• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Brief Amphetamine Psychosis???

pancakegods

Greenlighter
I'm new to the forum, so please help me if I'm posting this in the wrong area / doing something wrong. Anyways...

I'm female, 5'4 and 120lbs. I have ADHD but I'm not prescribed any medication. Some Vyvanse came into my posession, and I wanted to see how I would react to it. Amphetamine-wise, I've only ever taken Concerta a few months back and it didn't do much except upset my stomach.

I took 70mg of Vyvanse in the morning, 20mg in the middle of the day and 50mg around 9pm. I felt really energized all day, and had no desire or urge to sleep that night. Around 1am, things started getting EXTREMELY strange. I felt super out of it- not tired, but just very different. I'd never felt that certain way from weed, opiates, or even MDMA. From what I remember, I felt like I didn't belong in my body, and I saw my soul rising out of my chest. A blue aura was coming out of the top of my body as I was laying down, and it floated up to the ceiling and dissolved. At the time, I was CONVINCED that my soul was multiplying and leaving my body, and that I was transforming into another creature. I don't remember the night completely, but apparently I recorded my feelings at the time in my notes app. I thought that I shed my skin like a snake and grew another one, my heart was beating so fast that it flew out of my body, my ribs turned blue and sparkly and translucent, and I could see through layers of my skin like I had X-Ray vision.

I researched amphetamine psychosis, and to my understanding, it's a condition where someone exhibits long-term schizophrenic symptoms as a result of amphetamine addiction. My episode of psychosis/hallucinations only lasted 5ish hours and it was my first real large dose of amphetamines, so it doesn't fit the criteria of that but it's the closest thing that I can think of. After that day, I've taken similar dosages multiple times and never had that effect again.

Has anyone else reacted this way, or knows why I did? I'm honestly baffled by this, insight would be appreciated. xx

If you have ADHD, it means that you already have naturally high dopamine levels. Now if I'm right in my thinking, amphetamines lower dopamine levels in people with ADHD don't they? Have you had all of those exact doses again but leaving a 2 week+ gap? If it happens again, it could be a worry. You can always talk to a doctor about it though. Confidential and all that. Personally those effects are unfamiliar to me unless I've used a dissociative like Ketamine. I have had what they call "temporary amphetamine psychosis" before after taking too much and staying awake too long and it caused me to have scary hallucinations (bringing back childhood fears) and they would appear out of nowhere as well as feeling paranoid, confused, scared etc. Anything ringing any bells here?

I've never heard of all that happening from a stim before.

A couple years ago my doctor tried prescribing me Wellbutrin to go with my Ritalin though and it caused derealization where everything felt different/off almost as if I was dreaming even though I knew I wasn't. Caused me a lot of anxiety and discomfort for like 4 or 5 hours until I took a Remeron. You may have had a very strong experience of either derealization or depersonalization but I've never heard or seen it cause hallucinations before.

Hopefully the pills you took really were what you thought they were.

That's most likely what it was, that's a lot of vyvanse for someone with no tolerance, people have taken more, but still, for a naive user quite a lot. Amphetamine psychosis is pretty fucking scary the first time it occurs because if you're like me, you're completely convinced that what you're seeing and hearing is real. It can also be quite dangerous. After a while, you get used to it and stop caring, if you decide to continue to use amphetamines at high levels and don't go to sleep. With me it was IV meth that caused it, I thought my best friend was trying to rob me and my girlfriend of some tar. It was so 'real', that I almost hit him over the head with a crow bar. It's important to keep yourself hydrated, and full of nutrients, when using amphetamines, this will also help with your mental state.

