• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Can a 3 week old solution of ketamine be safely injected if boiled first, then drawn through a 0.2um wheel filter?

dydst

Greenlighter
Hey Gang!

Nearly a month ago I mixed a 100mg/ml solution of racemic ketamine in boiled tap water, and injected it into a sterile 10 mL vial. I never got the chance to use it.

Now, It looks fine to the naked eye, although I realize that it could now be shot through with creepy crawlies.

If I re-boil the solution for two minutes or so, let it cool, then draw the entire contents through a 0.2 µm PES syringe wheel filter, would the solution be safe for SubQ/IM, injection (no IV)?

Thanks friends, I'm looking forward to your hopefully nonjudgmental opinions.

Boiling it and filtering it will take care of living(ish) pathogens like bacteria, fungi, and viruses.

If it was colonized by bacteria or fungi, it could be contaminated by compounds they produce, so there may be a larger immune response to these or specific effects of say a toxin produced by these pathogens.

However, as there are no replication competant pathogens after reboiling, and refiltering, any adverse effects will be dose-dependant.

Hey Gang!

Nearly a month ago I mixed a 100mg/ml solution of racemic ketamine in boiled tap water, and injected it into a sterile 10 mL vial. I never got the chance to use it.

Now, It looks fine to the naked eye, although I realize that it could now be shot through with creepy crawlies.

If I re-boil the solution for two minutes or so, let it cool, then draw the entire contents through a 0.2 µm PES syringe wheel filter, would the solution be safe for SubQ/IM, injection (no IV)?

Thanks friends, I'm looking forward to your hopefully nonjudgmental opinions.

Can't assure you that it is safe, but I think it wouldn't be the most unsafe thing to attempt.

As @Skorpio mentioned, living microorganisms should be eliminated via the described procedure, but any toxins they produced may still be present. I think their presence would be pretty low in the described scenario but who knows.
One problem is that you used tap water (which can be surprisingly dirty). Always best to use bacteria static water whenever possible.

Did you filter the solution before putting it in the vial? Before introducing a solution into a sterile vial, it should be micron filtered.

Hey again!

That was really cool of you both to respond. Somewhere along the way I’ve learned that microorganisms produced toxins, but I never made that connection.

🙏

I ended up going with, let’s just say … pr administration. Despite that route’s awful bioavailability.

In the end, I got the Heebie-Jeebies about injecting.

Hey, see what I did there?

Again, thanks so much for your replies.

Hey again!

That was really cool of you both to respond. Somewhere along the way I’ve learned that microorganisms produced toxins, but I never made that connection.

🙏

I ended up going with, let’s just say … pr administration. Despite that route’s awful bioavailability.

In the end, I got the Heebie-Jeebies about injecting.

Hey, see what I did there?

Again, thanks so much for your replies.
The low bioavailability of K via the southern route is rather overstated in my experience.