• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

"Bong Hits 4 Jesus" Case at the Supreme Court (Updated 6/29/07)

erosion

Bluelight Crew
In a feisty session over a student's "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" banner, former independent counsel Kenneth Starr urged the Supreme Court Monday to let public schools ban signs, buttons or other messages that undercut their anti-drug policy.

free-speechx.jpg

As scores of curious students milled in and around the columned building, Starr argued that a principal in Juneau, Alaska, did not violate Joseph Frederick's speech rights when she tore down the banner he had unfurled at an Olympic Torch Relay parade in 2002.

The principal, Deborah Morse, said the "bong" phrase referred to marijuana and suspended him for 10 days. Frederick, a senior at the time, said his words were merely nonsense meant to draw television cameras as students watched the parade.

A majority of the justices did not make clear how they would rule, but they were more open to Starr's anti-drug rationale than his broader argument that schools should be able to regulate any message that conflicts with the far-reaching educational mission.

Monday's test of student speech rights arises as schools face increased violence and drug use on their grounds. The National School Boards Association, siding with Juneau officials, says administrators should have expansive latitude to stop messages related to subjects such as drugs, guns, homosexuality and abortion. On Frederick's side are an unusual contingent of liberal groups, including the Lambda Legal Defense Fund, and conservatives, including the Alliance Defense Fund — all worried that credible student views will be censored.

Spectators began lining up for seats before dawn for the arguments that began at 10 a.m. Students who were not able to get seats in the marble and velvet courtroom gathered in front of the building. Some arrived ready to show support for Frederick and held up signs that said, "Free Speech 4 Students."

"Illegal drugs and the glorification of the drug culture are profoundly serious problems for our nation," Starr said as he argued that Frederick's message promoted drugs and was "utterly inconsistent" with the basic educational mission of the school.

"The problem," said Chief Justice John Roberts, "is that school boards these days take it upon themselves to broaden their mission well beyond … illegal substances." Justice Samuel Alito, too, appeared troubled that schools would try to suppress a large swath of speech.

Responding to such concerns, Starr said, "the court does not need to go more broadly" than the drug issue. He stressed, overall, that Frederick's banner was "disruptive" to the school's goals.

Justice David Souter was among the few justices questioning even that basic premise. "I can understand if they unfurled the banner in a classroom that it would be disruptive," Souter said, "but what did it disrupt on the sidewalk? … It sounds like just a kid's provocative statement to me."

Lawyer Douglas Mertz, representing Frederick, emphasized the wider stakes of the case. "This is a case about free speech. It is not a case about drugs."

Mertz also argued that because Frederick had joined students across from their school, not on its grounds, the principal had even less reason to discipline him. Chief Justice Roberts countered, "He came here (across from the school) because it was the school event, the school-sponsored activity."

Justice Anthony Kennedy was sympathetic to the efforts to counter illegal drug use. Frederick's sign, he said, "was completely disruptive of the message … the school wanted to promote … completely disruptive of the school's image that they wanted to portray in sponsoring the Olympics."

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ruled for Frederick last year. It also said that Morse could be personally liable for money damages because it was "clearly established" by past rulings that Frederick had a right to raise his banner.

Several justices voiced concerns about that part of the ruling. "It seems to me, however you come out, there is a reasonable debate" over student rights in public schools, Souter said.

A ruling is likely by the end of June.

Justices debate 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case
USA Today
March 20, 2007

Link

The judges all seemed to have reasonable heads on their shoulders in regards to this case... I have a feeling it will turn out fairly well, without widespread speech rights implications. However, there was one part of the article that really made my skin crawl...

Monday's test of student speech rights arises as schools face increased violence and drug use on their grounds. The National School Boards Association, siding with Juneau officials, says administrators should have expansive latitude to stop messages related to subjects such as drugs, guns, homosexuality and abortion. On Frederick's side are an unusual contingent of liberal groups, including the Lambda Legal Defense Fund, and conservatives, including the Alliance Defense Fund — all worried that credible student views will be censored.

okay, we all know that drugs and guns aren't allowed in schools. but homosexuality and abortion? stop messages... therefore, information about homosexuality and (to a lesser extent) abortion... isn't that just harboring misinformation and prejudice? and shouldn't the national school board be commited toreally EDUCATING kids and helping them grow, as opposed to molding them into their preferred idealistic puppet?

i wish well for this kid though. bong hits 4 Joseph Frederick!!!

