• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

buprenorphine causing opiate receptors to function iimproperly

2toned

Greenlighter
Will years of taking buprenorphine cause opiate receptors to malfunction? Relative to taking full agonist opiates?

I cannot imagine it would. If you randomly stopped, your brain would definitely need time to reset itself, just like with any other drug, but it shouldnt cause any malfunction. Did something make you think this was possible? like some sort of research?

HeadHigh is correct. It will cause you to develop a really high tolerance for most opioids, but this will dissipate over a relatively short period of time. The high the dose, the longer you're on it will determine how long your brain takes to reactive it's "normal" balance, but you have to remember that the organ is highly resilient and our bodies are very good at healing and repairing themselves, if only we allow them the time and space to do so.

Am I correct in my thinking that partial agonist doesn't cause brain to develop as much more receptors than what full agonist would do when taking in equivalent doses?

Yes, the dependency is very similar and there is a similarly painful withdrawal.

I feel that the peripheral opiate receptors in the gut are the last to return to normal. Just my experience.

Any time you take something at high doses for long periods of time, you will cause damage. However, if you are coming off of full opiate agonists to partial agonists such as buprenorphine, your brain will start to normalize somewhat but not totally as long as you are using. If you get it to a minimum dose, your brain can still recover but not fully until you are completely free of the drug.