• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Brief SSRI exposure ruin my alcohol buzz permanently?

doingalright

Greenlighter
A few weeks ago tried one 10mg pill of the SSRI Lexapro (escitalopram) and had an awful reaction to it. This was my first and only SSRI ever. Anyway, after taking it, I puked too many times to count and had panic attacks all day. My brain felt like it was running a thousand miles an hour. I felt like I was gonna die. The next day I had some weird "brain zaps" and those lasted for about a week. Luckily, I felt okay afterwards.

Although, ever since I took that Lexapro, I can't seem to get an alcohol buzz anymore. Its strange. Its like I can't get the happy, euphoric feeling from alcohol anymore. I just get tired and a little relaxed from it now.

Anyone ever had this happen before? Has anyone taken an SSRI in the past and noticed a difference in how alcohol makes them feel now? I'm hoping that pill didn't cause some kind of permanent damage to me. It felt like that Lexapro fucked up my brain.

Antidepressants are known to screw up peoples minds beyond belief.......doctors/psychiatrists hand them out like candy knowing 100% that they can cause severe reactions to people & they could care less.

Am I surprised that 1 Lexapro did all this to you? Absolutely not......they ate know to rewire your brain no matter what the supposed psychotic experts say.

I would stay far away from antidepressants no matter how much you may think you need them.

Yes its possible that 1 pill could have done this to your brain & you're not able to catch a buzz.

If I were you, I would wait about a month to see if you can catch a buzz, if not, you have your answer.

wow 1 escitalopram pill was enough to give you those infamous brain zaps and all that shit? im not callin bullshit but fuck that really sucks. antidepressants suck anyway!

from personal experience, i have taken both fluoxetina and escitalopram for some periods of time and it never affected the alcohol buzz for me.

that being said, your brain is obviously different, and just like Lost said, wait and see if you get back to normal. some people report feeling dull after SSRI discontinuation, so that can be killing your alcohol euphoria and buzz. i know that for a period of heavy weed smoking and coming off of SSRIs at the sime time i surely felt very dull and apathetic. note that alcohol isn't classicly euphoric you know, it's kinda subjective (comparing it to dopaminergic drugs and all that jazz you know)

also a piece of mind, stay away from SSRIs, they do nothing... seriously. if you're having troubles with depression try therapy, CBT, mindfulness techniques, read about it online... peace

Shit, I hope I didn't really cause anything permanent. My god they do hand these out like candy. Doctors make you think they are so safe! I had never taken anything for anxiety or depression before so I asked a doctor what would be good for some mild anxiety I was having. I just had a 15 second conversation with my doctor and then she prescribed Lexapro. She said its very tolerable and pretty mild, but takes weeks to feel anything different. I thought yeah alright that sounds pretty mild to me. Bullshit. That shit felt like poison to me.

Thing is its been about 3 weeks ago since that one Lexapro and drinking just doesn't do anything for me anymore. The more I think about it too, I don't feel as horny either. I've heard of sexual side effects having the chance of being permanent too. Shit!

Hopefully more time will help get me back to normal.

ikr, doctors around here do that too... the first time i went to my psych it was just like that. a 15 second talk and he readily scripts me escitalopram. bullshit!

and yes, the libido problem is REAL. i was on fluoxetine (another SSRI just like escitalopram) for a few months and first i had erectile dysfunction, couldn't come, and later on it absolutely destroyed my libido! even after i was off of fluoxetine, it took a while to come back.

but dude, stay positive, it certainly did not do 'brain damage', i'm no neurologist but brain zaps and that shit may be are related to serotonin syndrome (don't take my word for it though, layman's guess). anyway, i'm pretty sure it'll go away, be cool!

also for anxiety problems i'd suggest trying CBT online and reading up about it online, i do that and it helps me a lot! peace

ikr, doctors around here do that too... the first time i went to my psych it was just like that. a 15 second talk and he readily scripts me escitalopram. bullshit!

and yes, the libido problem is REAL. i was on fluoxetine (another SSRI just like escitalopram) for a few months and first i had erectile dysfunction, couldn't come, and later on it absolutely destroyed my libido! even after i was off of fluoxetine, it took a while to come back.

but dude, stay positive, it certainly did not do 'brain damage', i'm no neurologist but brain zaps and that shit may be are related to serotonin syndrome (don't take my word for it though, layman's guess). anyway, i'm pretty sure it'll go away, be cool!

also for anxiety problems i'd suggest trying CBT online and reading up about it online, i do that and it helps me a lot! peace

Yup everywhere I've posted this story, people are shocked that I got brain zaps after one dose. It's true that I experienced them. They would come on at random times of the day and last for a second or two. Felt like jolts of electricity going through my brain. Luckily, they only lasted about a week and I haven't had any since.