"Lawyer Douglas Mertz, representing Frederick, emphasized the wider stakes of the case. "This is a case about free speech. It is not a case about drugs."

Exactly, this case has nothing to do with any issue other than free speech. It makes no difference if the sign is about drugs, homosexuality, or abortion. No drugs were involved, no one had gay sex, no abortions where carried out. The issue was the letters written on a sign, the freedom to choose what letters being one of the most fundamental principles our free country was founded on. Remember, we have the freedom to live in a police state, and it appears we are exercising that freedom.

i say good on them and i wish them all the best!!!!!!!Power to the people,not the beaurocratic pricks that think they represent the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think the "...for jesus" part is just as inflamatory as the "bong hits" part, and the fact that he unfurled a sign so daftly offensive at this event tells me hes TRYING to be offensive!

...not that its a bad thing. ;)

^^^^^i say good on them!!!!!freedom of speech!!!!all their doing is expressing their opinions...!how is that any different than christians etc that walk around trying to preach and give away bibles etc!!!!or any other religion that tries to force itself on the world...!i personally find these religious types offensive but no1 seems to give a shit about my rights....!religion is a choice as is atheism..as is smoking pot etc etc!!!!

also,i thought there was a quote in the bible that says 'ALL the seed bearing herbs and plants are to be used'........?????

from what I've heard, these students were not on school grounds and were merely excused from school that day to attend the event. I dont see how the school has any grounds to impede the speech of students in their off time, no matter how inflammatory

Victory,
HAIL!

Victory,
HAIL!

Victory,
HAIL!

yah guys, looks like its rapidly approaching the age old question, Liberty or Death, as we begin using the constitution, written once in blood, as spare toilet paper.

hey i believe god provided me with herb to chill da uff out. and its a good influence on the motion of them creative juices. the forces of evil in this world dont want us to have this divine miracle.

Well unfortunately for your argument, while religion or atheism are both valid personal choices, neither of them are against federal laws. This is not the case with smoking pot. I'm not saying I think the kid should have been suspended, I'm just saying that your logic doesn't hold up. Anyway, I dont even understand the sign, bong hits 4 jesus... how does that even make sense? It's like saying "Free Abortions 4 Catholics" Doesnt make sense

^^If that is in reference to what I posted my argument is sound. It makes no difference if the sign has letters on it communicating something associated with religion or drugs. They are not exceptions to protected speech. Freedom of speech is a very real thing. Not only is it clearly stated in the constitution, but there is a great deal of case law backing it up.

Look up Hodgkins v. Peterson, or don't...it doesn't matter because no pot was smoked. No one took any bong hits for Jesus. They were legally outside of school. The school cannot legally come to them in the form of a parade even if that that parade was during school hours. They didn't have to be there, so pupils had no standing to sue, so the school had no jurisdiction.

