Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

buying insulin needles in Melb?

doctordog

Bluelighter
So this is actually completely above the board, but I've been buying various legal peptides online to help with anxiety/depression/focus, e.g. Semax, Selank. They can either be injected or made up into a nasal spray, but I've found doing the nasal spray to be a bit more of a pain because it isn't always very accurate. IM injection doesn't scare me and I'm thinking of trying that next, but the problem is that you have to use insulin needles, not regular needles.

I thought you could use regular needles, so went to a community health centre 6 months ago. The receptionist treated me like sh*t, even though I was well-dressed and presentable, but the nurse was actually incredibly kind and loaded me up with supplies (even though I said it's for a peptide, nothing illegal -- though I don't suspect she believed me heh).

People in the US who use peptides say they buy insulin needles OTC, but how easy is it in Melb? I thought about looking presentable, maybe wearing my reading glasses, but is any kind of proof required? Can I say I'm buying for my girlfriend who's a diabetic? Do they ask you for ID?

Failing that, I thought about going back to to the health centre -- it seemed mostly no-questions-asked, but again I wasn't sure if they carry insulin needles or would hassle me.

What do you mean by "insulin syringe" as opposed to "regular needles"? My understanding was that insulin users are given the same 1ml syringes with the preattached needle as most street drug users use for meth/heroin (pills generally take a larger syringe).

One of these:

terumo_insulin_2.jpg

You should just be able to walk in to a chemist and buy a fit pack, they aren't restricted. A minority of pharmacists might get an attitude and refuse to sell them if they think you are going to inject drugs with them, but I have only ever heard of this happening a couple of times. On the two occasions I have purchased fit packs from a pharmacy, there was no questions asked either time.

What do you mean by "insulin syringe" as opposed to "regular needles"? My understanding was that insulin users are given the same 1ml syringes with the preattached needle as most street drug users use for meth/heroin (pills generally take a larger syringe).

One of these:

terumo_insulin_2.jpg

Someone on reddit explained it to me -- and recommended insulin syringes @ a particular CC -- but I can't find the message at the moment. I think the just of it is that the markings/units on insulin syringes are finer and more accurate, which is necessary for dosing with the peptides.

You should just be able to walk in to a chemist and buy a fit pack, they aren't restricted. A minority of pharmacists might get an attitude and refuse to sell them if they think you are going to inject drugs with them, but I have only ever heard of this happening a couple of times. On the two occasions I have purchased fit packs from a pharmacy, there was no questions asked either time.

I googled "fit pack", "chemist" and "Australia" but nothing comes up. Is that definitely what they're called? Is it a pack of insulin syringe?

Just ask for a "1ml sharps kit", that what we used to do.....but you should have a free exchange service like we do up in Brisbane. You don't need to have anything for exchange.....I can get 40 needles, swabs, filters and a sharps bin as a max order at any one time. There used to be no limit on the amount you could request.

Is this not the case in Melbourne?

The number for the Vic Needle and Syringe Program is: 1300 365 482

I'm not sure if that number is targeted at consumers, but if you call and ask them where your nearest NSP is, they'll either be able to tell you or direct you to someone else who can.

NSP staff are very on top of the different types of injecting equipment and substances that people inject and a lot of them are substance using peers themselves. They'll be able to tell you whether standard injecting equipment is appropriate for your needs or suggest where else you can go if it's not.

Just ask for a "1ml sharps kit", that what we used to do.....but you should have a free exchange service like we do up in Brisbane. You don't need to have anything for exchange.....I can get 40 needles, swabs, filters and a sharps bin as a max order at any one time. There used to be no limit on the amount you could request.

There's loads of services in Melbourne for syringes. Including a home-delivery service. I get boxes of 100 delivered to my door whenever I need, normally takes about an hour after calling the service. Completely free (and they're discreet, of course).

I used to live in Brisbane where they were always called sharps kits. But they don't seem to be called sharps kits in other states. I don't know for sure since I stopped getting them from pharmacies. But yeah, I think the name varies. Seems to be called fit packs most other places but sharps kits in qld, just my observation.

The qld ones contain 5 27g 1ml insulin needles, 5 cigarette filters, 5 swabs and 1 plastic ampoule of 10ml sterile water, and a Sharps container. Usually termuos which are my preference but sometimes BD's or those ones with retractable needles. I assume other states are pretty similar.

Last edited:
Cig filters is a good one. WA packs have cotton wool balls, which is kinda shit, but better than nothing.
A good HR tip ive heard is not to rip cotton up (or off an ear bud/q-tip) to make a filter using your fingernails, as nasty shit can be under your nails, risking an infection like toxoplasmosis.
Better to use your finger tips (with clean, preferably alcohol-swabbed fingers).

Ones ive seen in melb had no filter, which really bothered me.
Pretty sure most pharmacies/med people would know what a 'sharps kit' is. But 'fit pack' is pretty universal in australia i think.

I've always heard cigarette filters make for horrible filters for your drugs.

Not necessarily. This study is talking about using cigarette filters compared to - and in combination with - micron filters for filtering pill solutions.
There seems to be some disagreement (and possibly some urban myths?) about using tailor-made cig filters as opposed to those used for rollies, but using the latter should be reasonably safe (unless people are shooting pills).
Obviously using a micon filter is the safest option, but not everybody goes to that length. Cigarette filters and cotton are not perfect, but better than nothing.

Hey spacejunk it is late and maybe I'm reading this wrong but that study is saying more of the morphine is extacted using a het extraction? I was always under the impression that heat destroys a good deal of the opiates!

Um...i dunno, i kinda skim-read it, to tell you the truth.
Lemme get back to you on that!

I dont think opiates are particularly vulnerable to heat, but pill binders and other unwanted insolubles can end up in your solution with heat, so cold is almost always preferable i believe.