Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Bush doofs are rising from the one-day festival's ashes

poledriver

Bluelighter
BUSH DOOFS ARE RISING FROM THE ONE-DAY FESTIVAL'S ASHES

Doof-article-photo-1-vice-670.jpg

In the past few years it’s become clear that one-day festivals like Groovin’ the Moo, Future, and Big Day Out are dying. Their ailments are varied, but also non-contagious, as a counter insurgence of bush doofs apparently proves. Yes, bush doofs. The one-day festival model might be out, but those ratty weekend acid trips in country towns are thriving. So what have the one-day guys done wrong? And what are the hippies doing right?

In 2014 alone Harvest Music, Peats Ridge, Homebake, Pyramid Rock, Playground Weekender, Push-Over, and the second Sydney BDO show were axed for the simple reason that nobody bought tickets. Groovin’ The Moo only managed to sell out three of six shows, while poor Perth lost both shares of their BDO and Soundwave tours. Australian touring mogul and Soundwave promoter AJ Maddah jumped on board for the 2014 BDO tour, describing the experience as “rowing the lifeboat back to the Titanic.”His company lost an estimated $8 million in the process, while Future Music Entertainment is also now in liquidation and owing creditors $5 million, which by the way, is a rough equivalent to three Avicii appearances.

Doof-article-photo-3.jpg

Now, compare all of that with what we’re currently seeing in ticket-sales for anything in a multi-day format. Earthcore’s second round tickets just went on sale, Strawberry Fields has about 360 tickets left of their second round release, while Burning Seed (the Australian version of Burning Man), Splendour and Summer Confest, are all selling out now. Co-founder of Strawberry Fields, Tara Benney, explained that ticket sales this year have been ridiculous—early birds sold out in an hour. In two and a half days, they’ve sold more tickets than they did in four months last year.

The granddaddy of bush doofs, Rainbow Serpent, this year also sold a record fifteen thousand tickets, which was about the same size as the Adelaide Big Day Out. That comparison might make Rainbow seem small, but keep in mind that bush doofs are traditionally a niche show, while BDO has always aimed to please everyone. Indeed, Benny attributes the failures of more mainstream festivals to their dedication to producing a “balanced and international line-up”, leading to shows where Flosstradamus and Pearl Jam are jammed together. Sort of like putting a shot of tequila in a glass of wine. Individually they’re good drinks, but...

Meredith, Splendour, and Golden Plains know they’re niche and they’re sticking to it, without that hotchpotch trying-to-please-everyone thing. As MONA FOMA curator Brian Ritche argues “people want to feel like they're part of the festival, and that means giving them more than just a predictable and safe array of musical junk food.”

Doof-article-photo-2.jpg

None of this suggests that the one-day crowd have ditched their Vans for gumboots. They are of course, totally different crowds. But the one-day juicehead crowd is getting old, and their festival format doesn’t appeal to the new kids. Basically, the one-day shows crowd has moved on, and there’s been no one to fill the void.

So what’s so appealing about the multi-day format? Eugene Apter, founder of UE Industries which supplies bush doofs with their sculptures and lighting, says that doofs are the celebration of communities coming together. According to him, “you can escape the real world to camp, meditate, massage people, dance and be reborn.” Doofs are about getting weird with your closest friends, getting in touch with yourself and sharing a goon-bong with a girl named Strawberry, and for whatever reason, that suddenly appeals to private school kids and not just the hippies.

Personally, I love leaving the city and heading so far out to boogie in the forest that my phone’s GPS doesn’t know where I am. It definitely beats a sweltering hot day surrounded by fake-tanned teeny boppers at a one-day festival that charges $9 for a bottle of water, $45 for lunch and $90 for a piss-weak vodka redbull. When you think of it like that, it’s seriously no surprise that spiritual doof adventures and multi-day festivals have completely taken over the Australian music festival landscape.

http://www.vice.com/en_au/read/how-bush-doofs-killed-the-one-day-festival

Truth.

Single day festivals still hold some appeal to me personally (though this is almost entirely limited to Defqon 1), though I'm really sick of the way it feels like I spend a week preparing myself for a single-day festival experience, yet a multi-day doof is nothing but a sublime, relaxing experience. No pressure. Turn up, light up, chill. Can't do that at Future, that's for fucking sure.