That's most likely what it was, that's a lot of vyvanse for someone with no tolerance, people have taken more, but still, for a naive user quite a lot. Amphetamine psychosis is pretty fucking scary the first time it occurs because if you're like me, you're completely convinced that what you're seeing and hearing is real. It can also be quite dangerous. After a while, you get used to it and stop caring, if you decide to continue to use amphetamines at high levels and don't go to sleep. With me it was IV meth that caused it, I thought my best friend was trying to rob me and my girlfriend of some tar. It was so 'real', that I almost hit him over the head with a crow bar. It's important to keep yourself hydrated, and full of nutrients, when using amphetamines, this will also help with your mental state.

OP wasn't sleep or food deprived though, you really think it's psychosis? It's weird that it would show up a few hours into a first time use, doesn't seem likely.

The first time I used methamphetamine I got so high I hallucinated instantly. My dad was out of town and later when my dealer came back over later that night I clearly saw my dad standing in the doorway. I also was confused as to why someone had cut the heads off of people from magazines and taped them to my ceiling. I also had some auditory hallucinations. I wonder if OP went through something similar maybe?

If it wasn't prescribed to you, there is a very real chance it could be fake/laced/something else entirely. That's a very unusual reaction, even though you did take a lot. Sounds more like a dissociative or something but who knows.

Even in the most biased studies of incarcerated individual, the majority of those with stimulant psychosis get over it eventually/ immediately upon sleeping. So the brevity is normal.

It could have been amphetamine psychosis, or it could have been some other mental illness that you have but did not post about or are not diagnosed with.

Have you ever had an out of body experience or anything like what happened to you happen before?

I had a similar experience on Adderall XR. You just took too much, overdosed basically. The hallucinations you experienced were basically the crash/comedown. 140mg is a pretty high dose and you may be sensitive to it in the first place.

Dude, women and speed. It just doesn't work that great. just sort of skimmed your post, but wanted to throw some cents (sense?) in:

When I first met my wife about threeish years ago she was on the tail end of a long term "acute psychotic break from reality". Hate to take credit, I kind of feel like I helped her get over it, add some stability to her life, stop doing amps. She had been on basically addarol or riddlin or whatever one of those rx amps for months and her boyfriend (at the time when I met her, trust me, he was fucking gone quick as shit) was a potential sociopath who wasn't fucking helping her at all. It's crazy though talking to her about it now, lucidly. She can't tell left from right for a period of about a year of her life. It's pretty creepy to talk about with her. I can't imagine what could've gone down if someone who (obviously fucking fell head over heels in love with her right away) cared hadn't made her pull her head out....

Then my sister did meth for a period of like from age 12 (So not joking) until she was like 25, 26, lived at the HA clubhouse with someone who may or may not have been a pretty big enforcer and generally not a good dude who put her through god only fucking knows what for that entire time.... - Yeah, she's legit schizophrenic fucking crazy as shit mind fucked brainwashed complete lifelong drug user just a fucking poster child.

From what I can garner, she always showed 'warning signs' on drugs from the very beginning. My wife is orphaned, family dead in el salvadore, has definitely had some emotional traumas growing up. I can see the edges of signs in her when we're up for a couple days.

Basically, ladies, listen up, if you show warning or precursor signs while on meth (I tend to think it's especially prevalent in A) Women B) Who have mild depression/ PTSD C) are using semi-regularly D) have SHIT NO BALLS FAGGOT MEN IN THEIR LIVES and E) tend to just go all sad suzie when they're high. Just my observations) at any point in your life, I would, from dual personal experience, strongly suggest cessation of use or more responsible use. As I suggest now, to the OP.

As my wife's case study shows, a little love and stability can turn shit around if you catch it early on, but let it go too far and, as my sister would show, the damage can become quite irreparable. Some of you teen girls (Hopefully reading this a crucial point in your life story) need to understand playing house and having deranged meth sex with a psycho during your senior year of high school can quickly go from a game of tag to a game of fucking russian roulette. Take care of yourselves and seriously (I know the type I'm talking about) You're probably sexy, young, talented, don't waste your fuckin time on lowlife motherfuckers, trust me you can buy a dozen with a dime in the drug game...