"We must begin by exploring the baseline question: Do
minors have a fundamental right to freedom of expression
worthy of constitutional protection? The Supreme Court
answered this question affirmatively in Tinker v. Des
Moines Indep. Cmty. Sch. Dist., 393 U.S. 503, 511, 89 S. Ct.
733, 739 (1969). It is oft said that those rights are not co-
extensive with the rights of adults, at least in the context of
the rights of students in public schools. Bethel Sch. Dist.
No. 403 v. Fraser, 478 U.S. 675, 682, 106 S. Ct. 3159, 3164
(1986); Hazelwood Sch. Dist. v. Kuhlmeier, 484 U.S. 260,
266, 108 S. Ct. 562, 567 (1988). The question as to whether
a minor’s First Amendment rights are diluted outside of the
school context is not as clear. Hazelwood, 484 U.S. at 266,
108 S. Ct. at 567 (noting that student speech which disrupts
the educational environment need not be tolerated “even
though the government could not censor similar speech
outside the school”).
The strength of our democracy depends on a citizenry that
knows and understands its freedoms, exercises them
responsibly, and guards them vigilantly. Young adults, as
Judge Tinder pointed out, are not suddenly granted the full
panoply of constitutional rights on the day they attain the
age of majority. We not only permit but expect youths to
exercise those liberties—to learn to think for themselves, to
give voice to their opinions, to hear and evaluate competing
points of view—so that they might attain the right to vote
at age eighteen with the tools to exercise that right. Am.
Amusement Mach. Assoc. v. Kendrick, 244 F.3d 572, 577
(7th Cir. 2001). A juvenile’s ability to worship, associate,
and speak freely is therefore not simply a privilege that
benefits her as an individual, but a necessary means of
allowing her to become a fully enfranchised member of
democratic society. “People are unlikely to become well-
functioning, independent-minded adults and responsible
citizens if they are raised in an intellectual bubble.” Id. In
short, minors have First Amendment rights worthy of
protection. "

I hope the supreme court rules against this kid. If they rule in his favor it sets a precedent for allowing religious statements to made in school. It wouldn't be appropriate for kids to hold a sign that says "Jesus died for your sins" during school. It cuts both ways. "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" is a religious statement. Fuck this stupid kid for thinking he's fighting for free spech. He doesn't see the can of worms that could be opened up.

^^^ dood, he wasn't technically in school. How could this case set a precedent for doing ANYTHING in school?

kong said:
^^If that is in reference to what I posted my argument is sound. It makes no difference if the sign has letters on it communicating something associated with religion or drugs. They are not exceptions to protected speech.
Some forms of speech are more protected than others. Political speech, generally, is the most protected. While other types of expression, including "fighting words," slander, and obscenity, get less or no First Amendment protection. So, the categorization of the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" phrase is crucial here.

Secondly, the Tinker and Fraser cases effectively limit a student's speech rights, when compared with someone who is not in school. There is a difference. While students do not lose their speech rights "at the school house door," speech that disrupts the "educational mission" is not allowed. The question Justice Alito posed here is whether the school would be making its educational mission so broad as to prohibit almost all forms of student expression.

No one took any bong hits for Jesus.
for some reason i laughed hardest over that :S somehow profound, idiotically stupid, and yet still insanely ironic. I think that is my new favourite quote of all time, tho in a completely out of context way =D

anyway, it'll be fun when suddenly the students can't talk back, or they legally get their house searched. kinda one-ups to the whole french and uk things... :)

Banquo said:
Some forms of speech are more protected than others. Political speech, generally, is the most protected. While other types of expression, including "fighting words," slander, and obscenity, get less or no First Amendment protection. So, the categorization of the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" phrase is crucial here.

Secondly, the Tinker and Fraser cases effectively limit a student's speech rights, when compared with someone who is not in school. There is a difference. While students do not lose their speech rights "at the school house door," speech that disrupts the "educational mission" is not allowed. The question Justice Alito posed here is whether the school would be making its educational mission so broad as to prohibit almost all forms of student expression.

All very true. Def. not fighting words. Jesus isn't around to sue for slander, (I don't think he would%) ) It doesn't even remotely fit the ENTIRE def. of obscenity.

I agree that a school has a legal right to restrict free speech when that speech contradicts its overall mission ON SCHOOL GROUNDS. So another issue is if the pupil was under the schools jurisdiction. This is a grey area. If the pupil is outside of jurisdiction than the school has no power. Within jurisdiction the school has great power. I don't believe simply marching a parade around is also marching jurisdiction around.

I'd love to see the supreme court put our government schools in their place by exempting religion (jesus) and health care (bong hits) from a schools educational mission. Religion has no place in education. The suppression of medical research (sure to be a part of any drug "education/propaganda" program) has no place in education.