Tent sex> seeing a girl take a squat in front of the D barrier.

Having a quality camp site to retire to with your mates or stumbling upon random camps and meeting new crazy friends is for me more enjoyable than sweaty topless dudes inching into my personal space

^^^^^ This. Nobody wants to see drunken rank skanks.

My first every multi-day festival experience was last year's Dragon Dreaming. Hands down the best festival so far, kicked the crap out of any single day shite I've put myself through :)

I agree that the BDO line up has been spread too far and wide in terms of genre. It hasn't appealed to me in years. However Soundwave has been far more appealing due to the same types of music being offered. In saying that, what's the point in offering so many great bands when most of them are on at the same times as all the other ones? When I saw Metallica at Soundwave, it meant I had to miss out on Blink as they were on at the same time on a different stage. I would rather buy separate tickets….

That is of course if the prices weren't so high. I think $100 is still the acceptable number for a one day event. $150, $200, and more is just ridiculous, especially when you are paying $8+ for a mid strength beer ($192 for a carton that I could by for $35!). Combine crazy prices with massive lines for toilets, drinks and food and these things turn into a nightmare. Taking some pills is the better and cheaper option, that is unless there is a heavy police presence preventing this.

As such, creating your own events with good mates at your home or camping is definitely the cheaper and more enjoyable way of doing things for me.

Just watch out this doesnt happen - (last week) -

19 arrested and more than $30,000 of drugs seized during rave near Coffs Harbour

Monday, 30 June 2014 10:43:25 AM

Police have arrested 19 people and seized drugs with an estimated potential street value of more than $30,000 during an unauthorised rave party on the Coffs Coast at the weekend.

The 24-hour event, Frosty FrapTangle, started at 2pm on Saturday (28 June 2014), at a rural property at Upper Orara.

Operation Borasca was established by officers from Coffs/Clarence Local Area Command, assisted by Operations Support Group, Traffic and Highway Patrol Command and Dog Unit, to manage policing and safety issues associated with the event.

Representatives from Coffs Harbour City Council were also in attendance because the event and construction on-site did not have prior approval.

During the operation, police, including drug-detection dogs, conducted 253 vehicle searches, including random breath tests (RBT), and located 41 vehicles containing drugs.

Officers arrested 19 people and charged them with 34 drug-related offences and a further 25 people were issued cannabis cautions.

Officers located and seized cannabis, cocaine, speed, ecstasy (MDMA) and LSD, with an estimated potential street value of $34,000.

In addition, officers conducted a further 38 random breath tests and issued 21 Traffic Infringement Notices.

Acting Coffs/Clarence Local Area Command Crime Manager, Detective Acting Inspector Peter O’Reilly, said police would not tolerate unauthorised events and illegal activity.

“Police have been working closely with the council to prevent unauthorised dance parties from taking place in our community,” Det A/Insp O’Reilly said.

“We are happy to provide support to event organisers to hold exciting events on the Coffs Coast, provided they seek appropriate approvals and their activities do not put our community at risk.

“Across NSW, police continually remind people that prohibited drugs are not only illegal, but also highly dangerous and potentially life-threatening, yet some people refuse to heed our warnings.

“We have received reports that a young woman was taken to hospital during the event for treatment for a suspected drug overdose.

“People need to remember that police aren’t here to spoil anyone’s fun, our job is to minimise harm and keep our community safe,” Det A/Insp O’Reilly said.

Significant arrests during the operation include:

* A 19-year-old Forresters Beach man was charged with drug supply and two counts of drug possession.

* A 21-year-old Lismore man was charged with three counts of drug supply and deal with proceeds of crime.

* Another 21-year-old Lismore man was charged with drug supply and two counts of drug possession.

The men have been granted strict conditional bail to appear at Coffs Harbour Local Court on Monday 21 July 2014.

This doesn't surprise me one bit.. it's a much more enjoyable and free atmosphere, of which one day festivals are the complete opposite.

Went to Ozora last year in Hungary, and heading to BOOM Festival in 3 weeks.. if i'm going to head to big festivals; these are the ones i prefer.. 7+ days is where it's at for me.

