• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Buvidal - a Revolutionary Treatment for Opiate Dependency.

pharaoh

Bluelighter
I didn't see a thread in this forum about Buvidal, which is in simple terms a long-lasting buprenorphine injection - usually administered on a monthly basis but weekly injections are available. In theory, the levels of buprenorphine decrease so gradually over time that the patient will be able to come off of opiates without any major withdrawals (some say no withdrawals at all). I had my last jab over 6 weeks ago and I am unsure as to whether I am truly in withdrawals or whether the symptoms I am experiencing are mainly psychological, due to stress etcetera. But assuming that they are actual W/D symptoms (gastric trouble, anxiety, depression, insomnia and general dysphoria), they are very mild when compared to a full blown withdrawal from any short acting opiate, or the other, traditional opiate replacement medicines (methadone, which nearly killed me, or daily sublingual buprenorphine). My last merry go round with H was absolutely unbearable, but this has been a life-saver.

The main issue, for me and others that I have heard of through the grapevine where I got the treatment, is a lack of psycho-social support to go with it. As anybody who has been an addict knows, you are self-medicating in order to suppress trauma in many cases and, with opiates, in most cases that I know of (in the UK - the culture is different here. Not many people got hooked because doctors were giving out Oxys like candy and then suddenly stopping them, forcing people to find their fix on the black market). Once you are out of that "opiate haze", the depression kicks in and, whilst the treatment is brilliant physically speaking, its efficacy could be questioned when the psychological support that most addicts would require isn't a part of the treatment. I am at the end of it now, and it is tricky.

In any case, they are rolling the treatment out in certain places and I think that a megathread would be good for anybody who gets the opportunity to be a guinea pig like I have been to share their stories, advice and all the rest of it. I believe that it is a revolutionary treatment and could get a lot of people out of their habits, and we need subjective knowledge/experience in order to assist in the research that goes with testing it out. I am unsure of statistics regarding success rates, but as I said, if you want to get off of opiates and daily doses - trips to the pharmacy, holding a tablet under your tongue for half an hour a day etc., - it is brilliant.

I hope that it is eventually available to everybody who is ready and wants to kick opiates for good, but it is still in its early stages.

im glad that is working for you. I have stayed with linear titration of traditional opioids but if it works for you, and you aren't dying from fent then FUCK YEAH. I have a partner that is on it --- fucked up thing is she was put on it from not having an opioid habit!
she had done opioids a few times and the medical system just was like "YOU HAVE TO DO THIS" and now she's wrapped up in coming off of suboxone which - can be difficult. I will help her get off of it, but like - yeah - the danger here is someone having an 30mg a day oxy habit and getting put on this shit -- in that case, i would strongly recommend just keep taking the short acting normal opioid with black seed and ULDN and jumping off vs a suboxone habit which is notoriously addictive long term.
but i am super glad you are in a better spot, and used correctly i think the depot injections are very useful.

I'm interested to hear someone articulate the fact that buprenorphine IS dependence-forming. I couldn't tolerate the stuff - massive anxiety and insomnia (not good for someone who has seizures) and lasted 7 days. But that WAS enough.

I think someone has simply figured out how to make the maximum profit from a paptented formulation (buprenorphine was discovered in the 70s so is WAY out of patent).

Wow, why do pharmaceuticals keep pushin these fking partial agonists. It's time to just give either morphine or heroin therapy. Jesús Christ.

Wow, why do pharmaceuticals keep pushin these fking partial agonists. It's time to just give either morphine or heroin therapy. Jesús Christ.

In 2 words - the media. in the UK the red-top tabloids and the Hate Mail will use dog-whistle headlines to provoke an outcry 'drug addicts given heroin' and go on to say how 'ordinary people' are footing the bill. Ignorance means that people just do not understand or believe that opioid dependence is a disease. They might drink and/or smoke and harm their own health but those same newspapers would decry the medical profession for failing to give decent treatment to people with diabetes, COPD, liver damage or cancer.

In the UK 60x 200mg MST Continus 200mg tablets costs £81.34. I'm pretty sure even though morphine has low oral bioavailability, taking one of these every 12 hours would stop abstinence syndrome... for £2.40/day. But then methadone (10mg/mL) only costs about £100/L so the cost per day is pennies.

That is WHY methadone is so popular. Well, that and it's slow onset and long duration.

