• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Breaking news: 8 australians busted in bali for 10.9kg heroin

I seriously doubt a ring leader would put his life at risk when hes got others working for him. Most of the ppl caught were much older than him.
I think they all stand the same as they all did this for "money"

I have trouble believing a 21yr old can afford and control an operation concerning 10 kilos of heroin. Its possible, but it seems unlikely to me.

A girl in one of my tafe classes today told our class about one of her dads friends who used to be a heroin dealer and apparently told her that Schapelle Corby was reffered to as the Gunja queen and seen as a very large bud dealer. she said her schapelles dad is one of australia's biggest marijuana growers and grows up in QLD..

i'm 50/50 on this as i dont know anything about it.. just something i heard :) this girl isnt some idiot either, probably smartest in the class but still.. could very easily be bullshit

Last edited:
*~bickie~* said:
^^^
That, I have to say, is one of the saddest things I have ever read. I understand that what they did was wrong but I still can't help but feel sorry for them.

this is the problem, what they did IS NOT wrong at all. fuck what the law says, that's just someone elses idea, not mine.

Originally posted by AndyzPsylocybes
Schapelle Corby was reffered to as the Gunja queen and seen as a very large bud dealer.

Hmm. Right, so the gunja queen puts 4kg of dope in her bodyboard bag and flies to Indonesia, to sell it for a lot less than she would sell it for here ;)

I'm buying it 8)

No offense to you AndyzPsylocybes, but i'd have to say that girl's story is completely full of shit. There are so many holes that its not really funny. How many stories start with stating that this infomation is from a friend of a friend's cousins dads uncles nephews sisters mothers hairdressors cat's kitten or in this case "one of her dads friends" ? Plently, and they're just that, stories!

If she really was a "drug queen" why did she work in a beauty salon (I think, or some similar lowly job) getting paid SFA for long hours of work?

Last edited:
Didn't she also pass a drug test while she was being held in Bali?

If she's such a drug lord, I'm sure she wouldn't of passed.

Saying that though, she does have a slight 'stoner' look about her.

It's been a long time coming and interest in this case has waned over the last year but the sentences for the Bali Nine will be announced this week.

Dealing in lives
Madonna King
11 Feb 2006

On Monday, the first members of the Bali Nine will learn their fate for the part they played in trying to smuggle 8.2kg of heroin into Australia.

By Wednesday, it will all be over: seven of them, including the four mules arrested with kilograms of heroin strapped to their young bodies, will know how much of their lives will be spent in an Indonesian jail cell.

The other two – Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran – will be told if their organisational roles dictate they face a firing squad.

And while that will draw the curtain on a 10-month legal drama that has filled television screens and barbecue conversations, it will open another debate here.

What crimes, if any, warrant death as a penalty and do any of the Bali Nine deserve such a punishment?

Should a treaty be enacted between Indonesia and Australia so that the nine – including Brisbane men Scott Rush, Michael Czugaj and Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen – can be brought home to serve their sentence?

And should the Australian Federal Police be blamed for dobbing them in to Indonesian authorities in the first place?

Most people have strong opinions on the first two; but, as the verdicts near, it is the latter question that is reverberating around parliamentary corridors, legal chambers and Australian crime-fighting bodies.

It was more than a week before the Bali arrests that the AFP's senior liaison officer in Bali, Paul Hunniford, put pen to paper and sent off a note to the Indonesian National Police. The details were explosive. That letter predicted eight people would try to carry heroin body packs, strapped to their legs and back, from Bali to Australia, and that an earlier attempt had failed because they didn't have the money to buy "the stuff".

It said the couriers had been told not to smoke for two weeks prior to travel, were provided with expenses to buy oversized clothes and thongs that did not contain any metal (to avoid airport metal detectors) and were given pre-paid mobile phones.

They were even told to carry wooden carvings for declaration at quarantine, to by-pass customs, Hunniford told his Indonesian colleagues.

The letter contained the names of eight of the nine Australians since arrested, along with birth dates and flight times.

Hunniford asked the Indonesian police to help the AFP identify the source of the drugs, carry out surveillance, take photographs and pass on relevant phone records.

Four days later, Hunniford was back providing more information, including the fact that Andrew Chan was unlikely to be carrying drugs – but would "act as oversight on the flight" home.

Hunniford's information was spot on. The Bali Nine, in their oversized tourist garb, arrived at the airport in Indonesia carrying wooden statues and flush with drugs.

The futures of eight of the people named in the AFP's letter now hang in the balance; the only missing name being the alleged mastermind Myuran Sukumaran who the AFP did not know about.

The role played by the AFP is made murkier, at least in the eyes of some, by the knowledge that Lee Rush tried to intervene in his son's departure.