This really has nothing to do with safety or keeping kids off drugs. Its about controlling the flow of information. The gov. can't have anything out there that contridicts its agenda. I remember as a 14 yr old having people from all the branches of the military constantly at my schooling selling the service in just about any way possible. They will even help you drop out, maybe get your GED and start fighting NOW!!! $20,000 bonus you will never see cause the army ships you off to iraq before you complete the requirement of advanced training.

Last edited:
Crumple Zone: Drug Warriors Push Broad Censorship of Student Speech
Jacob Sullum, Reason
March 21, 2007

When Joseph Frederick, a Juneau, Alaska, high school senior, unrolled a 14-foot banner proclaiming "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" at a 2002 Winter Olympics torch relay rally near his school, he was trying to attract TV cameras. Instead he caught the eye of Deborah Morse, the school's principal, who crossed the street, grabbed the banner, crumpled it up, and suspended Frederick for 10 days.

Morse was offended not by the banner's religious content but by what she took to be its pro-marijuana message, which she felt undermined the school's anti-drug stance. When the U.S. Supreme Court considered the constitutionality of Morse's heavy-handed censorship on Monday, it seemed a majority might be prepared to accept her interpretation and obligingly carve out a "drug exception" to the First Amendment.

It's about time. The Supreme Court has been using drug cases to whittle away at the Fourth Amendment's prohibition of unreasonable searches and seizures for years, leaving freedom of speech untouched. If achieving a drug-free society means students have to hand over their urine as the price for participating in extracurricular activities, why should they be free to mock anti-drug orthodoxy, even unintentionally?

"Illegal drugs and the glorification of the drug culture are profoundly serious problems for our nation," Kenneth Starr told the Supreme Court during oral arguments in the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" case. And if linking the drug culture to Jesus Christ does not qualify as glorification, what does?

Starr, a former solicitor general, feels so strongly about the issue that he is representing Morse and the school district for free. On the other side are the usual suspects: the American Civil Liberties Union, the Drug Policy Alliance, Pat Robertson's American Center for Law and Justice. Wait a minute.

It turns out that Robertson's group, which probably does not share whatever sentiment Frederick's cryptic banner expressed, is not the only organization representing the interests of religious conservatives that is defending the right to offend school administrators. The Christian Legal Society, the Alliance Defense Fund, the Rutherford Institute and the Liberty Legal Institute also are alarmed by the sweeping claim that public school officials may censor any speech they consider contrary to their "educational mission," even if it happens off campus.

Where does that leave students who condemn abortion or homosexuality, question evolution or insist on the importance of Holy Scripture in resolving moral issues? The question does not seem to trouble the Bush administration, for which hostility toward civil liberties is a more consistent theme than friendliness toward the religious right. Deputy Solicitor General Edwin Kneedler told the Supreme Court a school "does not have to tolerate a message that is inconsistent" with its educational mission.

Justice Samuel Alito called this argument "very, very disturbing," noting that schools could suppress a wide range of speech "under the banner of getting rid of speech that's inconsistent with educational missions." That banner is even vaguer than "Bong Hits 4 Jesus."

When it ruled that confiscating Frederick's banner violated the First Amendment, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit said censorship of student speech is not justified "in the absence of concern about disruption of educational activities." No one claims Frederick, who displayed the banner at a school-approved but privately sponsored event on a public street, was preventing students from learning.

Yet according to Justice Anthony Kennedy, whom The New York Times alarmingly describes as "perhaps the most speech-protective of the justices," the banner was "completely disruptive" because it contradicted "the message the school wanted to promote." Kennedy, the Times reports, is "highly pro-government on issues involving illegal drugs."

Presumably, then, Kennedy also would take a dim view of a message such as "Legalize It." How strange it would be if students had a constitutional right to wear armbands protesting the Vietnam War, as the Court has held, but did not have a constitutional right to wear T-shirts protesting the war on drugs.

Link

How strange it would be if students had a constitutional right to wear armbands protesting the Vietnam War, as the Court has held, but did not have a constitutional right to wear T-shirts protesting the war on drugs.

I seem to remember that it was not all that long ago that a few US university students got shot dead, and hundreds tear-gassed for protesting the vietnamese war :(

Not sure how deep these rights go!

E