Of course methadone can cause serious or even fatal side-effects. THAT message is almost never mentioned by the media.

Last edited:
In 2 words - the media. in the UK the red-top tabloids and the Hate Mail will use dog-whistle headlines to provoke an outcry 'drug addicts given heroin' and go on to say how 'ordinary people' are footing the bill. Ignorance means that people just do not understand or believe that opioid dependence is a disease. They might drink and/or smoke and harm their own health but those same newspapers would decry the medical profession for failing to give decent treatment to people with diabetes, COPD, liver damage or cancer.

In the UK 60x 200mg MST Continus 200mg tablets costs £81.34. I'm pretty sure even though morphine has low oral bioavailability, taking one of these every 12 hours would stop abstinence syndrome... for £2.40/day. But then methadone (10mg/mL) only costs about £100/L so the cost per day is pennies.

That is WHY methadone is so popular. Well, that and it's slow onset and long duration.

Of course methadone can cause serious or even fatal side-effects. THAT message is almost never mentioned by the media.
Making morphine isn't that expensive to make, opium yields a lot of morphine. MS CONTIN is a brand medication as a generic, morphine costs just a fraction of that. Pennies just like methadone. In my country morphine costs 0.20£ for a 60mg pill as a generic. They just wanna keep people on the streets and letting them die, population control in a few words.

Wherever you are, methadone is by far the cheaper. I mean it costs only $526/Kg while morphine is listed as $17,500Kg. That cost is because of how 'poppy straw' is used tather than opium hand-collected daily. So $17/g.

LONG ago Russian businessman approached the company I worked for asked if we could make methadone or an analogue. Only with a licence was the repoy.

Anyone who has IVed methadone will tell you that it can be even more euphoric than diamorphine (medical heroin) and since in bulk it costs so little, in nations where people struggle to afford heroin, it WOULD be hugely popular. Just imagine being able to buy pure methadone for £20/gram. That would still represent a larger profit than heroin... but I noted that even though it has a long duration, people would compulsively re-dose...

Of course, a VERY cheve seller would cut methadone hydrochloride with cyclizine lactate. Snorted, pluggeded or swallowed, people regularly compared IVing the mixture aa as close to a speedball one can get with out H/M + cocaine.

Anyone who remembers Diconal (dipipanone + cyclizine) being the most popular UK street drug (late 80s) will also know that their was even a trade in cyclizine (travelling salesmen would smurf all of the pharmacies wherever he was sent to.) & dealers sold the pills to people on methadone maintaninance.

In short, it was a disaster.

So I 100% agree morphine would be better but the price is due to morphine being extracted from 'poppy straw' and not opium,

im glad that is working for you. I have stayed with linear titration of traditional opioids but if it works for you, and you aren't dying from fent then FUCK YEAH. I have a partner that is on it --- fucked up thing is she was put on it from not having an opioid habit!
she had done opioids a few times and the medical system just was like "YOU HAVE TO DO THIS" and now she's wrapped up in coming off of suboxone which - can be difficult. I will help her get off of it, but like - yeah - the danger here is someone having an 30mg a day oxy habit and getting put on this shit -- in that case, i would strongly recommend just keep taking the short acting normal opioid with black seed and ULDN and jumping off vs a suboxone habit which is notoriously addictive long term.
but i am super glad you are in a better spot, and used correctly i think the depot injections are very useful.
Yeah man. It’s kinda messed up to throw people on opiate maintenance with no opiate true addiction.

I will say that I went to inpatient treatment for propylhexidrine and kratom abuse this year and they put me on 16mg of suboxone for a kratom habit!!!

At first I was angry, well not angry but bothered about it, because now I’m stuck with a long taper and have to do weekly appointments plus two therapy appointments a week just for a kratom habit. And to be clear the kratom wasn’t problematic for me I went for the stimulant abuse which was very much killing me. I even had hypoxia and had some brain damage from it.

But after explaining how they shouldn’t of put me in suboxone for kratom to my outpatient doctor she said she agrees that it’s a little much but it’s just because they don’t have any other MAT options for kratom that are less potent. Yet, the dose should never have been 16mg.

I could have refused at the inpatient facility but I have a habit of playing doctor so I told myself this time I’m going to comply with everything. I even asked to be tapered off after being there a month inpatient but my clinical director said no and that will have to be done outpatient over a period of months and that they recommend I stay on it for 6 months.

All this to say, I understand the predicament your friend is in.