I've seen a few stories on the internet of people having severe reactions to Lexapro. Not many, but there's a few. Most of them had the some of the EXACT same symptoms as me. A horrible anxiety attack, vomiting, etc.. Some people really can't handle these drugs.

I know alcohol isn't known to some as being a "euphoric" drug, but for me it was a little bit. I can't seem to get happy from alcohol anymore. Its like now I can get slow in the head from it, but without the fun "good time" feeling.

I've never been a drug user really. Mostly just a drinker with friends. As of right now, I don't really enjoy alcohol like I used to. Maybe its all in my head though. Maybe the Lexapro didn't cause this. Who knows.

Anyway, so its common to feel dull after SSRI use? How long did it take the dull feeling to go away for you after quitting? Also, hows your libido now? Back to normal?

it's more that normal after prolonged use but it's very strange that just 1 pill caused you all of this
have you been having panic attacks/anxiety since then?

it's more that normal after prolonged use but it's very strange that just 1 pill caused you all of this
have you been having panic attacks/anxiety since then?

No more panic attacks since that day of Lexapro. That was the first one I'd had in a long time. Do people really report not feeling a thing after one pill?

not after 1 pill (never heard of it.. i took 1 sertraline pill once but felt nothing at all) but after long usage it is quite common

Well, Lexapro is the most potent per mg SSRI so maybe it has a stronger effect after one dose. I think a low dose of Lexapro is 5mg, a normal dose is 10mg, and highest dosages are 20-30mg. I think I've heard Zoloft can go up to 200mg maybe more. 1mg of Zoloft is probably nothing compared to 1mg of Lexapro.

Horror story

Man,I could tell you some real horror stories about SSRI/SNRI medications!I've had quacks prescribe a plethora of that shit,including Lexapro,Paxil,Celexa etc...Just like you,I was told it would take a week or two before I noticed anything and,just like you,30 minutes later and Blam!instant panic attacks lasting for hours,fucked up thought patterns,the whole works.Felt like a batch of dirty speed brewed in hell.Celexa even had the lovely side effect of auditory hallucinations(souds of children playing outside my window at 4 AM).Ironically,these were all prescribed to me for anxiety/panic disoder.Go figure.That shit is the exact opposite of what someone experiencing anxiety needs.IMHO all of those toxic poisons should be taken off the market but my girlfriend swears by Lexapro so I guess for some it works(she says it took about 10 days to start working for her).I even had one shrink say it was impossible for me to feel it that fast and to have the same reaction to all of them.Then the fucker had the bright idea to put me on a cocktail of Serqoquell and Pamalor.A half hour later I was suicidally depressed for no reason.If you have anxiety issues I can tell you what works wonders for me:Benzodiazapine tranquilizers.I know they have a bad reputation due to their potential for abuse/addiction but they are the ONLY thing I have found that stops my debilitating panic attacks and anxiety.Xanax in particular was a miracle for me.You may be different but that or something in the same class like Valium or Ativan may help you tremendously.That is weird about it fucking with your alcohol buzz though.Never heard of that but everyone's brain/body chemistry is different.When I had that bad Celexa trip I had to actually do a shot of heroin to come out of it.But yeah,I had the same reaction to the shit as you so you're not alone.Without my Xanax,the only way I can not freak out for no reason is to drink myself stupid and that was ruining my health.It may be worth looking into but the next time some idiot doctor tries to give you some crazy anti-depressant or anti-psychotic medication,my advice would be to run fast and far away from that lunatic terrorist!I think your brain will recover though.I hope so.I couldn't imagine not being able to enjoy a good drink of bourbon.I hope you find a doctor who will help you rather than some fucking sadist who wants to drive you crazy with anti-depressants.