Here’s Your Trance, Now Dance: The Rise Of The Australian Psytrance Scene

psytrance.jpg

Australia’s psytrance and doof scene is fast gaining momentum, attracting people from all walks of life and moving beyond its connotations with hippie stereotypes. Pulse's Sally Westlake finds out more.

The velocity calms for a voice to rise from the speakers, “How can we exist but not in terms of flowing in direction? There may be only this now, this individual now, and now and now and now…”. The energy re-consumes, and you’re dancing blissfully in trance until a man in a pink wig jolts you awake by offering you something brownish in a crushed up bottle. If this scene sounds familiar, then perhaps you too have been to the other side; somewhere in the Australian psytrance scene.

It’s an interesting time for Australia’s psytrance and ‘doof’ scene, essentially niche and underground events that have begun to grow in both popularity and media attention. For many people these events are an important, safe environment for free and true expression, and this vibe really depends on the crowd.

It’s true; multi-day camping in often isolated and harsh conditions, combined with total inhibition and intense psychological music banging 24-7, is not for everyone. It’s an environment that breaks down walls…and some people have weird shit behind their walls.

It’s generally the ‘hippie’ subcultures who frequent these parties, but you have to wonder what draws a stereotype typically associated with worn guitars and daisy chains to one of the most extreme genres of electronic music. Further, what’s attracting the broader streams of the Australian population?

“I think the scene has grown to a point where there is an oversaturation of clubs and events that are just following the same formula,” says Earthcore founder Spiro Boursine. “The outdoor scene doesn’t have a formula. It creates a whole new world for people to escape to and have the time of their lives. The sense of adventure is still a huge drawcard.”

In 1993, Boursine and a crew of 200 like-minded friends from the underground Melbourne scene headed into the Australian bush, which then grew into what is now considered the country’s biggest bush doof some 20 years later. In a sense, Boursine and his first crew of Earthcorers gave birth to an entire scene. The Australian doof community has since grown to include names as big as Strawberry Fields and Rainbow Serpent, as well as countless of independently run parties in every state across the country.

While the mainstreaming of these events is a concern in the traditional psytrance community, it’s unknown whether keeping these events exclusive is either sustainable or necessarily desirable. As long as newcomers have an open mind and respect for the scene’s integrity, perhaps the more the merrier? Pick up your rubbish, don’t be annoying and do not by any means be suppressive. Wearing an awesome costume also helps.

psy6_zps491fcfff.jpg

Boursine sees the expansion of the scene as a positive: “It has been great to see a new generation of doofers who have a genuine love for the music and the scene. It’s easy for older party folk to get jaded and cast a shadow over people but in reality, the new generation are injecting new life and energy into the scene.”

Charlotte, a good friend of mine and a passionate doofer, probably sums up what draws many people to the scene when she says; “the freedom of self-expression, the lack of judgement and the escape from society always lures me…the people, the music and the vibe allows you to let go of the daily grime and re-connect with yourself, like a musically enhanced meditation.” Her comment reminds me of a mantra: “Trance isn’t just music, it’s a state of mind.”

psy4_zps2e358ed4.jpg

Rob Bennett, a leader of trance seminars and workshops across Germany and Europe provides the best insights on the subject.

“We all have a deep longing and need for ecstatic experience,” he says. “We spend a great deal of our lives thinking, planning, talking, reading- being rational. Even when we take time off we tend to fill it with activities where our brain waves are predominantly within the rational; thinking beta frequency range. We need a break, time-out from concentration and rationality. We need to experience states of trance or ecstasy in our waking lives, as a balance to all that thinking.”

Meditation, chanting mantras, guided imagery, hypnosis and yoga are among the methods humans have developed to help reach the Alpha state, however according to Bennett, the oldest practice is the “trance dance”.

It may not be something we think about consciously, but our love of the ‘ecstatic’ and trance-inducing dance could be in our blood and bones. You know that uncontrollable urge to get yourself to an all-encompassing soundsystem and dance the night away (even when you have work in the morning)? Our earliest ancestors felt that too. In many primitive societies, ecstatic dance rituals were an important part of life. Many are still practiced today; the Australian Aboriginal unity dance, the Sufi whirling dervishes, and the Masai of Kenya’s Adumu dance.

psy2_zps737f8cae.jpg

psy3_zpsd1d32996.jpg

Continued -

https://pulseradio.net/articles/201...ce-the-rise-of-the-australian-psytrance-scene

Mark this as the exact moment of things turning to shit.

