• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Brisbane Drug Rehabilitation and Detoxification Experiences and Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nozphexezest

Greenlighter
Hi,

It's kind of late at the moment so I'll keep this short:

I have an opiate addiction, and I'm going to detoxification and then rehabilitation in Brisbane (I live in Toowoomba). I have already booked a bed at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital at the 18th March (about a week from now), and I plan on heading to rehabilitation afterwards. Here is the problem, though:

I'm having difficulty finding which rehabilitation is most suitable. I'm not Religious, although I am a theist - so I don't really buy into the Religious ideals that so many of the rehabilitation centers preach. I was planning on going to the Salvation Army in Brisbane, but I hear they make you do a lot of work while you're there, and that they're very strict in Christian code as well. I really don't know where to go from here, as I'm only young and I have never been into rehabilitation or detox. The only time I've ever stayed in Hospital is at a psych ward (here I went through withdrawal), but that was a very different experience from what I expect of detoxification and rehabilitation.

I'm really lost. I feel like I have to go to Rehabilitation, but nothing seems suitable and there's not much information available - even on their websites. They're all extremely strict, Religious and the length of some of the programs makes me worry (some last up to a year). The only people I have that can help me is my Dad, who knows jackshit about any of this, and some lady from Drug Arm (and the most she can provide is the phone numbers and locations of these places). I am just... so lost and overwhelmed. Do rehabilitation centers even allow you to go out on occasion, because I think it would break my Mom's heart if she realized I was going through this shit again. And I don't think I can avoid family obligation and other things for nearly a year.

I think somebody's experience in both detox and rehabilitation (especially rehabilitation) would really shine some clarity on the situation. What do you do for a pastime at rehab, since they have such long stays? Do they have TV? Do they let you read or draw?! What are the activities? What is the accommodation? Is it like a regular housing area or is it more like a Hospital? I am so confused.

God or not, expect any place you go to be strict with a strong emphasis on routines and working hard to eliminate idle down time. They are not designed to be a holiday camp where you sit around playing guitar or drawing pretty pictures while you detox. Drug addicts are known to be lying manipulators, who will say one thing and change their minds when the going gets tough. I'm not saying they will chain you down and beat your addiction out of you with a long stick, but it will be hard. There are long waiting lists for most public/"free" clinics and the relapse rate is high. If was was easy the success rate would be a lot higher.

Even expensive private clinics run a tight regimental regime. If you think this is too harsh then you are not ready for rehab. Thoughts like "I don't think…." won't cut it I'm afraid. Many people here will attest to times they were forced to detox/rehab when their heart wasn't in it and they soon slipped back into old habits. It shouldn't matter how ugly the accommodation is or how boring your stay will be, your only thoughts should be for the battle ahead.

You don't have to embrace God or become a born again if you don't want to. If it makes it easier to swallow try and internalise the religious component and consider your own soul as your "god". Whether you believe in God or not doesn't change your own goal of becoming drug free.

We do have a thread regarding rehabs, though it's not focused on Brisbane, you might find some ideas there: Rehab clinics; how, where, who, when and what you have experienced..

One that is mentioned there and that I have heard good things about is the Buttery. It's in NSW but you can go from interstate, you just need enough money to cover your return journey home if for any reason you decide to leave or get asked to leave. The payment is 80% of your centrelink benefits. I imagine there'd be private clinics in Brisbane too. If you have the right level of health insurance most of the cost will be covered. Even if you don't, if you get health insurance, the waiting period for psychiatric services can be as short as two months.

This is the drug and alcohol information line in Queensland: 1800 177 833. It's 24 hours. I've used this before, they're pretty good at linking you up with services and providing information on what's available. These lines are a really good first step to see what's available.

Finally, there is often a significant wait to get into rehabs. I think you're very unlikely to get in anywhere straight after detox - it can take months on the waiting list. Are you confident you're going to be able to stay clean in the intervening time..? Some rehabs require you to come straight from detox so it's typical to arrange the rehab before the detox, to ensure there's not a big gap between the two. Waiting lists for detox are generally much shorter.

Even expensive private clinics run a tight regimental regime. If you think this is too harsh then you are not ready for rehab. Thoughts like "I don't think…." won't cut it I'm afraid. Many people here will attest to times they were forced to detox/rehab when their heart wasn't in it and they soon slipped back into old habits. It shouldn't matter how ugly the accommodation is or how boring your stay will be, your only thoughts should be for the battle ahead.

Except for the fact that I just went through Detox, and I had no problems with their regime. Having concern for what rehab and detox is best for me isn't a sign of doubt, it's a sign that I care enough not to make a mistake and end up being in the wrong rehab. I've heard a lot of rehabs are Christian based, and that they treat homosexuals like shit. I'm not gay, but to think that I would end up there and be punished for something that is completely irrelevant from getting better worries me.

I'm not going to rehab. I'm doing outpatient activities like AA and Drug Arm and ATODS now. And I really resent the fact that you're suggesting I'm incapable of getting clean just because I had anxiety about detox and rehab. Who the fuck doesn't?! I'm 19. I've never been in detox before. But I'm guessing I'll relapse, lose my family, become homeless and die because I'm apparently too weak to beat an addiction. Give me a break. I really resent that.

And yeah, I drew in detox. I drew a shitload of pictures. What the fuck are you even talking about? The regime was fine. You're acting as if they chain you up and send you to work on the railroads - surviving on rations of bread and any roadkill nearby. Jesus christ.

So what stopped you detoxing at home drawing pretty pictures in your bedroom?

You are the one who came he worried about places being too strict and programmes that last for up to a year. I just told you to suck it up. Congratulations on the detox, come see me again when you are 21 and tell me how you have stayed clean and turned your life around. I'm just pointing out that for the majority of people rehab is more than a doddle and it takes commitment not excuses.

Don't worry about him Nozphexezest, he tries to stir everyone up and thinks he's better than everyone else on the board.

Why?

How much schooling did you have before you became such a cunt? Are you satisfied with your level of cuntiness or do you need to become more of a cunt?

Just trying to stay on topic. Are we talking 1 or 2?

What sort of advise would you give for someone trying to get off drugs?

My situation is as relevant as yours is.

I think inpatient rehabs are fucked. I think outpatient rehabs could be better. There aren't any that I've seen do a good job, and people who ridicule people for trying to quit as well as ridicule people for being addicts, no matter their circumstances (sound familiar?) are cunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.