It's really mostly about how you handle yourself socially and how comfortable you are.

This is on point. Being comfortable with the substance itself will be the measuring impact of how a person handles themselves, pretty much in any situation. Or just being inebriated on anything. Well, unless the setting is pressure-filled. :)

I went to Vegas a while back and got completely blitzed by >10 yaeger (sp?) bombs and a huge glass of AMF, which I didn't finish. It was like a +3, except I could barely see anything and I had to get carried back to the hotel room. And I laughed when I found out later that the bartender was pissed off I threw up all over his floor. But I definitely felt pressured because all of my hs friends are borderline alcoholic, and they're always like, "c'mon, have another one...don't be a pussy!" lol

Then I found out you could actually die from overdosing on alcohol, so from that point on I never drank anything unless it was a sip of beer. And yes, I'm a lightweight with alcohol.

Of course it's logical (people get used to whatever they use), but I find it amusing people can handle their ish on alcohol, but then those same people can't handle psychs. Sooo backwards. :)

Raves can get really hectic. Even now, I probably wouldn't be able to handle that setting on a psych. Toooo chaotic. On mdma would be easy though.

yes it can, the first time i took shrooms i met up with this faggot kid who started bitching at me for doing drugs and calling me a loser, saying how i look retardedly high and how im gonna get arrested. Doesnt seem so bad when your sober but when your tripping fucking balls it is not good to be around people who give off a bad vibe, if you know what i mean. You just get nervous and depressed