• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Calling all disabled BLers!

I have tinnitus as well. In my case it was caused by overly loud noises since I worked as a machinist much of my life. I will need a hearing aid eventually. I struggle to hear conversations in a crowded place already. It's weird how tinnitus is something you tune out but when you think about it, you suddenly hear it very loudly.

Anyway, can we add people with chronic pain issues who are not actually disabled to the thread? I have chronic issues with my neck, but I was able to continue working until retirement. There is still much work to do, but I am actually planning for the eventual time when my pot use becomes daily.
Chronic pain is definitely a disabling condition. I have chronic pain from multiple sources, and it periodically renders me unable to function. I am right now recovering from a MASSIVE migraine that continued for approximately 36 hours. I was unable to keep my eyes open due to sensitivity to light.

I would be very curious to hear how the auditory psychedelic DiPT affects you.
For the most part, I don’t experience auditory hallucinations under the influence of psychedelics. Even if I did, they would be indistinguishable from my usual “noises” that I hear in my head when I’m not wearing hearing aids. And even when I am wearing aids, often I’ll hear sounds that aren’t there, like my name being called. Since I can’t tell with any accuracy what sounds are actually there and what sounds are in my head, I rely on visual cues to be sure that a sound is real.

Hey @xtcgrrrl, as a person who labelled/identified/referred to themselves as “disabled” may I ask how you feel about people using terms like “differently abled” rather than “disabled”? I’m old enough to remember when “disabled” replaced “handicapped” and it seems there is a similar shift in language going on.

Although “disabled” is still very much well understood ordinary language I see pressure everywhere from publishing “style guides” to job advertisements specifying, preferring or labelling things “differently abled” .

Do you see this as PC-speak? Does it matter? Is is it helpful? Or does it actually erase and minimise the very real challenges that people such as yourself might face in the world?
Yeah, I and most other deaf people I know think of this “differently-abled” bullshit as just that…bullshit. Who thinks up these newfangled PC labels?! I’ll tell you who: HEARING PEOPLE. Deaf people are satisfied to be called DEAF. But hearing people come up with these labels to make THEMSELVES feel better; because it’s not helping us deaf people, I’ll tell ya that. Deafness IS a fucking disability, and by attempting to deny that or make it sound all pretty, you’re doing us a disservice. Then people are less inclined to provide needed services or assistance of the type that we actually need. And while there’s a subset of the deaf community that argues that we have a culture and a language and therefore are just another type of minority, what, in the end, unites us? WE CANT FUCKING HEAR, and I know of no existence in which TAKING AWAY a sense is evolutionarily beneficial. There’s small perks here and there, like being able to get a full night’s sleep even during a thunderstorm, but ask any hearing person if they’d permanently trade places with us, and I bet you the answer is a resounding NO.

Deaf is deaf. Call a spade a spade.

Chronic pain is definitely a disabling condition. I have chronic pain from multiple sources, and it periodically renders me unable to function. I am right now recovering from a MASSIVE migraine that continued for approximately 36 hours. I was unable to keep my eyes open due to sensitivity to light.
My daughter has migraines. Funny thing, I quite smoking reefer for almost 20 years so as to not have that influence her. Then she ended up with migraines (about weekly) and it's the best medicine she's found.

I’m very curious about what people in wheel-chairs, missing limbs, deaf, blind etc etc think about the terms.
Generally it’s gonna be a no from us, dawg. I mean obviously disabled people are not a monolith and maybe there’s some people that prefer one term or the other but the easiest way to find out is to just ask them: “what term do you prefer?” Like I know some people who prefer “hard of hearing” because they don’t feel like they’re deaf enough to be called deaf. Generally most people dislike “hearing impaired” because of the negative connotations of the word “impaired,” but even so, I’ve met some deaf people who prefer that term. Different strokes for different folks…

My daughter has migraines. Funny thing, I quite smoking reefer for almost 20 years so as to not have that influence her. Then she ended up with migraines (about weekly) and it's the best medicine she's found.
Yeah, weed helps with migraines A LOT. Too bad I live at my parents for now and I can’t smoke weed here, unless a friend gives me a lift to a different area of town. Not something you really wanna be doing with a migraine…

I have a severe digestive disease that has almost killed me more than 7 times in the past 10 years. It has deprived me of life, human connection, opportunity, and any chance at normalcy. Dealing with it has definitely made me mentally ill and I would even say neurodivergent at this point, since the almost nonstop trauma of nearly dying, or living under the threat that it could happen again at any time, has surely been brain damaging. It's made worse by the fact that I live alone and am trapped by financial limitations from making the necessary changes I need to make to start feeling whole again. Every time I get ill I have to dig deep inside myself and find the grit to take care of myself, even though I can barely function. These circumstances have made me a quasi-hermit and outsider. I haven't felt in sync with the day to day human world for years now and I'm not sure how to reintegrate. I feel invisible.

One thing I'm doing right now is studying a health sciences degree through online university. It has been hard but very rewarding. My hope is that education unlocks some doors for me, but I'm not sure at this point if I could even hold a regular job. I was previously self-employed practicing Chinese medicine, and had about 1000 clients who were in and out. It was rewarding work, but draining if you have an illness that sucks your life force, especially when you are providing care to so many people. Now I don't know what I'm doing... just school and trying to survive off gigs here and there.

Being chronically ill or disabled sucks. I see some of the hard-earned benefits of my life path, but it's not something I would chose for myself or anyone really. We all just want to feel connection and love, but being sick all the time really makes that hard. I've grown accustomed to rarely having my human needs met. I am hoping that I can make some meaningful changes in the coming years because I can't imagine this way of life continuing much longer. I feel like a bug trapped in amber. At the same time, I acknowledge that I am participating in a well-worn human archetype... the wounded, the hermit, the wise recluse, suffering/insight, hell vs awakening, etc. I feel very connected to all the sick people who currently or historically lived in abject anguish while unknowingly (or knowingly) doing profound spiritual work.

What is this all leading up to? I have no idea.
Sounds like you need better people in your life. This sounds cheesy, but I would be a great person for a friend. I have a shit ton of issues myself and I understand how people just get tired of hearing about it even when it’s serious serious. People suck. Most anyways.

Sounds like you need better people in your life. This sounds cheesy, but I would be a great person for a friend. I have a shit ton of issues myself and I understand how people just get tired of hearing about it even when it’s serious serious. People suck. Most anyways.

The city I live in (Vancouver Canada) is a social dead zone. The culture is the most useless, vapid, shallow and ungrounded I've ever seen, and I haven't been able to afford to leave for years. Wish I could GTFO of here. Thanks for the offer of friendship.

Yeah, weed helps with migraines A LOT. Too bad I live at my parents for now and I can’t smoke weed here, unless a friend gives me a lift to a different area of town. Not something you really wanna be doing with a migraine…
Vaporiser...or edibles.

The city I live in (Vancouver Canada) is a social dead zone. The culture is the most useless, vapid, shallow and ungrounded I've ever seen, and I haven't been able to afford to leave for years. Wish I could GTFO of here. Thanks for the offer of friendship.
Is it really that bad?
I’m going there for a bit next week.