• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Buffy the Vampire Slayer

sparkle_jez

Ex-Bluelighter
yes, just saw the lasy episode the other night!!!!./ must say i was a little dissapointed!!! bcos spike died in the end!!!! fuck!!!!!
spike was the bestest character!!!!!! with his cockney accent and just brilliant charisma!!!
damn man!!!!!! i guess he did go out in a blaze of glory, but i wouldve preferred if he survived....i mean, for fuck sakem that wanker Angel survived, but Spike didnt....grrrrr!!!! shit ending!!!!! Angel is crap!!!! Spike has tonnes of attitude!!!!!!
lol grrrrrrr

anyone else feel the same????

EH heh... go have a read about the new series of Angel that will be coming out... Spike is going to be in the new series of Angel, I'm not exactly sure how, but he is.

But as far as Angel being crap... oh dear... you couldn't be further from the truth, Angel was a far far superior series for the last seasons that have just been out. Much darker, more intense story lines and just more cool :)

These are personal opinions here, but from a self-confessed Buffy/Angel freak/fanboy I can and will defend myself to the nth degree ;)

PS, not in the UK, we here in Australia had the last episode about 6 months ago...

CB :)

... actually spike is already in the season... he returns as a ghost...
yeah but we aren't getting next season Angel until sometime into the new year here in Australia, so he hasn't here yet ;)

!!!

what a thorough and intelligent analysis of the final episode 8(

actually, the episode (and the last season in its entirety, considering the distinct *averageness* of season six) was pretty good. despite a couple of horrible plot-holes and a focus on the result (big metaphorical finish, lots of empowering scenes) rather than the process (can't see the forest for the trees), it was done really quite well.

and no, angel didn't die - i'd imagine that the show -angel- would have some difficulty continuing had he not been around. that said, yeah, spike came back as a ghost (though they've sorted that out now, at least) - he's a fantastic character, and though i still haven't made up my mind as to whether i like him on angel or not, it's gotta be a good thing to have an actor of the calibre of marsters around the show.

buffy is the best t.v. show of recent years, and angel's quite good too. (btw, any australians, go buy metro magazine - i've got an article about angel in there :))...

Last edited:
tv: buffy: the vampire slayer

Originally posted by Solipsist
Quick thoughts on "Buffy" :
- Fantastic characters = Oz, Spike, early Xander, evil Angel, Andrew, Faith.
- Hideously vile characters = FUCKING DAWN (words cannot do justice to my seething hatred for her), Riley, Gloria, Tara, Buffy after her Mum died and all she was capable of was crying in every single episode, pretty much all the potential slayers.
- The seasons in high school were better than the seasons in college in every possible way, and Season 3 was the best of all: Oz, Angel, Faith, the Mayor... great stuff.
- Season 6 was TERRIBLE. Sure, it had the "Once More, With Feeling" episode, but the rest pretty much consisted of everyone crying all the time. Vomit.
- Did you notice that Xander got fat towards the end of the series?
- Did you also notice that in the final season of "Buffy" that Angel's character would change when he made a cameo? He was completely in love with Cordelia, and yet when he heads to Sunnydale to give Buffy the pendant, he immediately kisses her and then hints that he'll wait forever for her. Bad form, Cordelia > Buffy.

okay, initial thoughts (and i have many many more):

xander was, and always has been, one of my favourite characters - probably because i identify with most of his insecurities.

i absolutely fucking hated dawn in season five. in season six she grew on me, but i still disliked her. season seven, imo, saw her come into her own. trachtenberg is a marvellous young actress, and seven - with the growth of her from a "child" into a really btvs "teenager" - had the writers feeling obviously more comfortable with her characterisation. i enjoyed her in the final season.

i think tara was great. when she spoke less i guess she annoyed me - but i fucking hated season four as a whole anyway. she had a really understated intelligence to her, helped mostly by amber's subtle delivery.

season six grew on me. i disliked it first up (though not just 'cause it was dark - i *like* dark - more for some inconsistencies in character), but i got to like it much better on second viewing.

yep, nick brendon got fat. it was just him - nothing specifically to do with xander's character (in fact, the opposite, since he was working on building sites).

whilst i personally am not a massive fan of *buffy* herself, i can totally understand angel's love for her - there was a deep connection there - one much stronger than between he and cordelia - and i never really saw that being inconsistent at all.

that's all for the moment, i'll be back.

^^That seems to be quite common, liking season six on second viewing. I thought when I first saw it, some of the stuff (Willow being addicted to magick, Spike and Buffy's "relationship" etc) kind of got on my tits a bit for the sheer uncharacteristic behaviour, and it's generally miserable tone. But, when you look at it again, like all the way through from season 1 - 7, season 6 actually works really well in context.. Now, I think it could even be the best series of the lot!.