Last edited:
Anyway, so its common to feel dull after SSRI use? How long did it take the dull feeling to go away for you after quitting? Also, hows your libido now? Back to normal?

after being on fluoxetine for a few months (less than half a year), i can't remember exactly but it took me like 1-2 months for my libido to come back to normal. but remember that was from continuous everyday usage - fluoxetine has an immense half-life and its very metabolites have SSRInhibiting properties too - so i assume it won't nearly take as long for you, assuming you took one pill.

about the dullness, well that's hard to tell. the period i was coming off of fluoxetine i was also smoking a lot of weed - which alone messed a lot with my head and made apathetic on its own -, it took me 2 months to stop feeling extremely apathetic (though i say that can be from the weed alone and not from the prozac), but i still find myself very apathetic to this day, but well, that's probably my depressive behaviour which was why i was prescribed SSRIs in the first place.

again stay positive, and importantly, don't fret much on it or think much about it. it'll go away

Man,I could tell you some real horror stories about SSRI/SNRI medications!I've had quacks prescribe a plethora of that shit,including Lexapro,Paxil,Celexa etc...Just like you,I was told it would take a week or two before I noticed anything and,just like you,30 minutes later and Blam!instant panic attacks lasting for hours,fucked up thought patterns,the whole works.Felt like a batch of dirty speed brewed in hell.Celexa even had the lovely side effect of auditory hallucinations(souds of children playing outside my window at 4 AM).Ironically,these were all prescribed to me for anxiety/panic disoder.Go figure.That shit is the exact opposite of what someone experiencing anxiety needs.IMHO all of those toxic poisons should be taken off the market but my girlfriend swears by Lexapro so I guess for some it works(she says it took about 10 days to start working for her).I even had one shrink say it was impossible for me to feel it that fast and to have the same reaction to all of them.Then the fucker had the bright idea to put me on a cocktail of Serqoquell and Pamalor.A half hour later I was suicidally depressed for no reason.If you have anxiety issues I can tell you what works wonders for me:Benzodiazapine tranquilizers.I know they have a bad reputation due to their potential for abuse/addiction but they are the ONLY thing I have found that stops my debilitating panic attacks and anxiety.Xanax in particular was a miracle for me.You may be different but that or something in the same class like Valium or Ativan may help you tremendously.That is weird about it fucking with your alcohol buzz though.Never heard of that but everyone's brain/body chemistry is different.When I had that bad Celexa trip I had to actually do a shot of heroin to come out of it.But yeah,I had the same reaction to the shit as you so you're not alone.Without my Xanax,the only way I can not freak out for no reason is to drink myself stupid and that was ruining my health.It may be worth looking into but the next time some idiot doctor tries to give you some crazy anti-depressant or anti-psychotic medication,my advice would be to run fast and far away from that lunatic terrorist!I think your brain will recover though.I hope so.I couldn't imagine not being able to enjoy a good drink of bourbon.I hope you find a doctor who will help you rather than some fucking sadist who wants to drive you crazy with anti-depressants.

Crazy how most doctors if not all want to prescribe antidepressants for anxiety.......happened to me & I flat out refused to be put on an antidepressants.

I told my doctor I have anxiety, not depression, you do know the difference, don't you?

I believe there is an agenda to screw up the public's minds with these poisonous meds......its like they're playing a mind warfare on us.

I know the doctors get paid fat stacks of money for prescribing AD's to as many patients as possible.

Next time you're asked to go onto an AD, ask the doctor if he/she is taking any.......also ask if their family members are on them, lol!

AD's are s complete joke......I Aldo believe they rewire the brain to actually make you depressed to the point youre thinking about suicide......also, it rewires your brain to only think one way & to be strictly passive, that way you can't defend yourself.

Also, once you're on those crazy pills, the establishment uses it against you saying you are severely depressed cause you were on them for years.

Don't fall for the trap......if AD's were good for us, they would actually work like they're suppose to.......like if you're depressed, they're suppose to make you happy go lucky & love life, not hate yourself/others, have panic/anxiety attacks & thinking about suicide.......suicide should be the last thing you ever think about if these pills worked like they were suppose to.

Just Say No...........

I was prescribed Paxil back in the 90's and was on it for 2 years before I quit taking it. At this time antidepressants were still "safe" and everyone from the pharmaceutical heads down to the doctors prescribing it swore that these drugs had no wd's associated with them. And with no internet to communicate no one knew of any problems that others might be having. Anyway Paxil really helped me, but stopping it cold turkey is probably not wise. As I remember it the first zap came out of the blue and I almost fell off the chair I was in. The first week was bad with constant brain zaps, but after that things got better and after a month I had no more zaps.
Also, as I remember it, I had no trouble with my pecker standing at attention and diving in when the time came. Now Bob, my pecker, has trouble getting out of bed....if you know what I mean.....unfortunately it is associated with the spinal cord stroke causing nerve damage to the nerves that connect to Bob and it may be permanent. It has been two years and things are better since for the first year Bob was in a damn coma, so I'll take trouble getting out of bed all day long over a coma!!

