• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Body weight factor in benzos dosing

Scottc

Greenlighter
So I’m a bigger guy (250 lbs), mostly in shape but obviously could lose a few.

Question is w Benzos would body weight play a factor in dosing. Eg metabolism aside, would I need twice the benzo to feel the effect as someone 125 lbs?

I know there’s the blood brain barrier factor but that doesn’t take away from the extra fat, tissue, blood where benzos could float around.

The reason I’m asking, is that lower doses have pretty much no affect on me and my doctor would increase dose based on weight.

Yes of course weight has an impact in how you process the substances, I won't say that you would need exactly twice the dose, but usually a higher one is required compared to a skinny dude.

So I’m a bigger guy (250 lbs), mostly in shape but obviously could lose a few.

Question is w Benzos would body weight play a factor in dosing. Eg metabolism aside, would I need twice the benzo to feel the effect as someone 125 lbs?

I know there’s the blood brain barrier factor but that doesn’t take away from the extra fat, tissue, blood where benzos could float around.

The reason I’m asking, is that lower doses have pretty much no affect on me and my doctor would increase dose based on weight.

Body weight heavily (no pun intended) weighs in (no pun intended) on how any drug will effect you.
The more you weigh the high dose you need. For example, you are 250lb and will therefor need twice the dose of someone who is 125lb and half the dose of someone who weights 500lb to feel the same effects.

Yes of course weight has an impact in how you process the substances, I won't say that you would need exactly twice the dose, but usually a higher one is required compared to a skinny dude.

He would need exactly twice the amount because he is exactly twice the size. That's why drugs and meds are often "dosed" in mg/kg (especially in pediatric medicine).

Thanks. I asked my psychiatrist and he gave me some blood brain bulshit and that weight wasn’t a factor.

Thanks. I asked my psychiatrist and he gave me some blood brain bulshit and that weight wasn’t a factor.

He's really lacking basic knowledge then.
The double thing actually goes for everything. Compared to someone who weighs 125lbs, if you were to go for clothing you would require twice as much fabric; you would need twice as many calories to maintain weight, twice as much water to remain hydrated etc etc.

SOME meds that are 100% psychological might be exceptions. For example, SSRI's don't go by weight because your brain will be the same size and it doesn't effect your body to work. I can't think of a single other med, though.

I would think it would depend on the drug and how that particular drug is metabolized.

RoA would make a huge difference as well.

And I think it would be more accurate to speak in terms of body fat, not weight.

I've been told by more than a couple docs that although weight may affect dosages in many meds, opiates are not too much like that. It was explained to me that these drugs work primarily on "the brain" and many of the chemicals present there (for instance, dopamine). However, there may be a slight weight factor to account for the actual metabolism of the medication.

One doctor even sort of joked and said, these drugs work on the brain, period. How much bigger do you think your 250 lb. brain is compared to some 150 lb. man? The answer is...none to very little. BTW, 20 years ago, I was able to convince a doctor (and clearly he graduated near the bottom of his class) to up my pain meds because dammit, I weigh nearly 300 lbs. for cryin' out loud! UFB!