Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

bringing legit prescriptions [sub. + val] into Asia [esp. Thailand]

ControlDenied

Bluelighter
Hey chums. [I'm asking this question here cuz australians are closer to this part of the world]

Quick quest:

I know about how harsh and maniacal cops are in Thailand and other Asian countries about drugs. And in SEA, they are more corrupt and insane than places like Taiwan etc.

But I'm probably going there to teach English. I'm very clean cut, and I'll be dressing snappy etc. I look like a student nerd. just mentioning this cuz it matters a lot when it comes to cops etc.

now for the actual question: I'm prescribed 2 mg daily suboxone and 10 mg valium. I read online I can bring it into Thailand with a doctor's note.

Should I be alright? What we're gonna do [me and my doctor], since my sub. dose is so low, is SQUISH it into what appears to be "30 days worth" to make it viable. According to Thai law, it will be legal.

But realistically, how likely is it the security at the airport will fuck with me? I mean it's prescribed, legal; will be in a pharmacy vial, with a doctor's note. I also plan to have the contact of the Canadian embassy on hand.

I figure the cops will just pass me by, cuz they obviously have foreigners coming through with prescriptions to drugs that can be recreational when taken illegally. Also ,they do prescribe these drugs in Thailand and throughout Asia [except Korea and Japan]. I read a guy online saying he was "on methadone in Thailand". I know foreigners CAN get it prescribed in Bangkok.

THANKS for your help my cousins [I'm in Canada=the Arctic Australia... the Tropical Canada]

You shouldn't have any trouble. I carry Valium all the time and have never been asked. Although I do carry the prescription with me just in-case. I can't vouch for the subs although there shouldn't be any trouble if you carry a Doctor's note... I'm assuming you are flying into BKK?

^ do you live in Thailand? BKK? I'll be flying in Bangkok most certainly.

http://time.com/3674200/thailand-tourism-police-corruption-shakedown-extortion/

some scary info.

“Many reports of innocent tourists forced to pay bribes.”

tourists being randomly detained for URINE TESTS. not while clubbing, but like, just walking around or on the bus.

starting to second guess thailand... this also explains how unusually eager they were to hire me there lol...

Last edited:
With the Subs just have your prescription and a note from your doctor and you will be fine, I have travelled all over with subs and never had a problem.

I'm talking about Thailand specifically though. have you been there with subs?

also im worried about the upturn in police harassment of tourists. hopefully it's dying down... but that's another topic for another thread in another website altogether!

If you have a doctors note I can't see the problem, I have traveled across Europe with valium and a doctors note no problem. I realise Europe and Asia are quite different in terms of drug enforcement, for what it is worth I did stop over in Malaysia both ways, but only to change flights (unfortunately).

I think it would be a diplomatic disaster if Thailand actually prosecuted a foreigner for possession of legally prescribed drugs, it is one thing if you are buying benzo's from dodgy pharmacies without a prescription, but if you do things on the up and up I just don't see a problem. At worst, some low level cop might try and extract a bribe from you, and if you refuse to pay you might spend a few hours at the local police station until someone with some sense realises what is going on. I am obviously speculating, but I just think if this was a real risk I would have heard of it happening.

The one thing you might be rolling the dice on is condensing your suboxone and misrepresenting how many days worth it is. If you have a note for 30 days worth of suboxone but you have been in Thailand for 90 days and still have suboxone left, then that might raise some questions. I don't know Thai law at all, so maybe you would be in some kind of fraudulent violation to take in more than you claimed to need.