@Lostboys:Amen brother.I don't have the depression component either.Nor do I get manic.I'm not bi-polar or any of that shit.My diagnosis is acute anxiety disorder with panic attacks.So WTF is up with the schizo meds?I felt like a guinnea pig in some kind of nightmarish brain experiment by a B-movie mad scientist.I also think you're right about the whole mind control,keep us passive thing.Quacks who prescribe those poisons should lose their licenses.As long as I'm on a proper dose of Xanax I'm fine mentally.Yes,they can be addictive blah,blah blah.But as long as they are a proper dose legally prescribed I'll take medication dependance over shitty,unliveable life any day.Same goes for my pain meds.If I have a legal prescription for effective meds under a doctor's care,whats the big fucking deal?

Wtf? your doctor prescribed you seroquel for anxiety?? whatba crazy fuck.

Man you guys are like DARE for SSRIs in here. Look, they're not for everyone (especially the OP, who obviously had an unusually severe reaction), but they genuinely help a lot of people. I was like you guys, hating on antidepressants for most of my life. If I could go back in time and change anything, I'd start lexapro earlier. I can still get drunk no problem, I have great sex, I don't feel like a zombie. Being depressed and anxious was all I knew for a quarter century. It's no way to live. For some people, SSRIs are the ONLY thing that helps. Good HR is about being balanced and fact based. Telling people to never take SSRIs is harmful advice.

That's not to say I think there's no problems. Doctors DO overprescribe them, don't fully explain the dangers, and pretend they're not incredibly addictive. They do that with benzos, too.

also a piece of mind, stay away from SSRIs, they do nothing... seriously. if you're having troubles with depression try therapy, CBT, mindfulness techniques, read about it online... peace

While I disagree that SSRIs do nothing, this is good advice. Mindfulness techniques drastically improved my quality of life. Luckily, my doctor believes in trying a wide range of treatments as long as they have scientific support. This included mindfulness, meditation, vitamins and natural supplements, therapy, etc. I know a lot of people who aren't as lucky and get stuck with drug peddlers, which sucks.

I PM'd the OP a month ago as he/she seems to have abandoned this thread but after taking a single 10mg pill of the tricyclic Amitryptyline, I am currently suffering what the OP has. This single pill was taken 5 months ago. Since then, I have had no buzz from alcohol as well as headaches in the morning when I wake up like a hangover and a HUGE drop in libido; even erectile dysfunction when taking Cialis which has not happened previously.

It's possible that this may be a coincidence but doctors seem to think I'm crazy and have told me to "drink more". Has anyone experienced the same?

I have been through that, with SSRI's and then with Seroquel which was prescribed for sleep regardless the fact that the side-effects outweights the possible benefits from it to treat insomnia. SSRI did the same to me than it did to you, racing thoughts, mood swings I was even close to hitting people in the face, and I have never hit any1 for anything else than I was attacked.. The seroquel made me lose my ability to be myself, I lost my intellectual and emotional landmarks, I felt like I was in a new brain and had to find out how to adapt to this one.

For both problems I found a solution to the resulting effect from a less than a week use of what I call Big-Pharma's mind control device, Psychedelics and less effectively Cannabis. Psychedelics help rewire your brain, but compared to Meds they do not rewire it for you, it lets you rewire what you can understand is there, like a computer going in its own software to rewrite it and change the structure of his hardware to fit the change. It helped me litterally erase what Meds had done and get back to what I was before with some changes that came with the challenge of facing constant discomfort.
Cannabis helps but more by managing symptoms and making your daily stress levels lower which helps your brain adapt and get back to normal, when our brain is stressed it takes most of its ressources and time to resist to the stress, but when its not the ressources can be used to do something else.
So using psychedelics about once every week or two and smoking cannabis at least every 3 days helped me get rid of what psychiatrists did to me through their useless and destructive meds.

I found that mushrooms are better with this than LSD but the best of all is DMT, only 10mins peak 20-30 mins comedown and it made me feel totally different. Like changing yourself within the blink of an eye not even remembering how crappy it was before taking it. Pretty awsome.
And as far as anxiety and depression goes, I think psychedelics and cannabis are also a good way of treating them, it helps you actually learn to deal with those feelings instead of ''taking them away'', and I found that cannabis helped preventing the accumulation of hopelessness and feeling tired of being depressed and anxious, I think its because it filters your memory to get rid of what makes you unhappy and keep only what is useful.

I guess the overall of my post is saying I think that to get rid of your issue and the reason why you tried the SSRI, you could try psychedelics and cannabis because it can help with both.