The characters were great too, the whole thing is like an ensemble piece with each of the actors playing their parts like it's what they were born to do! And as for the writing, some of that dialogue is up there with the best comedy shows, especially the many Anya/Willow exchanges. The whole thing is generally well-written too, and I like the fact they kept up the pace with original stories for seven years, not a lot of TV shows manage that these days...

Anya (on medieval witch trials): "You see, if you were a real witch you could just do a spell and get away. The real problem was for the falsely accused. And, well, they never have a good time."

one of the great aspects of the show is how, even in their happiest moments, there is still suffering of some kind: willow gets tara back only to have her murdered, buffy and angel get busy only for him to lose his soul, giles and jenny finally get close and angel kills jenny, xander leaves anya at the alter and she sleeps with spike. i mean, it's an endless path of destruction for every character. it's refreshing not having everything ending in happiness. pretty much everyone in that town knew what was going on too, but they never talked about it, it was just understood.

the best thing ever, was of course willow. she went from a meek, week nerd to a powerful witch that could hold her own against the slayer. anya was another great character. some of the blunt things she would say had me in stitches. then anya got together with xander and sparks flew. giles was also wonderful, of course. he was so stiffly british, and yet had a background built on turmoil. spike was an absolutely funny character, especially after he got neutered but before he got all bent on buffy.

as far as seasons go, how can you pick one over the other? each had there own wonderful episodes. season three had faith stirring things up, which rocked. but six had dark willow, so i guess that's a big bonus for me.

i realize i could go on forever about this show so i think i'll continue later on.

Thanks to Netflix (and FX's showing of the entire series from start to finish starting last week), I'm enjoying the series as it was meant to be enjoyed. :)

Season 6 was dark and all but season 2 was really melancholy and clicked with me. You had angel killing jenny and buffy leaving town. Even just great moments like when the scoobies were poking around Ted's pad or when Giles lost it when that demon he used to get high off of came looking for him. The show was just more interesting when the characters seemed more flawed and angst ridden.

I had my doubts but I tuned in and became addicted to this show in high school. The light humour mixed in with drama and fantasy/horror made the show. It all went down hill when they made willow a lesbian, it became too much Dawsons Creek with vampires thrown in.

I love Buffy (the show, not SMG) and although I hated Dawns whiney voice at first, season six and seven I began to really like her.

Xander was always my favourite, as I could relate to him the most. Giles was also a big favourite of mine, especially in the later seasons when he went back to England and only appeared in a few episodes.

The Nerds were funny as hell, I loved every minute they were on the TV and Andrew in the end was one of my all time favourite characters, along with Anya.

i have to say thank god for reruns on FX or i'd be lost. there is definitely a hole in television shows now without btvs. buffy, and angel, encapsulated many different genres in every one hour, movie-like episode. there was extreme fighting, intense drama, light and dark comedy, romance, horror, sci-fi and fantasy, everything. it was something to get lost into for an hour a week. you knew the characters well, you knew their habits and reactions, but you were still surprised by them. everything always worked out in the end, but not in a way you would expect, there was still a tragedy of some sort.

one episode i have to comment on is "once more, with feeling." fantastic just about sums it up. a lot of buried issues were brought to light by song. it's pretty queer, but i get goosebumps when i hear the line "i've got a theory it doesn't matter...," which leads into a summary of their personal sacrifices for the greater good. yeah, i even bought the episode soundtrack.

you gotta give it up to xander. he was always most of the comic relief. and a huge heart. he brought buffy to life in season one, brought willow back from darkness in season six. but how about that little speech he gives to dawn somewhere near the end of season seven, about how hard it is being the average one without any powers. he tells her she's not special... she's extraordinary. brings a tear to my eye.

someone better create a show soon that gives me characters i can love! :)

Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel are 2 of my absolute favourite shows. The plot lines, the character development, the dialogue... all amazing.

The one thing that comes to mind that really sums up the show for me was something that I heard in an interview with Sarah Michelle Gellar. She was asked why with her burgeoning movie career (this was just after Cruel Intentions and the like) that she would continue to do things like Buffy... she responded something along the lines of:

We don't do Buffy for the money, or anything, we do it because it is fucking cool :)

Can't remember exactly what she said but the intention is there... Buffy was never mainstream, it was always a niche audience, but it fulfilled and satisfied that audience completely :)

Now the quest comes to own the entire series of Buffy and Angel on DVD ;)

I absolutely loved the depiction of Willow's insecurity throughout the series. In the start- the quiet geek- obviously shy and insecure. But even later on she requires constant reassurance that she's worthwhile and valuable- "You don't need magic to be special"... until season 7 when she seems to finally develop some sense of self-respect that isn't based on her supernatural abilities etc.

little help? i'm trying to remember the song that was played when buffy did the 'sexy dance' with xander to make angel jealous, first season i think it was.