I am happy to let this one stay open for now, but if responses get towards anything to do with breaking the law this will be shut down immediately. This thread is strictly for the discussion of traveling in Asia with controlled drugs that have been prescribed by an Australian doctor and purchased in an Australian pharmacy. I don't want to see any advice about obtaining drugs overseas or traveling with non prescribed drugs.

you cant even buy codeine products over there. people look at you like an addict when asked in the pharmacies

probably because you were asking for codeine to abuse it, or for withdrawal, no?

sure, in the West we're used to our addictions and maniacal self-indulgence to be humoured by everyone with diplomacy and dignity...

yeh, i think the 30 days thing is tricky. Maybe I'll just have to ask for permission from their gov't. that's what worries me, is their new gov't is stricter than ever.

on the other hand, if it is "disguised" as 30 days, i cant imagine how they would ever figure out the discrepancy. they'd have to look at the date, the dose, my time in thailand, the amount of pills left...

i think you're right, if they see the doctor's note and legal nature of the prescription, it'll be fine. but being harassed and fined is exactly what im woried about, which is why i wanted advice from people with experience in SEA. Europe is completely opposite. it's more laissez-faire than Australia, Canada or England. by FAR. I've traveled extensively in Europe.

I'm not asking for advice on how to buy illegal drugs. So I don't see why anyone would offer that advice.

If you carry the doctor's note, you will be fine. I've carried benzos with me all over SE Asia via air with my prescription. Never been pulled up yet. If you're touting around BKK and keen for a singha PM me!

:D

I am pretty wary of Asian countries . They can be rather inconsistent .....
Wonder if it would be worth contacting the relevant embassy / consulate before departing and explain your position ?
Then , once you have a green light in writing [ and a copy back home ] they would be hard pressed to prosecute .
Luck , and have a great holiday !!

There are several methadone clinics in the major cities of Thailand. I myself use them as I holiday there annually. Sometimes it does feel rather like "a leap of faith" : arriving with only one days dose & consuming on the plane before disembarkation, however I havent had any issues being prescribed a week's worth at a time. The clinics also have benzo's. the clincher is that you MUST have a doctors note, I fax mine over a few days in advance & take a hard copy. You will be presented with an ID / licence to posess the drugs. I do not travel with them...I know Thai cops far too well to have any illusions that they would honour this. Best wishes New Zealand

Last edited:
There are several methadone clinics
Do you have contact details or is that too much like hooking up drugs. I'll be traveling to Thailand in 10 weeks. My Dr is happy to give me 3 weeks of physeptone but this looks like an alternative to that.

Take the physeptone. AND the docs letter....well, thats what id do but im a shocking junky! When are you in asia?

As has been stated it isno problem importing personal quantities of medication into Thailand so long as you have a valid prescription. However that isnt the case in many regional nations. Malaysia for example bans all Sub and Bupe even if by prescription.

I'm here now mate. In phuket now and off the chiang mai in 5 days. Send me a message on 0991871167 if you like. I am keen to meet up. I'm doing well so far. Not ahead of schedule yet.

Malaysia ha a methadone clinic in KL. Ive used it. Asians respond better to their own drug liscencing and once youve made initial visits it becomes a lot easier to find friendly faces. Some parts of se asia are so liberal its almost funny. They do have punitive measures but nowhere as bad as new zealand regarrds benzo use. Best......NZ

Well done james. I left CNX 2 Weeks ago but i sent you a detailed msg to ur inbox on what to do if you find urself running low. Best and happy to stay in touch as i may need some info re methadone in melbourne...NZ

Sorry thread might be old but i travelled to Hong Kong, Mainland China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia in one big trip. Carried with my Oxy, Xanax and Vallium and Stilnox. Just had the doc write me an official letterhead with permission to travel with the medication, checked in China, Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam no issues what so ever.

Then took the docs note to Cambodia only to be laughed at when i said prescription and instead I was just handed a big book of prescriptions and told to point and choose haha

Just to add to the above, you can easily apply only for a permit to carry restricted medication in Hong Kong (chief pharmacist via email) and Singapore (HSA has a permit application form). I have done this for dexamphetamine, zolpidem and diazepam. Until I submitted my application for all my meds I hadn't realised that diazepam actually also required a permit. Stilnox did not require a permit in HK. I believe that Thailand may also have a permit system through their FDA. China and Malaysia I think only required copies of the prescription and a letter from your doctor.
I have never had any issues or been asked to present my permit but given the strict laws in these countries I feel much more comfortable knowing that I have it.