• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Can anxiety be reduced whilst in tolerance?

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
Is it possible to reduce or even get over anxiety whilst in benzo tolerance?

Example for me..... 10mg for 16 years valium and 0.5mg for 6 years Klopin.

I'm sure it's possible. Anxiety can be reduced without taking any medication, you just need to find a technique that works. If you're looking for medication, I'm sure there are some different GABA inducing substances out there too.

Are you asking whether benzodiazepine drugs can still provide therapeutic benefit after one becomes tolerant of them? Yes, I believe they can, at least the longer acting ones, and if the dose is not to high.

IDK if that was the question or not though.

Are you asking whether benzodiazepine drugs can still provide therapeutic benefit after one becomes tolerant of them? Yes, I believe they can, at least the longer acting ones, and if the dose is not to high.

IDK if that was the question or not though.

Exactly that Znegative :) I have read a fair bit that long term benzo use actually makes anxiety worse than what it was in the first place, which seems to be whats happening to me. If I increase my diazepam by a small amount say 2mg I feel even more anxious, so its having the opposite effect on me to what it should be.....So it seems that I am caught in a vicious circle.....If I continue with my dose of benzos I feel anxious, if I lower the dose I feel even more anxious and if I increase the dose I feel anxious.....How on earth can I be free of this anxiety? I have tried every SSRI, Lyrica, Gabapentin and now the Dr has put me on Mirtazapine. I read codeine helps anxiety.....but meant to be dangerous when used alongside benzos?

Mixing opiates with benzos are pretty dangerous. You also don't want to get an opiate addiction. Have you tried switching to another benzo like ativan?

Yeah benzos and opiates are a dangerous combo, and usually produce sloppy synergism, with the exception of methadone and Buprenorphine (benzos mix well with these), but really most people that mix opiates and benzos are endgame addicts trying to get that 'death Rush' because they can't get off on just the dope or the pills by themselves. Well I might just be talking about myself and a few people I know, but point is, you got a benzo habit, why on earth would you want to risk getting an opiate one on top of it. There is nothing worse than being physically addicted to two different classes of drugs.

I never found the effects of the benzos to make me more anxious over time, it was more that when they wore off their would be a pronounced rebound effect.

I've used Mirtazipine before, and it did help with anxiety as long as the dose was kept high enough. Low doses just don't cut it.

I've also heard some reports that Tianeptine Sulfate can help with anxiety. I have tried this out too and it was very effective, but I had to discontinue use as it made me very drowsy. It is easily and cheaply available on the internet, but it is also very addictive and the withdrawals are apparently hell, so it would have to be used with care. If you're interested, there are reports on it here on Bluelight and also elsewhere on the internet.

Some people have found kratom an effective remedy for anxiety, it is also useful for smoothing out the worst effects of withdrawals when tapering down from opiates, but some benzo users have found it very helpful too. Again, there is a ton of information on it here on Bluelight. Again, it is addictive, but tapering off kratom is a breeze compared to tapering off opiates or benzos.

I wish you all the best in your quest and hope you will find both useful information and support here on Bluelight.

I was addicted to benzos for many years and got paradoxical effects from time to time, mostly from diazepam though.

Maybe switch to another benzo like ativan, as w0w0mg already suggested.

However since i tapered diazepam in 2009 i only use benzos very very rarely like one or two times a year. But not because of anxiety.

My anxiety and panic attacks are gone.
I feel like quitting benzos contributed to that and therapy also helped alot.

Thanks for the replies :)

If I added another benzo like Ativan that would mean I would be on 3 different benzos a day.....Wonder if this is safe?

I think in the long run, benzos increase anxiety. I finally kicked a ten year run with Xanax and have been off them for six years and my anxiety is sooooo much better. That being said, benzo withdrawal and subsequent PAWS is pretty terrible. Kratom and kava helped significantly during benzo withdrawal, as did Indural (propranolol). If you find that you are extremely tolerant to benzos, you may want to consider getting off of them (taper, NOT cold turkey). In my experience, once you cross a line with benzo tolerance they become useless, and eventually make anxiety worse. I also found that high doses of benzos to counteract tolerance is not the answer either. Sorry you're going through this, benzos are great until they're not, and once you hot that point life can be pretty hellish.