Rush believed his son might have been up to no good and contacted friend and Brisbane barrister Robert Myers. Myers contacted police and believed he had extracted a promise from the AFP to at least warn Rush on his departure.

That didn't happen, but is a side issue to the real debate over whether the AFP played a lawful and constructive role in crushing the smuggling racket.

Federal Court Justice Paul Finn decided recently that the AFP had acted lawfully. This is a decision critics say doesn't mean it was either moral or decent to allow their arrest in a country that uses the death penalty.

But the AFP relies on international intelligence swaps to do its job.

It rightly points out that it can't pick and choose who it might deal with.

That's a reasonable argument.

To outlaw dealing with death-penalty regimes would mean the AFP would not co-operate with many countries, perhaps even most, that now act as transit hubs for drugs en route to Australia.

The second prong of the AFP's argument is equally valid.

What would happen if the roles were reversed and Australian authorities had evidence nine Indonesians here were in the midst of a 8.2kg drug smuggling attempt? Should we let them board a plane back to Bali?

The AFP would, of course, arrest them here and not countenance any request to let them go.

Indeed, the AFP believes the involvement of their Indonesian police colleagues has meant the Bali Nine drug bust was more successful than it would have been had the mules been allowed on the plane.

This was because they were able to arrest all nine, plus others now before the courts, not just the four carrying drugs who would have arrived back at Sydney airport.

It's a vexed debate, but with the quantity of drugs stopped on their way to Australia over the past decade reducing four-fold – and the number of drug-deaths here falling alongside that – the AFP looks like being on fairly solid ground.

Madonna King's column appears every Saturday

[email protected]

From The Courier-Mail

I will be interested to see how this pans out, it seems everyone must have all but forgotten about this group for quite some time now.

I don't think everyones *forgot*, I think at this stage after all the lies and garbage that went on with Michelle Leslie and Schappelle Corby that everyones sort of sick of giving sympathy to lies.

I mean *I met Mr Sukamaran the first time I met him he offered me a completely no expenses holiday to Bali* NOTHING SUSS

And the same with the rest....

I think everyones over it and doesn't really worry them anymore. As for Schapelle haha, covering for your bro was good thinkin otherwise your step bro WOULD most definately been lined up in the firing squad!

The only people to blame with this is the AFP.... Go hard Mr Keelty keep shakin down the opposition to the payroll you're on!

SpecTBK=D

Today's verdicts.

Lawrence, Rush given life sentences

A court in Bali has sentenced Australians Renae Lawrence and Scott Rush to life imprisonment for heroin trafficking.

The sentence for Lawrence was a surprise move, as the prosecutors had asked for a 20 year sentence.

The pair was arrested at the Bali International Airport last April with heroin strapped to their bodies.

Lawrence, 28, is from Newcastle; 20-year-old Rush is from Brisbane.

In both cases, the judges said there was no evidence to back the defendants' claims they had been forced to carry the drugs under the threat that members of their families would be killed.

Prosecutors had sought a more lenient for Lawrence, because she was helpful in giving statements that helped authorities to uncover evidence about the operation.

In its ruling, the Denpasar District Court said Lawrence's good behaviour and cooperation was no different to that of several other defendants.

"Their roles in this case are almost the same," Judge I Gusti Ngurah Astawa told the court.

From ABC News

Sucks they got so long, in an Indonesian prison cell wouldn't be easy. You know... they'd probably get more than that for getting caught with 10 Kilograms of Heroin in America.
I wonder what the others will get, or if they were cooperative.

I'm interested in finding out how much of that 10.9kg is actually heroin, since 10.9 is the "gross weight of the haul."

As for the morality of the death penalty, I recently read a diatribe in Dostoevsky's 'The Idiot' that influenced my views. So, I think it's pretty hard to justify such a penalty, no matter how much harm illegal heroin does (I have nothing against pharmaceutical quality heroin, too bad it's more or less nonexistent).

Here's another piece of news for us to toss on the 'reasons to legalise and regulate drugs' pile and for more conservative folk to toss on the 'drugs are bad and evil' pile.

^I would be guessing that the Heroin they were caught with would have been pretty close to the 90% range. Heroin found in S.E.A. countries (even on the street level) is extremely pure.

You know what? Strange... I just realised something. I was reading an article regarding the Bali 9 and where they most likely had got their source of Heroin from. Apprantly, there is a drug syndicate operating in Burma that runs by the name of "Crescent Moon". I wonder if this syndicate would be associated with Muslim extremists in anyway, as I understand it that Crescent Moon is a strong symbol of Islam.

Plenty of stories in every newspaper, but this piece (reprinted in various forms across the News Ltd network) caught my eye. Interesting in that it paints a picture of what might motivate someone to do something so stupid, also because his drug history isn't that dissimilar to some that I've read on this website.