The same thing happened when the rave scene went from an underground, predominantly gay scene of great pills and trance in hidden clubs down forgotten alleyways to suddenly attracting knuckle heads who wanted to know where all the cute girls went dancing for the night.

This can only end badly as more people who think a doof is a place to get fucked up and loose with no security come pouring in by the ute load. At the moment the local small town coppers are happy for us to party, so long as no one is an idiot on the roads and money is spent in towns on the way through.

I really hope it doesn't ruin things, but I've seen what happens when meth freaks ruined the NNSW doof's and don't really hold out much hope.

Our only chance is silently slipping back into the underground and keeping parties smaller and perhaps a little more exclusive.

But the VLAD laws got rid of the bikers & their horrible meth.....
You'll be safe hippy.

Our only hope is the small children running around makes it crystal clear the sort of vibe that is preferred at doofs.

By all mean head off and camp with 15000 weekend warriors at Rainbow serpent but please give the little parties a wide swerve if you want to sleep in your car after 48 hrs solid in front of the speakers.

I struggle feeling comfortable at doofs. I enjoy psytrance, I enjoy psychedelics, I enjoy complete inhibition, weirdness, free expression, free love, these are all beautiful things. BUT...maybe it's because the only doofs I've been to were smaller ones in nsw with an iffy vibe, I just can't get over the feeling that there's something blasphemous about going into the peacefulness and tranquility of nature and blasting psytrance all day and night. I live in the city and my enjoyment in nature comes from (both tripping and when sober) letting the silence speak. I also get overstimulated easily and a combo of psychs, music, lights and activity can feel overwhelming.

I wish I could enjoy doofs but I just can't shake the feeling that something isn't quite right.

Last edited:
I struggle feeling comfortable at doofs. I enjoy psytrance, I enjoy psychedelics, I enjoy complete inhibition, weirdness, free expression, free love, these are all beautiful things. BUT...maybe it's because the only doofs I've been to were smaller ones in nsw with an iffy vibe, I just can't get over the feeling that there's something blasphemous about going into the peacefulness and tranquility of nature and blasting psytrance all day and night. I live in the city and my enjoyment in nature comes from (both tripping and when sober) letting the silence speak. I also get overstimulated easily and a combo of psychs, music, lights and activity can feel overwhelming.

I wish I could enjoy doofs but I just can't shake the feeling that something isn't quite right.

A good doof, like a good DJ, manipulates the vibe by clever use of the set list. It shouldn't be 48 hrs straight hard style like a rave, with a second chill out zone for people to curl up into a ball and cry off a bad trip.

As the night turns to morning the sounds should mellow, allowing people to sleep, coating the campsite with a peaceful vibe. Then as the sun rises and people try to warm themselves, the chosen DJ slowly increases the intensity until the dance floor becomes a sea of dancers stomping in rhythm.

An event like earth dance which has a more spiritual family feel is completely different to a larger scale event like earth freq or rainbow serpent. I don't really buy into the hippy shit personally but I do see the value of holding hands while a white witch burns sage and introducing yourself to fellow doof ears at the start of an event. If you can't take the time to connect with strangers then it's a fair bet you won't fit in. Different regions doof to differing vibes, it's why I avoid Byron bay events and stick to SEQ ones despite them only being 3 hrs apart.

Doofing or not, whenever you camp you should leave no foot print. The same rule applies to a mainstream festival. Pick up your rubbish and take it home. Don't leave a mess and expect someone else to do it. Most doof's I attend actually stp the music half way through and every one does an emu parade, walking through the site picking up rubbish. Imagine doing that at a big day out.

I suppose I haven't gone to the right parties. Mates who aren't into psy enjoyed Ozora and other overseas festivals; I just have a bit of a bad tint on the whole experience. Hopefully I'll go to another one someday and get the bug.

Photo three posts above is from Splendour last week supposedly.