Mule had drug history
Paula Doneman, crime editor
14 Feb 2006

HE claimed he was an innocent abroad, duped into running heroin from Bali to Australia, but Brisbane man Scott Anthony Rush has clocked up an extensive criminal history in his short adult life.

Rush and fellow Bali Nine drug mule Renae Lawrence were yesterday each sentenced to life in a Bali prison for their roles in the smuggling operation.

Each had relied on a defence of being young and vulnerable to threats against them and each had claimed naivete.

But Rush, now 20, committed 16 crimes in Queensland over two years stemming from an addiction to illicit and prescription drugs.

His offences included drug possession, fraud, theft and drink-driving.

Three months before he was arrested in Bali last April, Rush was in court to answer drug-related charges. He admitted all his crimes except the drink-driving were drug-related.

There is still a warrant out for his arrest in Queensland for stealing money from the Commonwealth Bank.

Rush has been using cannabis since he was 15 and has abused heroin, ecstasy and prescription drugs. He has claimed to have used heroin four times since he was 16.

"Rush's drug choice is amphetamines. He first began using amphetamines three years ago at the age of 17. He stated that his method of use has always been intravenous," a report compiled by the Queensland Community Corrections Department said.

Rush told Brisbane psychiatrist F. Ian Curtis he turned to illicit drug use between the ages of 15 and 16 when he felt he could not live up to perceived pressures from his parents always wanting him "performing better and better".

Rush said that at the age of 16, he lost all motivation and began dabbling in heroin – a drug he told Dr Curtis he had only used four or five times.

As his drug use increased, Rush's school results slipped.

"They (his parents) became increasingly concerned when he lost his way and he could not decide what he wanted to do with his life. He stated that he felt pressure to perform at school and on the sports field . . ." the report stated.

Rush told Dr Curtis that his parents were supportive of him while he was "goal-oriented" but he kept his drug use a secret from them and his two brothers. At the time he claimed he had stopped abusing prescription medication and had decreased his illicit drug consumption.

Rush had a troubled time in school, being forced to move from Brisbane's Christ of King Primary School for unruly behaviour to the Graceville State Primary School.

He was then expelled later for drug-related matters in Year 10 at Brisbane's St Laurence's College before he transferred to the Marist Brothers College, graduating with an OP of 24.

After school, Rush drifted through a series of jobs ranging from door-to-door salesman to a storeman and forklift driver. But none held his interest. His transition into adulthood was marked by a series of court appearances and second chances. His drug addiction was compounded by alcohol abuse which eased into binge drinking.

Between July 2003 and October 2004, Rush appeared in Brisbane magistrate's courts on 16 charges including fraud, stealing and drug possession.

In the report prepared for the courts, he told Dr Curtis he felt guilty about stealing bedding from a Myer store in 2003 because it cost his girlfriend her cleaning job at the store.

"Scott told me he was full of misery because he saw his life as a failure . . . he felt persistently sad . . . he felt hopeless about his future," Dr Curtis wrote.

Dr Curtis described the 20-year-old as suffering from low self-esteem, with a "brittle, uncomfortable self-image", and Rush could not see how to break his destructive cycle.

In December 2004 the Inala Magistrate's Court heard 16 offences including drug possession, fraud, theft and drink-driving. Rush pleaded guilty to each. The court ordered Rush undergo an assessment, and for Community Corrections to assess whether he should enter a drug rehabilitation program.

When Rush appeared again in January last year, the magistrate gave him between one-month and two-month suspended sentences for all of the offences and placed him on a community-based order. Many of the convictions also had fines and restitution, totalling over $8000.

Community Corrections had recommended Rush undergo counselling, regular drug testing and psychiatric assessment.

Staff were happy that Rush had moved back in with his parents, who were very supportive of him. Rush had indicated he planned to go fruit picking in central Queensland to get away from the drug culture in Brisbane.

But for whatever reason, possibly because he was struggling to repay the court-ordered fines on his $218-a-week youth allowance, Rush became a heroin mule.

In fact, in July last year – when Rush was already in jail in Bali – Queensland police issued a warrant for his arrest for failing to repay the Commonwealth Bank $4796.95 he had stolen.

In a previous statement to the Indonesian court, Rush said he honestly had no idea when he accepted a free holiday to Bali that he would be called upon to become a criminal.

He said he had only committed the crime under threat of death to himself and his family.

He pointed out that under such circumstances the prosecution's summary of the case and demand for a life sentence was "really unfair and inhumane".

From The Courier-Mail

Dead end life alright, look where you got yourself scott!

Firing squad for the ringleaders... poor bastards! lets all but wait to see what happens with the appealing process now!

SpecTBK=D

The 'crescent moon' group is mainly chinese i believe and i also believe they operate out of burma and china.